Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭kc56

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody having issues with the Met Eireann App on iPhone ?

There was an update today with the notification features being added. Have updated the app and now it won’t even start up.

Try deleting and re-installing the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Why are daily rainfall totals 0-24 not always in agreement with sum of hourly values, e.g. yesterday Belmullet total 0.2 sum of hrly 0.4, Ballyhaise total 48.8 sum of hrly 46.8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

learn wrote: »
    Why are daily rainfall totals 0-24 not always in agreement with sum of hourly values, e.g. yesterday Belmullet total 0.2 sum of hrly 0.4, Ballyhaise total 48.8 sum of hrly 46.8 ?

They are correct, GMT values.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

App still dysfunctional, location not working, weather maps load poorly, location not in sync with regional forecasts.

Very nice of Met Éireann to ask for our feedback and then not take any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Clearly shows that the crowd, who gave it an award, hadn't used it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Forecast using New Ross as default (as I'm in east Waterford the Munster forecast is pretty pointless I find)
    Tomorrow

Rain in western parts will gradually move eastwards through the morning. Clearer, drier conditions will follow for the afternoon. Highest temperatures of between 9 and 11 degrees with moderate to fresh southeast winds veering west and easing as the rain moves through.

And the graphic to illustrate the above

2YQL1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Forecast using New Ross as default (as I'm in east Waterford the Munster forecast is pretty pointless I find)

And the graphic to illustrate the above
    Munster stops at about Youghal and then its no mans land.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:
    Munster stops at about Youghal and then its no mans land.

Them fighting words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Why the blank radar? It's very misleading and happens all the time at the end of a loop and often during

Is the A for advisory new?

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1199256691222683653?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Why the blank radar? It's very misleading and happens all the time at the end of a loop and often during

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1199256691222683653?s=19

I only use the old radar site. I find it simpler, more effective and dependable.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Mortelaro wrote: »

They got an award for it, what more do you want? "A" is for award :)

Just hope they don't bury the old radar page or we're all F&%Ked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Joe Public wrote: »
    They got an award for it, what more do you want? "A" is for award :)

Just hope they don't bury the old radar page or we're all F&%Ked

The link to the old site has been removed I see so I'd say it wont be too long

I just received a reply this morning from ME to my request of Nov 19th re update for the radar repairs :
    Hi *****,

The Shannon Radar has now resumed normal service.

Kind Regards

A****** W*****

Better (very) late than never I suppose.

spookwoman wrote: »
    The link to the old site has been removed I see so I'd say it wont be too long

I can still view the old site but I mainly use the new one. It's a higher resolution & updates every 5 minutes. A lot of the drizzle doesn't show on the old radar

Comhra wrote: »
    I just received a reply this morning from ME to my request of Nov 19th re update for the radar repairs :

Hi *****,

The Shannon Radar has now resumed normal service.

Kind Regards

A****** W*****

I'd prefer something better than their "normal service"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Discodog wrote: »
    I can still view the old site but I mainly use the new one. It's a higher resolution & updates every 5 minutes. A lot of the drizzle doesn't show on the old radar

Old website is much easier to read with less clatter and no unnecessary information (for some crazy reason there is "Ireland" marked TWICE on new map for example). It is also much easier to animate giving better view if you try to predict rainfall movement and growth.
    It may be easier on new one to see how is the weather at the moment over the place you heading to (with higher detail map) but I use Rainfall radar mostly to predict more or less if do I need my umbrella for next few hours or not.

zom wrote: »
    Old website is much easier to read with less clatter and no unnecessary information (for some crazy reason there is "Ireland" marked TWICE on new map for example). It is also much easier to animate giving better view if you try to predict rainfall movement and growth.
    It may be easier on new one to see how is the weather at the moment over the place you heading to (with higher detail map) but I use Rainfall radar mostly to predict more or less if do I need my umbrella for next few hours or not.

I find Meteoradar best for prediction.

https://meteoradar.co.uk/

Select forecast.

Met Eireann are well and truly getting on the climate change bandwagon now.......so sad.

• Met Eireann are well and truly getting on the climate change bandwagon now.......so sad.

Yes, they need to include the fact that natural events also affect climate, just like it has done so since the planet cooled sufficiently for climate change to commence.

Yes, they need to include the fact that natural events also affect climate, just like it has done so since the planet cooled sufficiently for climate change to commence.

