Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artificial fucκing sweeteners in everything everything tastes like shıt now.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Aldi and Lil have some nice chocolate brands, Moser Roth. Tesco own brand milk chocolate is lovely as well.
    They melt in your mouth like Dairy Milk used too. Nowadays DM just turns into a claggy mush that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

I just imagine the people working on changing the recipes talking with contempt about the customer:

"they're only stupid low class scumbags, they won't know any better if we take sugar out and replace it with other cheaper stuff that is sweet. I mean, what's the issue? It's fewer calories. And they really could do with eating fewer calories. Have you seen some of these people? And they won't even read the ingredients anyway. If any person gets in touch to complain, we can just stonewall them with some bull**** comment about how our "great new flavour offer the same great taste but with less sugar". They should be grateful we are helping them eat better"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I got breakfast out in a local pub. I took a taste of the beans, grimaced, forced myself to swallow them and didn't eat the rest. My family, the rest of whom were eating a breakfast not including beans asked me what was wrong and accused me of being a "sugar addict". The beans didn't taste crap because of the lack of sugar, they tasted rubbish because of the dreadful artificial sweeteners. Sugar free seems to be the standard nowadays.Give customers the choice and don't assume. The girl who served us had very broken English so I didn't bother saying anything.

I tried to find a nice bottle of squash, haven't had one in years, ALL have sweeteners.

Even bastard mouthwash has sweeteners. I like the antiseptic taste of traditional mouthwash but corsydyl, a very expensive brand is the only brand like that now. All others are polluted with sweeteners.

The only soft drinks with real sugar are Pepsi, Club Orange and Coca Cola - all others have aspartame, sucralose etc.

Sweeteners can suck my left one. Just because Jacinta the local fatso can't keep the Snickers and Coke out of her gob for five minutes normal healthy people can no longer enjoy an occasional treat.

Anyone have a time machine to take me back to my childhood in the 90's?

why were you having breakfast in a pub ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I just imagine the people working on changing the recipes talking with contempt about the customer:

"they're only stupid low class scumbags, they won't know any better if we take sugar out and replace it with other cheaper stuff that is sweet. I mean, what's the issue? It's fewer calories. And they really could do with eating fewer calories. Have you seen some of these people? And they won't even read the ingredients anyway. If any person gets in touch to complain, we can just stonewall them with some bull**** comment about how our "great new flavour offer the same great taste but with less sugar". They should be grateful we are helping them eat better"

Weirdly, it's people with 'big bones' that suck down a few litres of diet drinks a day. Sweeteners totally mess up their systems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Something else that seems to affect the flavour of Cadburys is when they stopped wrapping it in foil and changed to plastic. I think it leaves a slight aftertaste in the chocolate.
    Before that the foil wasn't sealed. Once I got a bar of Dairy Milk that hinted of mint because the bars were displayed beside packets of Polo Mints.

Tainted in a very good way.

But yeah when changes are made look like they are cost cutting, then it's usually cost cutting and that means other changes are likely too.

The problem is that shareholders are usually there to make money. If a company is giving a good return happy days. But if they think they can make more money by sweating the assets, including brands, and then rinse and repeat on other companies.

The classic example is Whaling. The argument for sustainable whaling is that the shareholders won't kill the golden goose. The counter argument is that they can make a literal killing exterminating the whales.

Yes they loose an income stream. But they get a pile of cash because they won't have to pay to replace the ships which they can use to buy a better income stream.

• Advertisement

Cheaper Muffins in the Petrol stations. Only €1 even without having to buy coffee.

"Blueberry" flavour apparently, tastes more like gone bad lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

So people can swear and cuss on this forum which is not allowed on most forums but not make threads like I make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Its true soft drinks arent as nice but that just makes avoiding them that much easier. chocolate still tastes amazing though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This will sound weird, but... I only drink cola the odd time when I need a caffeine boost (e.g. if I'm tired but I have to drive), I find it works better and faster than coffee without the side effect of palpitations. Tea is good to keep you on an even keel, but it takes longer to act and there's a side effect (loo!) which might be an issue if you have to drive long distances. Anyway, I loathe artificial sweeteners, so every time I have to buy a bottle of cola I read the labels. Out of five supermarkets (Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu and Spar), only one kind of cola didn't have any artificial sweeteners listed: normal Pepsi Cola. All the other ones, including the supermarket own brands ones, had at least a part of artificial sweeteners, while normal Coke had both sugar AND sweeteners. Rotten. I think they started doing this on the pretence that they were becoming "healthier" drinks and because of the sugar tax, but I do believe it's all down to profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I put aspartame up there with MSG in the 'people think it's bad for you but it's been proven it's not when taken in normal amounts' category. It's like saying coffee is bad for you if you drink 10 cups a day. Well duh. MSG and aspartame are bad for you if you abuse them, otherwise they're perfectly fine in normal amounts.

And MSG is found naturally in foods like soy sauce, Parmesan and mushrooms. Aspartame is not, as far as I know...

