Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Portlaoise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Kaiser.
    Have you looked at property in Kilminchy at all?
    I'd agree about Parkside- being a noisy spot with the GAA would be the best reason for looking elsewhere.
    I've found the letting agencies are slow to follow up on enquiries, but there is a lot available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kaiser.
    Have you looked at property in Kilminchy at all?
    I'd agree about Parkside- being a noisy spot with the GAA would be the best reason for looking elsewhere.
    I've found the letting agencies are slow to follow up on enquiries, but there is a lot available.

Yeah Kilminchy is another one I was considering but it seems to be on a fairly busy roundabout, or is it set back enough/insulated enough that this wouldn't be a big problem from a noise perspective?

Also looking at one online here in Maryborogh Cresent.. Any thoughts on that estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wouldn't recommend kilminchy at all. What about the hermitage

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yeah Kilminchy is another one I was considering but it seems to be on a fairly busy roundabout, or is it set back enough/insulated enough that this wouldn't be a big problem from a noise perspective?

Also looking at one online here in Maryborogh Cresent.. Any thoughts on that estate?

Not familiar with estates on Dublin road. There is a Maryborough village on the Mountrath road-lovely houses, friends rented there before buying.
    Have you /can you take a day out to have a look?

Sometimes,Portlaoise gets knocked.Yes, there are dodgy areas-everywhere has those.
    There are some lovely areas and it's close to motorway. That's important.
    Hope you're lucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Micz1111

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I live in portlaise, and not from the area originally. It's not the biggest kip in the world, but Newbridge/Naas/Carlow or Kilkenny all have a better selection of shops, restaurants, gyms etc. Portlaoise is small enough

I moved from Naas last summer. Believe me...there is nothing interested in this town, there is no selection of the shops ....lots of them is closed down....even Penneys is going to be close soon...and prices for rent or buy house are nearly same as Dublin prices.
    I'm in Portlaoise since june 2014 and in my opinion was really worth to move in here.
    30min free parking on main streets (try to find it in Naas...hehe)..even my car insurance went down €100 compare to Naas...
    As all other towns there are good and bad points.
    green bus from Portlaoise to Red Cow €5

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Micz1111

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I live in portlaise, and not from the area originally. It's not the biggest kip in the world, but Newbridge/Naas/Carlow or Kilkenny all have a better selection of shops, restaurants, gyms etc. Portlaoise is small enough

I moved from Naas last summer. Believe me...there is nothing interested in this town, there is no selection of the shops ....lots of them is closed down....even Penneys is going to be close soon...and prices for rent or buy house are nearly same as Dublin prices.
    I'm in Portlaoise since june 2014 and in my opinion was really worth to move in here.
    30min free parking on main streets (try to find it in Naas...hehe)..even my car insurance went down €100 compare to Naas...
    As all other towns there are good and bad points.
    green bus from Portlaoise to Red Cow €5

Hey all.. Any thoughts on Foxburrow/Cherrybrook behind/beside the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sweetpea90

I'm going to be moving to portlaoise in the next few weeks. Going to be commuting to Dublin daily. Really not getting a good impression of the town from what I'm reading..I'm wondering have I made a mistake with my choice. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Sweetpea90 wrote: »
    I'm going to be moving to portlaoise in the next few weeks. Going to be commuting to Dublin daily. Really not getting a good impression of the town from what I'm reading..I'm wondering have I made a mistake with my choice. .

Portlaoise is grand.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    Im not from there btw.

Hey all.. Any thoughts on Foxburrow/Cherrybrook behind/beside the hospital?
    Should be okay, potential for sirens due to proximity to hospital, but you can get that anywhere.It's close to motorway for you.

It's really not that bad- don't actually live in town but have friends who do and have no issues.
    Like all towns, there are okay, good and better areas to live - ask around before you commit to a location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You need to check it out for yourself. And before you move there and commit to anything. Wouldn't live there if you paid me but everyone's different and has different needs.

We were looking at houses around station road and beechfield? Does anyone know what they are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Should be okay, potential for sirens due to proximity to hospital, but you can get that anywhere.It's close to motorway for you.

It's really not that bad- don't actually live in town but have friends who do and have no issues.
    Like all towns, there are okay, good and better areas to live - ask around before you commit to a location.

+1.

Live in Portlaoise, and like The Princess Bride said , it's not the worst of places, central to everywhere really . Beechfield has a good reputation afaik, never heard anything bad about it. Don't know anything about Station Road tbh. Go have a walk about the town , get a feel for it, good or bad , best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Station Rd has a couple of issues. The row of houses with a courtyard I've seen raided by garda for drugs. Party's seem quite popular too. There is also a some sort of African community hall and come the summer they love having all the windows and doors open and by god do they like to sing! And it goes well on until very late in the evening's.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Station Rd has a couple of issues. The row of houses with a courtyard I've seen raided by garda for drugs. Party's seem quite popular too. There is also a some sort of African community hall and come the summer they love having all the windows and doors open and by god do they like to sing! And it goes well on until very late in the evening's.

