Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walrus

• 17-06-2019 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭

160813d_Ardneset_60-1.jpg

What is Walrus ?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing this ?

I think this is another game type that might become very popular on boards.ie

Why am I really doing this ?

I love music, but I dont listen to enough of it. Because I find modern pop music to be so horrid, I tend to listen to CDs in my car or if im at home, songs on youtube that I have listened to millions of times over and over again. I rarely if ever tune in to the radio. It's time to hear something new. Even if its an old song that I've never heard before. I just want to expand my horizons.

What kind of music am I into ?

Electronic is what i pretty much listen to 98% of the time. Trance, House and variants of both are my daily thing and I love finding new music in both all the time. I grew up listening to Rock and pop of the 80's and 90's and I love almost all music types from metal to classical. I'm not a fan of Rap, hiphop and R&B. Submissions of that type carry a big risk, but thats not to say you won't submit something that I end up loving. I never listened to A tribe Called Quest until a couple of years ago someone suggested Electric Relaxation and I ended up loving them and tracking down all their music, so thats an example of me discovering something out of my genre preference that I ended up loving.

Submit to me songs that you think I'll like first and foremost. Submit to me songs that you think I may not have heard of before. Submit to me whatever fits the categories. Whoever submits the songs I like the most, will win :)

Categories are ::

1. A great cover song - i love to find cover versions of songs where you say to yourself, that's just so much better than the original. Give me a cover version of a song where you think the cover is better then the original or of a different slant like a pop song done as a metal song or a rock song done as a dance song.

2. A song with a great intro - The intro is something that really pulls the listener into the song. Submit to me a song with a great intro. I'll be judging the whole song, but the weighting will veer slightly towards how much I enjoy the intro :)

3. A song from 2019 - Whenever I turn on the radio these days, I pretty much just end up turning it off within a few minutes because I find modern popular music to be just torrid stuff. Submit to me something that was released in 2019 that you think i might like. Restore my faith in modern music :)

4. A song from before 2010 - Now that I've made you google songs from this year, send me on a song from your back catalogue that you love and you think I'll love too!

5. A song sung in a language that isnt English - I like a lot of songs that are not sung in the english language. Knowing what is being sang is not necessarily as important to me as how great it sounds. Sometimes the voice is an instrument all by itself.

6. Summer Songs - Lets face it, the summer has been pretty miserable so far for the most part. Give me a song that just makes you think of summer! Sun, Sea, Sand, Sex and more Sun!

That's your categories

Remember, the most important element of this is submitting songs you think I'll like. But when faced with 2 songs I like equally, if there's one I havent heard before, that 1 will edge it.

Scoring :: if there are 10 entrants into the walrus, then the song I like least will score 1 point, while the song I like the most will score 10 points and so on in between. Just because I score your song a 1, doesnt mean it's a bad song. It just means it didnt work for me :)

Submissions are due by Sunday 30th June. With the reveal to take place about a week after that. Gives me time to listen to all the music submitted :)

PM your submissions to me with the PM title - Walrus. Just to differentiate it from my sheep entries :)

P.S. When submitting your entries, include a link to where I can listen to the song. This ensures two things. 1. I dont have to go searching for the song. 2. Its the exact version of the song that you want me to listen to.

Someone could submit XYZ by the ABC's but because there is no link to the actual song, I'll goggle the wrong remix of the song and end up hating it when the person might have wanted me to look at the album version.

Submit links to places where I can listen to the song freely. Youtube preferred, but if its soundcloud or spotify or anywhere that i dont need a subscription, that will do :)

Good luck! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'll have to put some thought into this but I'll definitely enter

But I thought I'd mention Blood on the Tracks, it's a BBC podcast along very similar lines. 4 guests picking music in random categories. When they all click it's a brilliant listen, I'd say you'd like it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wgfst/episodes/player

(the only downside is you can't download episodes from outside the UK, but you can listen on their website)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Entered. Walrus seems like a kind of game you could send multiple entries into if you were so inclined :P

Wait till Mick sees this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ooh I'll have to put together an entry for this later on. I already have ideas for a few of the songs. I'm interested to see what the reveal is like.

Mick is gonna be all over this and hard to beat!

I’ll be submitting. Can we fire our submissions in here after PMing you or do we wait for your reveal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wait for the reveal IMO. Part of the fun is seeing what other people submitted at reveal time

Also, please only 1 submission per player. Listening is fine, but I will be listening to each submission several times and I don't want the reveal taking all year. Just submit your best piece that you feel fits the category!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You nearly have to go with the first thing that comes into your head! I'd be liable to give six completely different answers in an hours time

Yeah I think I’m gonna do this soon and not overthink it.

PM sent. I’ve had a great morning listening to tunes going on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Rikand!!!! Stop with the bloody games. I have to spend at least some time each day outside of FG. Why must you do this to me

tenor.gif?itemid=5417529

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Oh I like the sound of this game - needs thought and time (I think I have little of either at the moment) - very tempted.

And then I entered...

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    Rikand!!!! Stop with the bloody games. I have to spend at least some time each day outside of FG. Why must you do this to me

Once you're in you're in Tusk. There is no leaving FG. Mwah haw haw!

I have a really interesting one for number 5. Even if you don't like the sound if it, its fascinating.

Done!

I decided not to overthink it :-P

I definitely aimed more for interesting and, hopefully, new to you than ones you're sure to like. I hope one of the six makes you really sit up and notice, that'll reward me more than you liking all six

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Once you're in you're in Tusk. There is no leaving FG. Mwah haw haw!

It's like the hotel California.

-

I'll try get an entry in tonight!

I've just basically given Rikand an idea of my musical tastes. Lol. Maybe we'll all discover some new music here!

This could take minutes or weeks, great idea.

must resist urge to submit 6 different covers of I am the walrus that match the categories

Don't forget, you have almost 2 weeks to submit. And then it'll be a little after the submission date before reveals start happening. It's gonna take a while for me to listen to and rate all this new (and old) music :)

What happens if people enter the same songs?

Does the non English song have to be all no English?

Same songs results in a tied score

To match category fit, the majority of the song should be non English. But if the song is balls blindingly brilliant then it will probably score well no matter what

Whatever I choose will be mainly alright just checking if a little bit was allowed ty

• Advertisement

Cat1 already shaping up to be a very difficult category to judge. So many great entries!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The problem is this

I'm talking to a lad in work thats giving out about having to take his dad to Billy Joel at the weekend, he says the only thing he likes is piano man. I say what about only the good die young, he says well ok, piano man and only the good die young. It quickly descends into a life of brian sketch, "well apart from piano man, only the good die young, allentown, uptown girl, its still rock and roll to me, you may be right, shes got a way, new york state of mind, we didn't start the fire, just the way you are, movin out, my life, scenes from an italian restaurant (my favourite) and tell her about it what has Billy Joel ever given to us??"

Goodnight saigon, thats what, which has an amazing intro

So I've to resist the urge to go back repeatedly and change my submission

Really struggled with the intro category

Green&Red wrote: »
    ... I've to resist the urge to go back repeatedly and change my submission

Agreed! But I'm resisting

I wanted to resist obvious answers too,even though that may be the way to win!

My favorite user comment from a song I'm considering

My Neighbors like the song so much, they threw a brick through my window to hear it better ;)

8 walruses in so far. Need more!

This was tough, trying to fit genres, into Rikand likes, into categories, trying not to be too popular, but also trying to win

long/short im in

2 days to get your entries in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Will try get one in over the weekend Rikkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Finally sent. A slightly weird mix of songs there. :)

Advertisement