Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player is Live!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

culabula wrote: »
    Is the wrong answer.......RTÉ One and Two as well as TG4 ARE available in the OTs on all the major digital platforms where they are not available in the UK. Therefore it does not follow that online media be blocked to north-east Ulster.
    Is the wrong answer.......If RTÉ allowed northern ireland to get in, they would have to allow the whole of the uk aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Can RTE geoblock stuff like Home and away, Greys Anatomy etc and unblock/flag homegrown stuff for the north and the rest of the world?
    Is this possible?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

CutzEr wrote: »
    Is the wrong answer.......If RTÉ allowed northern ireland to get in, they would have to allow the whole of the uk aswell.

Can you not read? We already get RTÉ/TG4 in the north on all digital platforms. It remains blocked to the UK because they do not have to allow any such thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

gambiaman wrote: »
    Can RTE geoblock stuff like Home and away, Greys Anatomy etc and unblock/flag homegrown stuff for the north and the rest of the world?
    Is this possible?

Of course they can; they already do this on Sky and Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Overall it's very good. However tonights news stalled after 8 min. Prime time is fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hagar wrote: »
    Well done on the IP blocking all the same, a great chance to reach out to the Irish overseas squashed, couldn't have that now could we? Not even for the home-produced stuff, such as the nuacht, that there would be copyright issues over.
    Bravo. Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

This is down to licensing issues, BBC iPlayer is no different....shame on the BBC for not allowing people outside the UK to watch content ;)

RTE may not make all the shows themselfs, you can argue all you want about it but its not going to change for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Snaga wrote: »
    I imagine they provide the service to those most likely to have paid the irish TV license - much like why most of the BBC iplayer content is geo locked to the UK.

In neither case is it to do with TV licence. but royalties and rights.

RTE would have to pay more to staff / makers even for Irish content if available abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Very impressed by the service, very speedy and great quality, and most of all the site is very easy to navigate. Content is ''ok'' at the moment but looks to get better.

Well done RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 parsebandit

is it possible to download anything to stop the interruptions in streaming?

Also any ideas how to get an Irish vpn to see this from abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maynooth11

I mentioned yesterday that rte player would't work well its working fine today. must have been first day hitches with the site or something . it seems great. am no longer as disappointed about channel 4 catch up no longer being available in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

A proxy maybe.

I'd say you need a good internet speed to get this to work without buffering. Works perfect on the university computers, little bit of buffering at my apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

No you can't download them for now.

The server checks the client and passes on the key only if it's the RTE Player applet. It is encrypted and uses the rtmpe protocol.

One way is screen camming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Recommended connection is 1MB ADSL, RTE don't offer a download option...though its something they are working on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Just found this today - VERY impressed! Well done RTE! ;)

Would like to see a HQ or HD option (like youtube) for people with faster broadband.

Also is the Fullscreen function working you the rest of you? It's not working for me, just getting a still image. Tried in both IE and Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

All I get is a black screen with a "cog" in the centre.
    Spear wrote: »
    When you go the page www.rte.ie/player are you redirected to www.rte.ie/player/# instead?
    And yes, I get the # added to the URL.

mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm getting the same as mickzer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 parsebandit

thanks. bbc's iplayer works much better by downloading so the sooner it can be done the better.

On VPN does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've seen comments on twitter that RTE cut out the adbreaks and simply replace them with 3-5min of a dark screen....very foolish!