Any idea what Beechfield is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Any idea what Beechfield is like?

Beech field isn't bad.actually 1 of the nicer parts of the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

The 1st answer is yes.

2nd its like Tallaght only smaller on the + side Houses Apartments
    Rent is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

We were looking at houses around station road and beechfield? Does anyone know what they are like?
    To be honest I don't know what living there is like but I always thought the path from the station to the underpass was a little cramped and dodgy. The path towards cinema not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

I would pick beech field over station road, the station road area is quite cramped at least with beech field you are in an estate, you'll have a bit of space and are not stepping out onto the street!

Isn't there a methadone clinic somewhere along station rd/Jessop st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

No , as far as I know it's on the main road, along Coote Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Portlaoise even has a Methadone clinic? Flippin hell...

road_high wrote: »
    Portlaoise even has a Methadone clinic? Flippin hell...

Some of local pharmacies dispense methadone to their patients.
    Same as any town where there isn't a designated clinic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The old midland health board used to have some sort of clinic, opposite mollys bar on the corner of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

haha its kinda mental to hear people talk about the town etc.....

Portlaoise is not as bad as some of the replies listed on the thread! Obviously there is issues - as with every townland area - with drugs etc - but that is part of society these days! Not a nice part - but a part nevertheless! There are parts of Kildare, Monasterevin, Newbridge etc that would be exactly the same - thats no reflection on these areas as i have friends and family in all parts.

Portlaoise has positives & negatives - Positives - central location with excellent commuter routes - good bar scene with comedy clubs and music etc. Regular grocery shopping has excellent options in portlaoise! Cinema, bowling alley, golf club and leisure facilities are excellent - the swimming pool etc. Portlaoise is a commuter town so there is an abudance of different accomodation depending on your requirements.

Negatives - Lack of employment opportunities - as mentioned there have been no investment in employment in the areas as long as i remember. Lack of high street shops - No River Island, M&S, Debenhams etc. Lack of Late Night club options - or at least quality options. Whilst there is a few nice restaurants there is a demand there for more main stream food - as mentioned above - Indian, Chinese and fine dining are all well covered and seasons is more fine dining - but when sometimes you just want a steak and a match we dont have somewhere like the dinn ri in carlow etc.

Other than that im living in portlaoise 6 years - previously lived in carlow - and tbh i like the town! Were currently in the process of purchasing a home and i would be very hestitant to move out of Portlaoise! Thats my 2 cents worth - just felt that it was getting a lil too negative on some of the comments!

P.S. i lived in beechfield - the estate is nice and quiet - but the houses are old and cold - lot spend on heating in them - just a tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 louise2pre

Eskerhills is close to the town within walking distance and only 5 mins to the motorway. Bellingham is another estate but further out of town. How is your property search going?

Just to update..

So I did move down in the end *waves* and so far so good. Settled in now and pretty happy all told! :) Now I have NEW questions :p

- What's the best butcher in the town in terms of selection and price/deals?
    - Best pub? (I'm very late 30s)
    - Best chipper/Chinese/pizza place for those times when I'm feeling bold?

Leaving at just after 6am, I'm hitting the office before 7 which is pretty good. On the return trip it's taking about an hour as well - but I've been lucky so far with no gridlock!

Best Chinese is either the one over subway or the one out in Fairgreen.
    Sally's, the leithin and coppers are my fav bar.
    O'gormans for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Best Indian Ali baba, Chinese in fairgreen is very good but best Chinese curry sauce is the not very originally named portlaoise Chinese takeaway. Ninos is a nice chipper, the one at the bottom of main street, the fountain It might be called does great deals. not too sure about pubs only living down here two years and haven't found on particular pub to call home yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just to update..

So I did move down in the end *waves* and so far so good. Settled in now and pretty happy all told! :) Now I have NEW questions :p

- What's the best butcher in the town in terms of selection and price/deals?
    - Best pub? (I'm very late 30s)
    - Best chipper/Chinese/pizza place for those times when I'm feeling bold?

Leaving at just after 6am, I'm hitting the office before 7 which is pretty good. On the return trip it's taking about an hour as well - but I've been lucky so far with no gridlock!

The butchers block in the shopping center is good.

Pub ive no idea

Chipper, i like francesco's out by the euro spar.
    Pizza place I have only tried mizonni's not sure if there is any other tbh.

Advertisement