IF Met Eireann want to be all politically correct they have no business talking about climate change because they are meteorologists not climatologists but I suppose they can use the get out of jail "all scientists agree man is causing climate change" BS and just keep the agenda going and going while it's of popular opinion, they're even teaching this rubbish science in schools instead of teaching them real science and then listening to these kids talk about it on the radio it's truly sad.

They should teach them the science of Radio and get them studying for their Ham Radio license , why ? because it's fun and because it teaches them real science , about how radio works and it can teach them to communicate to the outside world in the event of a modern communications blackout or shut down and also because without Radio they wouldn't have internet and teach them why that is, explain modern uses of radio, mobile phones, Wifi, Cell towers etc.

I was fascinated with science in School, it was my best subject but unfortunately what we were thought was also rubbish with little in the way of practical material.

Teaching about radio teaches them about electronics and how the atmosphere is responsible for global communications , they can build stuff and they can include modern digital electronics with radio and how the two together can provide say text communications to someone the far side of the planet with just a few watts of power using a simple radio and a raspberry pi.

Instead they brainwash Children and older secondary school children about climate change nonsense.

At least teach them the science of Weather, real science.

Who are these scientists ? are they all the worlds scientists or just climatologists ? pity they never come out in public and say they support the Global scam or they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

awkward.gif?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C408&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

IF Met Eireann want to be all politically correct they have no business talking about climate change because they are meteorologists not climatologists but I suppose they can use the get out of jail "all scientists agree man is causing climate change" BS and just keep the agenda going and going while it's of popular opinion.

I tend to agree, but I imagine, as Meteorologists, that Met Eireann staff would have a far greater understanding of climate, and most certainly the Irish climate, than these so-called 'climatologists' and 'climate scientists', whom, without this climate agenda thing to cling onto, are basically not of much use or value to the functioning of society.

What even is a 'climate scientist' anyway? Seems to be a very loose term to give some sort of air of 'authority'.
    Who are these scientists ? are they all the worlds scientists or just climatologists ? pity they never come out in public and say they support the Global scam or they don't.
    Good question, and for some reason when I hear it asked, I am always reminded of that scene in the 'Wizard of Oz' when they uncover who the 'wizard' really is.

New Moon

• Not really weather related, but a good video on long term climate change.

Well worth the 55 minutes it'll take to watch.

Climate change has become a major political issue, but few understand how climate has changed in the past and the forces that drive climate. Most people don't know that fifty million years ago there were breadfruit trees and crocodiles on the shores of the Arctic Ocean, or that 18,000 years ago there was a mile-thick glacier on Manhattan and a continuous belt of winter sea ice extending south to Cape Hatteras. The History of Climate provides context of our current climate debate and fundamental insight how the climate works.

Dr. Daniel Britt is a Professor of Astronomy and Planetary Sciences at the Department of Physics, University of Central Florida. He was educated at the University of Washington and Brown University, receiving a Ph.D. from Brown in 1991. He has had a varied career including service in the US Air Force as an ICBM missile launch officer and an economist for Boeing before going into planetary sciences. He has served on the science teams of two NASA missions, Mars Pathfinder and Deep Space 1. He was the project manager for the camera on Mars Pathfinder and has built hardware for all the NASA Mars landers.

Britt currently does research on the physical properties and mineralogy of asteroids, comets, the Moon, and Mars under several NASA grants.

Seems like Met Eireann started removing elements from old archive.met.ie website. 3 day map is gone:

met-eireann-old2.png

Old view from https://web.archive.org/web/20190905233907/http://archive.met.ie/:

met-eireann-old1.png

Yes, I noticed they have been taking bits out of the older website ok :(

I still can't warm to the new site, I have tried but failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was at the Met Éireann stand at the BTYSE today and they had a great big weather station up for grabs in a raffle!

I was at the Met Éireann stand at the BTYSE today and they had a great big weather station up for grabs in a raffle!

You should have said "how dare you steal my website, my childhood, my dreams with your empty promises" or words to that effect :)

May it be final straw in a pushing users into new Met Eireann website - say goodbye to green color map:

Rainfall.png

Now we have all white Ireland (could it be just for winter maybe ;):

white-Ireland.png

white-Ireland2.png

If SF get into government they should bring the green back as a matter of priority.

• Advertisement

zom wrote: »
    May it be final straw in a pushing users into new Met Eireann website - say goodbye to green color map:

Rainfall.png

Now we have all white Ireland (could it be just for winter maybe ;):

white-Ireland.png

white-Ireland2.png

That's a pretty lousy map alright. They probably want to make it as unattractive as possible in order to make people use their new website.

Advertisement