Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

That's a sick thing to say about someone's children.

Human garbage behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He has form for this type of ****e

He dm the below to Blindboy from The Rubberbandits

After Blindboy said

https://www.balls.ie/mma/conor-mcgregor-message-to-blindboy-386965

a fantastic put down of Blindboy all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I am afraid he just can't help himself, he is blessed to have successfully paid of everyone so far in order to be able to not serve any time which would remove any chance of him getting to states.

He is addicted to the life and possibly other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

First fight for zuffa boxing?
    Angling for a boxing match? What a promoter!

It won't happen. Keeler would batter him. And no mega millions or incentives for Keeler to carry him for entertainment purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

It won't happen. Keeler would batter him. And no mega millions or incentives for Keeler to carry him for entertainment purposes.

Sorry to tell you but professional fighters do not 'carry' ever, as they know that anything can happen. They always try their best at every moment no matter who they're fighting or whats at stake.You may see mayweather as some invincible superhuman who could've stopped mcgregor in the 1st round if he wanted to but you would be wrong. Pro fighters have far more experience behind closed doors, they know they're not invincible and that there's no such thing as letting someone landed punches for 'entertainment' purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

spix wrote: »
    Sorry to tell you but professional fighters do not 'carry' ever, as they know that anything can happen. They always try their best at every moment no matter who they're fighting or whats at stake.You may see mayweather as some invincible superhuman who could've stopped mcgregor in the 1st round if he wanted to but you would be wrong. Pro fighters have far more experience behind closed doors, they know they're not invincible and that there's no such thing as letting someone landed punches for 'entertainment' purposes.

Punches is stretching it a bit. I think Mayweather wanted a rematch down the line. But sure lets wipe that bout from our memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Hopefully one of them Murray fools gets a slap of Keeler before McGregor. Keelers just as bad all the same the whole things embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I am afraid he just can't help himself, he is blessed to have successfully paid of everyone so far in order to be able to not serve any time which would remove any chance of him getting to states.

He is addicted to the life and possibly other things.

Money does buy class I suppose.
    He is probably a bit lost now, and does not know what do with himself
    What does he do next he does not need to do anything else in life?
    He has achieved his goals - multi-millionaire.

I wonder does he regret giving up the plummer job?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Thanks for that. We can collectively bow to your superior boxing knowledge and experience ;)

Where do you rank Conor McGregor in the annals of all time boxing greats? Top 10? top 5? I man to give him his dues, he did win a Dublin novices tournament back in the day.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Hopefully one of them Murray fools gets a slap of Keeler before McGregor. Keelers just as bad all the same the whole things embarrassing.

Met him years ago at a show. Came across as a sound fella. He won his fight well too (and against another senior boxer whose name escapes me right now). I'm fairly sure he got boxer of the tournament. I think he was doing his degree at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Think it's time to dip out of here for a while until everyone gets tired of reminding us that they don't like him, repeatedly. Like the MMA version of vegans.

Except vegans don’t actually go on about being vegans.
    Meat eaters like you just moan about vegans and how you perceive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Effects wrote: »

Ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was no incentive for Mayweather to carry him either. :confused:
    It's been two years. That's a long time to be still stinging.
    Effects wrote: »
    Meat eaters like you just moan about vegans and how you perceive them.

Credibility shot with that one. ;)

#NotAllVegans

Can somebody explain the context of mentioning Bobby Messet and Paul Kavanagh? I don't particular follow Dublin Gangland killings.
    Messet was a bystander shot in Bray Boxing club. So that's presumed link to Keeler. Is there one to Kavanagh? MGM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Money does buy class I suppose.
    He is probably a bit lost now, and does not know what do with himself
    What does he do next he does not need to do anything else in life?
    He has achieved his goals - multi-millionaire.

I wonder does he regret giving up the plummer job?

He wasn’t ever a plumber. He tapped out of the apprenticeship (plumbing pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

He wheeled dee out for some photos in the daily mail. He was a family man all along. Seems we made a mistake here.

Mellor wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the context of mentioning Bobby Messet and Paul Kavanagh? I don't particular follow Dublin Gangland killings.
    Messet was a bystander shot in Bray Boxing club. So that's presumed link to Keeler. Is there one to Kavanagh? MGM?

