Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

golden state killer arrested

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

conorhal wrote: »
    That's amazing all right, amazingly disturbing... It would seem that these DNA genealogy sites are pretty free with who they allow access to your genetic profile.
    When you see the uproar over facebook's retention of massive amounts of sensitive information, it makes me think you'd be crazy to provide a DNA sample to these companies, who knows who they're selling it to.

You might for example start to wonder why your health insurance just doubled and never know your healthcare provider bought your genetic profile and decided you were now high risk.

If the government wanted to have access to all your private communications and a DNA sample to create a national DNA database of citizens, people would hit the roof, but create exactly the same thing in the guise of entertainment and people seem more than happy to oblige.

These sites just show you as matching with people you are related to, and you show up to other people as matching to them and your profile is not available to the public.
    What may have happened is that they set up an account based on the killers DNA and based on who he was related to they were able to triangulate back to him (maybe he was a suspect and this was a way of confirming).
    People who have tested did not have to have their DNA profile trawled through and it’s really no diierent than someone looking for a relative.
    I have tested with two conpanies and uploaded my DNA to two other additional sites and to be honest, this doesn’t bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ipso wrote: »
    These sites just show you as matching with people you are related to, and you show up to other people as matching to them and your profile is not available to the public.
    What may have happened is that they set up an account based on the killers DNA and based on who he was related to they were able to triangulate back to him (maybe he was a suspect and this was a way of confirming).
    People who have tested did not have to have their DNA profile trawled through and it’s really no diierent than someone looking for a relative.
    I have tested with two conpanies and uploaded my DNA to two other additional sites and to be honest, this doesn’t bother me.

They couldn't have set up an account in the normal way without the site being aware because you need a saliva sample and also it's illegal to submit a person's DNA sample to the site without their permission. If they did that then there is a chance that he may get off in court.

Seems like they were able to gain access to the DNA profiles of whatever site it was and run a comparison in the same way they would their own database. I mean, it's good that he has been caught but it's pretty shady.

Here is another case where law enforcement did a similar thing. And ended up arresting and accusing the wrong guy of murder. Luckily in this case they were able to get a discarded sample from deAngelo before they apprehended him so they were sure it was him

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_1b3a3f96-d574-59e0-9c6a-c3c7c0d2f166.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Announcing his arrest on Wednesday, authorities said Mr DeAngelo's name had never surfaced as a suspect prior to last week, when a DNA match was made.

Officials initially did not disclose how their investigation led to Mr DeAngelo, whose DNA had never previously been collected.

But yesterday, Steve Grippi, chief deputy district attorney for Sacramento County, said detectives narrowed their search by using genetic information available through commercial genealogy websites furnishing personal family histories to consumers who send DNA samples in for analysis.

Confirming details first reported by the Sacramento Bee newspaper, Mr Grippi said investigators compared DNA samples left by the perpetrator at a crime scene to genetic profiles on the ancestry sites, looking for similarities.

He did not address whether the websites volunteered the information or were subject to a search warrant or subpoena.

Detectives followed the family trees of close matches, seeking blood relatives who fit a rough profile of the killer.

The process produced a lead a week ago, pointing to Mr DeAngelo based on his age and whereabouts at the time of the attacks, Mr Grippi said.

Investigators found Mr DeAngelo, placed him under surveillance and obtained his DNA from a discarded object, finding a match to a crime scene sample. A second, more decisive sample was collected from him days later and came back positive on Monday.

Authorities have not disclosed the relative whose DNA helped solve the case.

Mr DeAngelo is known to have at least two adult children.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2018/0427/958588-golden-state-killer-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/true-crime-fans-will-definitely-watching-gripping-documentary-golden-state-killer-624372

Sky Living Friday 9pm, 5 part Golden State Killer: Unmasked documentary starts with a double episode

Advertisement