New Home wrote: »
    This will sound weird, but... I only drink cola the odd time when I need a caffeine boost (e.g. if I'm tired but I have to drive), I find it works better and faster than coffee without the side effect of palpitations. Tea is good to keep you on an even keel, but it takes longer to act and there's a side effect (loo!) which might be an issue if you have to drive long distances. Anyway, I loathe artificial sweetener, so every time I have to buy a bottle of cola I read the labels. Out of five supermarkets (Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu and Spar), only one kind of cola didn't have any artificial sweeteners listed: normal Pepsi Cola. All the other ones, including the supermarket own brands ones, had at least a part of artificial sweeteners, while normal Coke had both sugar AND sweeteners. Rotten. I think they started doing this on the pretence that they were becoming "healthier" drinks and because of the sugar tax, but I do believe it's all down to profit.

Yes they save a fortune by using sweeteners. Aspartame for eg is 200 times sweeter than sugar so they can use a tiny amount compared to sugar. It's also cheaper to produce.

It's the same with chewing gum. I doubt there is a brand left anymore that uses just sugar and no sweeteners. (they don't always list it in ingredients, but if it says 'contains a source of phenylalanine' then it has aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

And MSG is found naturally in foods like soy sauce, Parmesan and mushrooms. Aspartame is not, as far as I know...

Not really much of a point though. Loads of things that offer basically nothing but impartially negative effects on the human body occur naturally.

Being natural doesn't equal OK, just as being artificial doesn't automatically make it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So people can swear and cuss on this forum which is not allowed on most forums but not make threads like I make?

No you can't :(.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Aldi and Lil have some nice chocolate brands, Moser Roth. Tesco own brand milk chocolate is lovely as well.
    They melt in your mouth like Dairy Milk used too. Nowadays DM just turns into a claggy mush that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

The Aldi Moser Roth was changed recently , i tried a bar of the white chocolate and also caramel and it was gone to muck.

The white chocolate used to use real vanilla pod , now its artificial. The caramel bar just tasted off.

There are some brands of chewing gums that use xylitol instead, which comes from birch bark, IIRC. Peppersmith, found in health food shops, is an example.

Homelander wrote: »
    Not really much of a point though. Loads of things that offer basically nothing but impartially negative effects on the human body occur naturally.

Being natural doesn't equal OK, just as being artificial doesn't automatically make it bad.

You're absolutely right, but I only I meant it in the sense of not demonising something that can otherwise be found already in foods. Of course, sulphur is natural and there are traces of it in certain foods, but I wouldn't recommend shovelling spoonfuls of the stuff in your curry, for instance.

The Aldi Moser Roth was changed recently , i tried a bar of the white chocolate and also caramel and it was gone to muck.

The white chocolate used to use real vanilla pod , now its artificial. The caramel bar just tasted off.
    :(

There are some brands of chewing gums that use xylitol instead, which comes from birch bark, IIRC. Peppersmith, found in health food shops, is an example.

Xylitol can be fatal for dogs. It's not adequately flagged on packaging. Even Bach Rescue Remedy Pastilles use it as a sweetener.

And to cats, too.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 41 Laughing with Me

The cúnts ruined Lucozade :mad:
    Since when though? Haven't had it in about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was going out on a long cycle a few weeks ago in hills around co Kerry and I was looking for something to put in my 2 bottles ..... absolute nightmare!!!! Everything sugar free

Had to go down shops to buy lucozade energy .....and some jellies ,,,, and some chocolate...

One of the bars I bought I thought was a flapjack but turned out to be a mush of rich chocolate ..... there was defo sugar in that .... I nearly shat myslef trying to find a good spot in the bushes..... the things you get yourself into

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Xylitol can be fatal for dogs. It's not adequately flagged on packaging. Even Bach Rescue Remedy Pastilles use it as a sweetener.

In large quantities. A dog isn't going to keel over from eating a few pastilles.

Same with chocolate. Obviously, it's toxic for dogs, and only an idiot would willingly give a dog chocolate, but equally a dog wouldn't collapse from eating a few squares.

Homelander wrote: »
    In large quantities. A dog isn't going to keel over from eating a few pastilles.

Same with chocolate. Obviously, it's toxic for dogs, and only an idiot would willingly give a dog chocolate, but equally a dog wouldn't collapse from eating a few squares.

Oh really?????? Are you a veterinary expert? :confused:

I suggest you take a look at this: Xylitol vs chocolate lethality for dogs.

No, not a vet, but even from that graphic you posted, a Labrador would need to eat about 100+ pastilles for it to be fatal.

Not to mention, about 2KG of chocolate.

I'm not claiming they're not toxic, but realistically, the quantities required are very large.

Chocolate is way more dangerous because dogs generally like chocolate.

Most dogs are not that interested in gum or pastilles.

Grapes or Raisins are actually far more toxic and far more likely to be around the house within reach of a dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

What drinks nowadays have no artificial sweeteners or Stevia crap. Obviously apart from water and milk.

Coca Cola
    Pepsi
    Club Orange
    Orangina

Are there any squashes or cordials? I think they're all ruined now.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Yikesoc

Irish water.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Xylitol turns your poo into pee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Xylitol turns your poo into pee

It's all in the vowels I guess! :pac:

Advertisement