Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looper *SPOILERS FROM POST 137*

Options
  • 18-03-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/18/wondercon-looper/

http://ie.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1221028p1.html

^ Some images
    In the futuristic action thriller Looper, time travel will be invented – but it will be illegal and only available on the black market. When the mob wants to get rid of someone, they will send their target 30 years into the past, where a “looper” – a hired gun, like Joe – is waiting to mop up. Joe is getting rich and life is good… until the day they decide to “close the loop”, sending back Joe’s future self for assassination.

The premise of the movie sounds quite interesting and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a very good actor who did well with Rian Johnson in the past in Brick

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've heard about this, could be great, apparently they brought the lads from Primer on board to help out with the time paradoxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i dont know if im taking this up wrong but it sounds ridiculously contrived. why wouldnt they just kill the person in their present?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've heard about this, could be great, apparently they brought the lads from Primer on board to help out with the time paradoxes.

Yes Shane Carruth is involved

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Synopsis sounds like absolute rubbish.

But I do like Rian Johnson an awful lot. Brick is great and The Brothers Bloom is a very underrated and playfully subversive film. He has a way with genre deconstructions. I'd be very surprised if there aren't some very interesting tricks up his sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Been looking forward to this, those pics of Levitt Willis-ized look kinda weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'll just leave this here:

tumblr_m229yaBfyd1qzb6wro1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know, Willis seems to be the guy that just can't say no, with dreadful additions to the Die Hard series to that muck Surrogates and Cop Out, so, is this going to be one of those or a RED, not a comedy per se but a decent action flick.
    We shall see....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't know, Willis seems to be the guy that just can't say no, with dreadful additions to the Die Hard series to that muck Surrogates and Cop Out, so, is this going to be one of those or a RED, not a comedy per se but a decent action flick.
    We shall see....

Don't pretend like you're not stoked he's in GI Joe 2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm not usually into sci-fi, but I have hopes this will be good, mainly because I've seen Rian Johnson's other films, and I trust him as a director/writer. Also, JGL tends to make good decisions (with a few unnamed exceptions :P), so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Another trailer for a trailer..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm really looking forward to this film, it sounds interesting and hearing the guys from primer are involved gives it some extra nerd cred which is always good. Hopefully it's good, I love my sci-fi and I'm sick of the lack of decent sci-fi films lately.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Trailer

Looks quite good. Impossible to tell it's Levitt. Sounds like Willis and all

The movie looks good, but I'm not quite sure about the make-up. I appreciate they're trying to get him to look more like bruce, and that makes sense, but his mouth, or something, his face just doesn't look right. Maybe its just because I'm so used to Levitt's normal face I suppose :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, there's something not quite right about Levitt's face - I think it's the eyebrows, they look a little silly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think it could be a mix of his mouth and the different colour of his eyes.

Looks like some sort of a gay android. :pac:

Seems that there are going to be two versions of the film, in order to entice a number of Chinese investors a lot of scenes were shot in China but test audiences felt that the pace suffered due to it.

According to the LA Times:
    But now some of the scenes shot as part of the China deal won’t make the film's Western release. According to two people involved with the production who were not authorized to talk about it publicly, those moments ended up on the cutting-room floor in the English-language version. But the footage, which showcases Shanghai streets and landmarks, is being added back into the Chinese version at the request of financiers from the country.

The scenes, mainly exposition about how Gordon-Levitt’s character took a downward spiral, did not test well with American audiences, who felt it upset the film's pacing. “But the Chinese didn’t care about pacing, and they wanted the [China-set] scenes in, so we said OK,” said one of the two people involved with the film. (Some other Chinese scenes do wind up in the Western version.)

New international trailer out for this, Rian Johnson, the director, tweeted the following today apparently so be warned:
    If you're already set on seeing Looper, I'd avoid any trailers from here on out. They don't ruin the movie, but they tip a few little things that are fun to discover in the context of the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it might be ok, though the chief concept seems very contrived. Why is the best way to off your problem people to send them back in time?

Also: maybe it's just me, but Levitt's fake eyebrows are still very distracting lol :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks like it might be ok, though the chief concept seems very contrived. Why is the best way to off your problem people to send them back in time?

It's a bit of a stretch in that it assumes the technology is widespread enough to be used by a variety of criminals while at the same time being unregulated (though I suppose it may be established that for some reason or other it can't be regulated, ie once you know how to make the relevant machinery that's it, you can do whatever you need to do).

In terms of "why send them back in time?" it's about mob hits and how they're investigated.

In the present, there's no body - so the victim is only ever officially "missing", not confirmed as dead.

In the past, the body can be found, but won't be matched to any dental records, DNA records, fingerprints, etc. So it's just yet another John or Jane Doe.

(My inner sci-fi nerd is tapping one foot expectantly and saying "A smart government official in a world with this tech available would realise that you'd need to have end-to-end identification for people available, and start some sort of program to deal with it like mandatory ID registration on birth, or sending identity records back in time to the limit of the technology's abilities to assist local law enforcement, or even having some sort of Not Crap version of the agents in Timecop who monitor for unauthorised time travel operations." But if the folks behind Primer have been brought in to consult, we can at least expect that the script will be internally consistent and quite clever...)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did you just say the guys behind Primer are involved? That's surprising and awesome in equal measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

New trailer. JGL looks nutty.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

JGL looks like the kid from THe Shawshank Redemption who Tim Robbins takes under his wings
    but gets shot by the warden

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Am really looking foward to this and trailers look good. Rain Johnson has a great track record with his films so I def think this might be a hit at the box office.

Yesterday is was announced that the film has been choosen to open the Toronto Film Festival.

Here's hopeing my local Odeon will be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

Seen the trailer twice in the cinema in recent weeks. It looks slick enough but as a few people mentioned I kept thinking why would they not just kill the person in the future.

whatislife wrote: »
    JGL looks like the kid from THe Shawshank Redemption who Tim Robbins takes under his wings
    but gets shot by the warden

That guy from Ally McBeal?

9995.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

rossy1044 wrote: »
    Seen the trailer twice in the cinema in recent weeks. It looks slick enough but as a few people mentioned I kept thinking why would they not just kill the person in the future.

If you transport the person through time then there's no loose ends whatsoever in the future - it's not like police will investigate how the victim "went missing", they no longer exist in the future setting.

If you transport the person through time then there's no loose ends whatsoever in the future - it's not like police will investigate how the victim "went missing", they no longer exist in the future setting.

they would still exist in the future if you sent them to the past

indough wrote: »
    they would still exist in the future if you sent them to the past

How? They get shot and killed in the past when no-one will be able to investigate their murder and no-one will notice them missing. By the time they actually dissappear their body is already decomposed or disposed of.

How? They get shot and killed in the past when no-one will be able to investigate their murder and no-one will notice them missing. By the time they actually dissappear their body is already decomposed or disposed of.

there would still either be a record of them having been found or else a body out there waiting to be found, and im sure they keep dna samples and info on dental records of unidentified bodies by now. a smart detective would just have to put together the link between this new time travel and the sudden total disappearances of people and start checking those people against the dna database. im sure in a future where time travel is possible we would have computers that could do that cross-referencing in no time. either way even if they didnt link them straight away the bodies would still exist in the present albeit somewhat decomposed. there are much easier ways of totally disposing of a body than sending it back in time, but while the plot is ludicrous it still looks like it might be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes seem extremely positive at this point. Consensus seems to be that it is an extremely unique sci-fi that is of the standard of the greats. I didn't recognise Levitt when I saw the Trailer. :D

Advertisement