They would be better of just having the episode as a whole without any caps...ala BBC
    The ITV catch-up service removes the adverts from TV but keeps the ad-break slot and fills it with adverts from companies who have paid for online adverts!! Nice but there are so few advertisers using it that you see the same two adverts in every break! Maddening!
    Cabaal wrote: »
    The site is Geo IP locked so if your not accessing the site via an Irish IP Address then forget about it, (much the same as UK IP with BBC iPlayer site)
    Boo! I'd gladly pay an Irish license fee if they would unblock this for individuals!!
    Hagar wrote: »
    Well done on the IP blocking all the same, a great chance to reach out to the Irish overseas squashed, couldn't have that now could we? Not even for the home-produced stuff, such as the nuacht, that there would be no copyright issues over.
    Bravo. Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.
    Aye, it would be great to be able to watch this stuff! :)
    Snaga wrote: »
    I imagine they provide the service to those most likely to have paid the irish TV license - much like why most of the BBC iplayer content is geo locked to the UK.
    I'd pay an Irish license fee so I could watch it, it's a pity they can't do something like this. :(
    CutzEr wrote: »
    Let us use your iplayer, and you can use our RTE player :D
    :D Indeed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is it confirmed that they insert blank spaces where the ads were? Looking through the site, the running times seem to be listed as what they should be with ad breaks cut out completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Kahless wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that they insert blank spaces where the ads were? Looking through the site, the running times seem to be listed as what they should be with ad breaks cut out completely.
    I thought this too

mickzer wrote: »
    All I get is a black screen with a "cog" in the centre.

And yes, I get the # added to the URL.

mickzer.

Spear, you seem to know something about why I'm not able to see any more than the "cog". Care to elaborate......?
    TIA

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have to congratulate RTE on this, superb job.

RTE have managed to avoid all the mistakes that the BBC made with their iPlayer.

RTE use flash, so it works on a wide variety of OS's, including Macs, Linux, Solaris, I even got it working on my PS3!!

It actually looked well, fullscreen on my 50" plasma through the PS3, great job.

Also no need to register or log in and a very nice, professional, clean and easy to navigate interface. Brilliant job RTE, pints on me if I meet any of you guys around Dublin.

The only thing I would like to see from RTE now is to make their radio streams iPhone/iTunes compatible (basically plain MP3 streams rather then crappy Realplayer streams).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

gary82 wrote: »
    Also is the Fullscreen function working you the rest of you? It's not working for me, just getting a still image. Tried in both IE and Firefox.

I sorted this. It wasn't RTE as YouTube started doing it too...
    In case anyone else has the same problem: Right click in the RTE Player for the flash settings, and unselect "Enable hardware acceleration".
    bk wrote: »
    RTE use flash, so it works on a wide variety of OS's, including Macs, Linux, Solaris, I even got it working on my PS3!!

It actually looked well, fullscreen on my 50" plasma through the PS3, great job.

That's great that it work's on PS3! Anyone try via the Wii yet?

RTE's next job is to link the programs mentioned throughout their website to the Player, they're still linking to the Real Player files....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear, you seem to know something about why I'm not able to see any more than the "cog". Care to elaborate......?
    TIA

I don't have any particular knowledge of this aspect, it should just be a redirect.

Spear wrote: »
    I don't have any particular knowledge of this aspect, it should just be a redirect.
    Sorry , I misunderstood. (Not for the first time)
    My player is still showing as Beta, should it be?

mickzer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sorry , I misunderstood. (Not for the first time)
    My player is still showing as Beta, should it be?

mickzer.

It's still in beta, just open to the public, much like most Google services are beta for years after release.

Received this from RTE:

Dear Michael,

Thanks for contacting RTÉ player with your query.

If you can view programmes from The Den, Den Tots, TTV category or the Live News stream the problem may be related to ad blocking software.

There is also a known bug related to this problem within the beta version of the RTÉ player.

We hope to have this resolved soon.

Regards,

The RTÉ player Team
    www.rte.ie/player

So maybe it's not only me . I'll just have to give them a chance to fix it.

mickzer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »

Unfortunately flash doesn't work well with most phone web browsers which would be nice.

Do they keep everything up for ever or is it only available for a few days after release. Hopefully the former as it would be great for catching up on older episodes of shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

gary82 wrote: »
    Just found this today - VERY impressed! Well done RTE! ;)

Would like to see a HQ or HD option (like youtube) for people with faster broadband.

THIS ^^

I'd also like to see the full catalogue of shows that was previously available through the realplayer to be available through this. There used to be at least 10 episodes of the Panel available. It would be great to be able to watch them through the RTE Player.

Advertisement