Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bono urges crowd to dig deep for homeless

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

_Brian wrote: »
    Perhaps if the super rich paid a fair share of taxes more funding could be circulated where it’s needed.

If the phenomenally generous tax free allowance of over €18,000 was reduced to €15,000 (and it would still be one of the highest tax free limits in the world) the amount of extra cash would put any potential tax from the wealthy into the hapenny place.

And if the massive amount of money spent on duplication of administration in the literally dozens of "homeless" charities was channelled into homes, the number of homeless would drop dramatically.

The homeless charities have their own agenda. Sorting out the issue is not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

He isnf doing anything. He’s asking other people to. Homelessness can only be solved by the government.

And the goberment can only redistribute finances based on tax paying citizens paying their fair share

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The musicians here put on a show of top quality music for over 2 hours. It's fair enough to ask the crowd to throw a tenner into the Simon boxes. It was a busk for Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It’s a good idea to help homeless people especially at this time of year. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Well done bono.

What are their families doing? A lot of homeless are that way because of their addiction to drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Joined by another hypocrite Glen Hansard.
    Oh lets break into this vacant building and begin squatting here and claim we are solving the housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

GMSA wrote: »
    Joined by another hypocrite Glen Hansard.
    Oh lets break into this vacant building and begin squatting here and claim we are solving the housing crisis.

At least he had the balls to say it was a mistake and he regrets he got involved with that shower of political union publicity seekers who had the keys to their luxury, heated and empty office building on Fitzwilliam Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

P_1 wrote: »
    Why didn't the fawning middle class masses not boo the prick when he started busking?
    Why didn't the working class masses do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Paid taxes.

So has Bono , the company is registered in the Netherlands he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

sugarman wrote: »
    Exactly, another non issue but a chance to have a bit of outrage and a pop at Bono and co.

In fairness Nobby is very hypocritical in his pronouncements. He gets ridiculed for reason. It's hard to find an Irish pop/rock figure as wealthy, but for example let's say the late Dolores O'Riordan, she wasn't perfect, like us all, but she wasn't a hypocrite on issues of poverty and wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Logo wrote: »

This seems to happen quite a bit. A Ballymun address magically turns into Glasnevin :pac:
    Cedarwood Road was part of a new estate in Ballymun when Bono was born in 1960. It remains a thoroughly respectable location (now Glasnevin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

The annual look at us! Look at us! Won't someone please LOOK AT US (oh and help the poor people) lecture/concert. I'm really sick of them all at this point. And most of the people who watch this sh1te in Grafton Street every year are as bad. One lad I know goes in there every year specifically to catch the gig and he wouldn't give to charity if it was to aid his own mother.

Anyway I wonder how much of the money raised on Monday in the buckets will actually reach those who need it once fundraising fees, marketing, administration and wages are taken out of it. By all means give financially to charities but always make sure they are local and all the money goes to the people who actually need it not to the staff in the office of the "charity". I avoid any of those with the high profile CEOs on 6 figure salaries and/or their name over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Logo wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/property/homes-stars-dublins-celebrities-live-10956129
    Killiney is something of a celebrity hotspot, and just down the road from Enya is
    another obscenely rich Irish musician - good old Bono.

His family home is in Ballymun on the Northside, but the U2 star lives in a plush Vico Road mansion with his family.

The article is wrong in many cases.
    Can Morrison’s wife lived in Dalkey he never did. The edges house is very out of date , me moved out of that one and into another one off killiney hill years before it was written

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'll never understand how U2 were ever a success. Their music is mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Simply put, until Bono gives away the majority of his enormous fortune to the charitable causes he champions, he doesn't get to guilt trip the rest of us paycheck to paycheck strugglers into giving our money away.

As for his band, they should have given up twenty years ago.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bono seeks attention that is all he needs all the attention of everyone all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Why didn't the working class masses do so?

Because only the middle class "yeah I'm liberal, sure didn't I buy a repeal jumper" twats who go to these things just to be seen at them only got it.

Heaven forbid they actually cause a scene, loike omg that would be totes morto.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'll never understand how U2 were ever a success. Their music is mediocre at best.
    Bland is popular, but in their early days that weren't bland imo. They did some brilliant stuff between '79 and '87 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Poor auld Bono, he must have missed the news. The housing minister is going to sort out the homeless(ness) crisis.
    No need for him to waste his time busking about it.
    Still though nice thought.

P_1 wrote: »
    Because only the middle class "yeah I'm liberal, sure didn't I buy a repeal jumper" twats who go to these things just to be seen at them only got it.

Heaven forbid they actually cause a scene, loike omg that would be totes morto.
    Really annoying the way it's become fashionable to have a go at middle-class people. Much of the time by middle-class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you are old enough to remember them at their peak they were one of the best

We had a load of things peak late 80's early 90's in this country

In the arts and in sport

Won't happen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why pay more taxes than you legally have to ?

It's not like the taxes the government already take in are used to solve homelessness.

The State spends close to 150m pa on the Dublin Region Homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

They were a promising band in the late 70's a good band in the 80's and in the early 90's they were a great band. They've been on a steady decline since the late 90's and should have done the decent thing and split up long ago.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Folks, the music isn't the debate in this thread. Forget about that, it's irrelevant to the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Can’t remember the last time I gave two shït what a celebrity says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Bono should zip it. For every one person he encourages to give to the homeless, I'd say he turns five people off doing it. Same for Glen Whatshisname.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He was talking to a few hundred people who were happy to stand on the street Christmas eve and listen to the busking. It would be bad enough form to go there and not throw a few quid into the boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

If you are old enough to remember them at their peak they were one of the best

We had a load of things peak late 80's early 90's in this country

In the arts and in sport

Won't happen again

E and the associated clubs as well definitely peaked around then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Hypocrite comes to mind whenever i think of these preaching celebs time for them all to put their money where their mouths are or feck off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Can Bono please go and live on a moon of Mars?

Spare us his sanctimonious, hypocritical sh*te...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Nobby tells the proletariat what to do whilst not paying tax in his country of birth where said problem is.

Just fcuk off Nobby, you're just a mouthpiece.

Why do you call him Nobby? It makes you sound childish.

He gave a free performance, he is perfectly entitled to ask those attending to contribute to charity.

I don't particularly like him, or his music, but I really don't understand some people's rush to criticise something like this.

And are we sure he pays no tax in Ireland?

Advertisement