I think he was saying Keeler is accepting money from people who could be linked to those murders

There was no incentive for Mayweather to carry him either. :confused:
    It's been two years. That's a long time to be still stinging.

Credibility shot with that one. ;)

#NotAllVegans

There was around €100 million reasons to carry that fight. But sure its 2 years ago i cant get into this again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He wasn’t ever a plumber. He tapped out of the apprenticeship (plumbing pun intended).

McTapper!

ROTFLMAO!

There was around €100 million reasons to carry that fight. But sure its 2 years ago i cant get into this again

Mayweathers money was already made the second the bell rung. If he was letting mcgregor have success hoping for a rematch like you suggest, where is the rematch? Mayweather didn't want it, he went off to Japan to take a blatantly rigged exhibition 'fight' for at most 1/10th of what he'd make if he actually fought a real fight. If Mayweather was so unfazed by mcgregors ability in boxing and could've stopped him whenever he wanted like some people suggest, why didn't he go fight him in the UFC, make far more money than even a boxing rematch and knock him out in the 1st exchange. Because the truth is he knows he struggled to take him out in his own sport so has zero chance in mma. Even though he said he'd do it beforehand, after the fight he removed any possibility of that. Mayweather is even older now, you think he'd let 'easy money' from a mcgregor boxing rematch or ufc fight pass him by? Shouldn't he have just cashed in on that immediate rematch and just stopped him in the 1st round so that everyone knows how good he really is, and he only let mcgregor get to 10th round in their 1st fight for 'entertainment' purposes.

I guarantee what you saw in that fight is what it was. Mayweather struggling early on with mcgregor slipping most of his punches. Mcgregor struggling with his endurance after a few rounds, eventually lost his composure which let Mayweather land his punches. But you can't really expect an unbiased opinion from someone with the alias 'sweet.science' when talking about an mma fighter vs boxer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. We can collectively bow to your superior boxing knowledge and experience ;)

Where do you rank Conor McGregor in the annals of all time boxing greats? Top 10? top 5? I man to give him his dues, he did win a Dublin novices tournament back in the day.

'Donald Trump' Have you ever heard of aging, out of prime, over rated? And how can you ask me to rank someones position as a boxing all time great when they never competed for a prolonged time in it, thats a bit of a stupid question :rolleyes: Thats not a reason to believe he can't compete with someone recognized as one. The 'best boxers in the world' get competitive sparring with unknown amatuers all the time. Becoming an all time great is not just about ability, its about how your career is handled and sometimes just luck.

Mayweather gets paid just as much for a round 1 knockout. You know this.
    I thought after two years people would be done with the stories. But sure its grand, think what you like.

I guarantee what you saw in that fight is what it was. Mayweather struggling early on with mcgregor slipping most of his punches. Mcgregor struggling with his endurance after a few rounds, eventually lost his composure which let Mayweather land his punches. But you can't really expect an unbiased opinion from someone with the alias 'sweet.science' when talking about an mma fighter vs boxer.
    I don't think Mayweather struggled per se. He just played it very cautiously. He output was very low.
    I don't think being a boxing fan should exclude somebody from being rational. Some of his biggest detractors from the boxing side pre-fight gave a bias "better than expected" type review.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone who thinks Floyd carried McGregor has no idea about combat sports,

It was a real fight,

Floyd done what Floyd does took a few rounds to see what his opponent is all about and then worked out a way to win ,

McGregor was know for his one shot kp power so Floyd had to be careful early and figure out how that was going to transfer to boxing,
    Once he felt Conor and felt him slow down round after round he just waited until his moment to pressure Connor and finish it,

Floyd has never took chance's that's why he has never been beat so why would he take chances in the McGregor fight , He knew McGregor's only chance was a power shot and once that was gone he just walked him down ,

If you think Floyd would get into a shoot out early you've never seen him box ,

Anyone who thinks Floyd carried McGregor has no idea about combat sports,

It was a real fight,

Floyd done what Floyd does took a few rounds to see what his opponent is all about and then worked out a way to win ,

McGregor was know for his one shot kp power so Floyd had to be careful early and figure out how that was going to transfer to boxing,
    Once he felt Conor and felt him slow down round after round he just waited until his moment to pressure Connor and finish it,

Floyd has never took chance's that's why he has never been beat so why would he take chances in the McGregor fight , He knew McGregor's only chance was a power shot and once that was gone he just walked him down ,

If you think Floyd would get into a shoot out early you've never seen him box ,

Yup 100%. Hes didn't become one of the greatest ever (maybe the greatest) across 50 fights by taking silly risks. And hes an opportunist when he wants to be.

