Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We've heard a lot about her, but what about working people who aren't looking for 'a free house', but who can't (or don't want to) buy one and are searching for a rare and expensive rental property instead? Do you sympathise with them?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Of course you are I think you are the most prolific poster on the thread dedicated to her,but surely mentioning her the amount of times you do is more than just opinion . Personally I think you do it in the same way certain posters here used Derek Byrne as a means to try and denegrate the water charge protest. Cash is only one person out of thousand's who are classed as homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Great so you showed a link for how many people rent.

Now have you a link for your claim its getting harder for large sections of society?

You've got to be kidding, right? If larger numbers of people are renting, and the cost of renting is going up relative to incomes, then things are obviously getting harder for large sections of society.

You've got to be kidding, right? If larger numbers of people are renting, and the cost of renting is going up relative to incomes, then things are obviously getting harder for large sections of society.

Incomes are also going up.

You’re kidding right?

Not at the same pace as rent increases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You’re kidding right?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Celebrities not fact checking and just repeating horsehit that was shown to be such fairly soon after the event. Hmmm . Usual folk lappingnit up though. As well as Tommy Robinson not being named in a reply but called "a journalist " and keeping stuff vague to whip up more ****e about the UK.

https://twitter.com/RobMSheehan/status/1043521161856995328?s=19

It's talking ****e like that that got you killed Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You’re kidding right?

They're not even remotely close to keeping pace with rent increases in Dublin and I'm pretty sure this is so blindingly obvious as to not require clarification. If you were indeed unaware, I sincerely apologise for failing to include this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Paddy Cosgrave making an idiot out of himself on Morning Ireland. Asked the same question 5 times, refused to answer it. Used the period given to rant in general against FG and RTE.

Car crash stuff.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Paddy Cosgrave making an idiot out of himself on Morning Ireland. Asked the same question 5 times, refused to answer it. Used the period given to rant in general against FG and RTE.

Car crash stuff.

Was he the guy who suggested a crack down on AirBnB like Germany has done?

• Advertisement

They're not even remotely close to keeping pace with rent increases in Dublin and I'm pretty sure this is so blindingly obvious as to not require clarification. If you were indeed unaware, I sincerely apologise for failing to include this information.

Is this another statement without any real figures to compare?

How about this, a 3,000 euro pay rise in a few weeks.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/60000-public-servants-to-get-3k-rise-in-next-budget-870968.html

We can’t be sure but id take a guess 3,000 euro extra might well be more than the majority of people rent increases, but I’m willing to wait and see some figures you can produce that shows this isn’t true?

We can’t be sure but id take a guess 3,000 euro extra might well be more than the majority of people rent increases, but I’m willing to wait and see some figures you can produce that shows this isn’t true?

You're really making of fool of yourself.

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Its a valid arguement, 60k people getting a 3k increase will go a long way towards any rent struggles they are having

Wow thanks.

Great discussion going there.

That’s your contribution?

That’s your contribution?

To you? Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Someone (not Margaret Cash) should introduce legislation to tackle this. Attachments to earnings/dole or whatever.

They covered all bases fairly sharpish to ensure any such non compliance was covered ref the LPT, you'd nearly think they're not really trying with social housing payment arrears.

I remember people saying that you couldn't get attachments to earnings/dole for the water charges because something something unconstitutional. Has it changed now for local authority rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Anyone who allows the Sunday Independent to shape his opinions may be safely dismissed.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    There is no similar land available close to the city centre.

We have a number of problems, those on the housing list want to live near the city centre but they don't want to live in high-rise apartments, and anyway the stupid DCC won't give permission for high-rise. There is no solution unless unrealistic expectations are changed.

Anyone who allows the Sunday Independent to shape his opinions may be safely dismissed.

What a strange post in response to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

You’re kidding right?

Wowzers. *Requires a facepalm.

Can't link it i'm afraid but I see the minister for housing has admitted in the Times a plan to deliver 3500 social houses under renovation scheme has only managed to deliver 15 houses nationwide. Big on plans FG short on delivery it would seem . Minister relaunched the scheme in February last and has announced the scheme added 6 houses to the stock to-date including the 9 delivered last year that's a sum total of 15. Wow.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the interview with one of the protesters from Saturday saying that all her “homeless” niece wants is somewhere with a back garden with room for a trampoline. I kid you not! https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-housing-activists-take-back-the-city-attempt-to-host-their-biggest-protest-yet-37343707.html

Anyone see the interview with one of the protesters from Saturday saying that all her “homeless” niece wants is somewhere with a back garden with room for a trampoline. I kid you not! https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-housing-activists-take-back-the-city-attempt-to-host-their-biggest-protest-yet-37343707.html

dont forget somewhere for the bikes,the dog, a shed,a decking,attic conversion,a kids play room in addtion to the dining room,a big drive to fit the 2 cars in.....

Maryanne84 wrote:
    Anyone see the interview with one of the protesters from Saturday saying that all her “homeless†niece wants is somewhere with a back garden with room for a trampoline. I kid you not!

Listened to the interview her niece would like a home with a back garden to fit a trampoline for her 6 year old and friends to play in. The evil cow how dear she desire somewhere for her child to play safely with her friends and the further cheek to want to have a toy in said garden. You are right to be outraged.
    Anyway any thoughts on the 15 homes delivered out of the 3500 planned by FG?

Listened to the interview her niece would like a home with a back garden to fit a trampoline for her 6 year old and friends to play in. The evil cow how dear she desire somewhere for her child to play safely with her friends and the further cheek to want to have a toy in said garden. You are right to be outraged.

The Irish mentality that everyone deserves a house with a back garden for a trampoline is the biggest problem with housing policy in this country.

In every other country in the world, children can be brought up in an apartment block, but somehow, not in Ireland. What is most surprising is that this expectation culture in Ireland is strongest among those who are contributing least to the economy or sometimes not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Anyway any thoughts on the 15 homes delivered out of the 3500 planned by FG?

I also want a house with a back garden big enough for a trampoline & some decking.

I don't fancy paying for it either,

Give me it now.

blanch152 wrote:
    The Irish mentality that everyone deserves a house with a back garden for a trampoline is the biggest problem with housing policy in this country.

What an amusing generalisation, lazy but amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I guess we could supply a house in Leitrim that would meet those requirements, but I imagine there are a long list of other demands as well.

I also want a house with a back garden big enough for a trampoline & some decking.

What size trampoline they come in various sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go off and have 2 children , wait 8-9 years you may be offered a house if your income is under 30k.
    meantime you may be living in a hostel or a hotel .
    i heard on rte radio dublin city council built houses recently ,each house cos5 500k to build even they they own the land , the site cost is zero .
    if you don,t pay the rent the council may will evict you maybe after
    6 months.
    I think most of the council tenants in dublin live in apartment blocks ,
    with only a small garden,if they live on the ground floor.
    it would be alot cheaper if the council just paid private builders ,
    heres a site ,build 10 houses ,cost maybe 200k.
    And even cheaper if the council used the buildings they have,
    theres 100,s of empty council flats in dublin, boarded up.
    IF you are offered a council apartment and turn it down, it will go to the next person on the housing list.
    IN reality you take the apartment and after a certain time you can swap it for another one in a different area.

The council sold off most of its house,s with gardens to council tenants .

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote:
    I guess we could supply a house in Leitrim that would meet those requirements, but I imagine there are a long list of other demands as well.

The government only managed to supply 15 houses over 2 years from a plan that was to deliver 3500. There might be no house available in Leitrim.

Advertisement