1316319895.gif

McGregor was know for his one shot kp power

There's an ould fella probably propping up a bar somewhere as we speak who might disagree ;)

Mayweather gets paid just as much for a round 1 knockout. You know this.
    I thought after two years people would be done with the stories. But sure its grand, think what you like.

I don't think Mayweather struggled per se. He just played it very cautiously. He output was very low.
    I don't think being a boxing fan should exclude somebody from being rational. Some of his biggest detractors from the boxing side pre-fight gave a bias "better than expected" type review.

His output was low but imo, that was mostly because he was struggling to land. Every time he threw a right hand mcgregor slipped it or countered. He tried a few different setups for it but mcgregor still read it. Why throw punches if they're going to miss? So he elected to cover up and pressure before trying again. He thought he had him in round 6 and went for the finish after landing a few consecutive shots but mcgregor slipped his follow up punches and came back with his own. Mayweather went immediately back to forward pressure covered up. People say he fought like that because mcgregor was so bad and showed how little respect he had for him but imo, its just a case of styles make fights. With mcgregors style, that was the safest kind of fight for mayweather. He was fighting a younger longer opponent with good ability to keep distance and read punches. He had to wear him down. If he fought more like his usual style (backing up and counter punching) it would've given mcgregor breathing room and more ability to use his attributes. I'm sure Mayweather would've loved to tried to knock him out early but you don't get to 50-0 in boxing by doing anything other than what is your safest path to victory.

I've seen many people claim he could've stopped him like Tenshin if he wanted to. Look at this combo mayweather dropped Tenshin with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmrfwkDdirg&t=1m41s Tried the exact same thing against mcgregor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGCfFFzgrI&t=17m13s Well here he is trying in round 5 with the same punch he dropped Tenshin with, and it misses.

His output was low but imo, that was mostly because he was struggling to land. Every time he threw a right hand mcgregor slipped it or countered. He tried a few different setups for it but mcgregor still read it. Why throw punches if they're going to miss? So he elected to cover up and pressure before trying again. He thought he had him in round 6 and went for the finish after landing a few consecutive shots but mcgregor slipped his follow up punches and came back with his own. Mayweather went immediately back to forward pressure covered up. People say he fought like that because mcgregor was so bad and showed how little respect he had for him but imo, its just a case of styles make fights. With mcgregors style, that was the safest kind of fight for mayweather. He was fighting a younger longer opponent with good ability to keep distance and read punches. He had to wear him down. If he fought more like his usual style (backing up and counter punching) it would've given mcgregor breathing room and more ability to use his attributes. I'm sure Mayweather would've loved to tried to knock him out early but you don't get to 50-0 in boxing by doing anything other than what is your safest path to victory.

I've seen many people claim he could've stopped him like Tenshin if he wanted to. Look at this combo mayweather dropped Tenshin with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmrfwkDdirg&t=1m41s Tried the exact same thing against mcgregor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGCfFFzgrI&t=17m13s Well here he is trying in round 5 with the same punch he dropped Tenshin with, and it misses.

Dude, there is no need to take it personally. It is not an insult to the man to suggest he is not a top boxer. He's an athlete and I'm sure he'd turn his hand to most sports much quicker than the average person.

It's like that RTE program where they sent Lee Chin to play ice-hockey in Canada or Michael Murphy to play rugby in France for a week - they did very well for beginners. At the same time it's not an insult to them to say that they wouldn't be competing at any World Cups or Olympics.

McGregor broke even with a club boxer in a Crumlin a couple of months ago.
    And people still believe a boxing bout against the greatest boxer of his generation wasnt a work
    People are easily led

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

oh my god the Mayweather talk is back

• Advertisement

McGregor broke even with a club boxer in a Crumlin a couple of months ago.
    And people still believe a boxing bout against the greatest boxer of his generation wasnt a work
    People are easily led

They certainly are. He had headgear on in Crumlin.

Advertisement