Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

PFitz86 wrote: »
    Hi riddlinrussell

how did you develop this map ? and have you got this data spatially - can you pm me would like to know more on the data.

Pulled it together from various sources, gps marked trails, and stuff, a lot of it I just drew on google maps following features on Satellite view, once that was done the majority of the work is just keeping the ear to the ground to discover announcements of new routes, funding for planned routes, new plans, or getting feedback from people on the ground about the various trails that seem to just suddenly get built with zero fanfare, or were actually better than I have marked them on the map before I even started.

If you want you can actually pull all the data down, its fairly easy to get from the map itself.

Ive been asked to do it up in OpenStreetMaps but I haven't had time to learn the interface and its not really up to the accuracy standard I'd want it to be for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Seeing reports from local politicians that Waterways Ireland are to go ahead with the Grand Canal section of the Barrow Blueway (Lowtown to Athy, via Rathangan and Monasterevin), the next step is to seek funding from the Department of Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, I'm presuming with and election not too far away that'll have a decent chance for quick approval.

Good news for our area here, probably a little while more before work starts but hopefully not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Map in op not working for me, is there a link to a new map or.... tia

vicwatson wrote: »
    Map in op not working for me, is there a link to a new map or.... tia

Still working for me, what happens when you click in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Works for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I just had a look at this, great stuff.

I did notice a line from Cruagh Woods to Ballyogan. The actual greenway runs from Cruagh Wood (a road in Stepaside) rather than the woods. See the following from DLR co co:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/council-democracy/capital-programme/cruagh-wood-greenway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

When will the track be completed from Donabate to Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

When will the track be completed from Donabate to Lusk?

It's only at a very early stage but you never know with all that money to be spent. Portmarnock to Malahide and Malahide to Donabate are in the queue ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Still working for me, what happens when you click in?

Goes to google maps and states “couldn’t open map” and gives option to “try again” or “cancel”

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Goes to google maps and states “couldn’t open map” and gives option to “try again” or “cancel”

Are you viewing it on iPhone? seems theres a known issue with a possible fix here

https://support.google.com/maps/thread/8806737?hl=en

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I just had a look at this, great stuff.

I did notice a line from Cruagh Woods to Ballyogan. The actual greenway runs from Cruagh Wood (a road in Stepaside) rather than the woods. See the following from DLR co co:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/council-democracy/capital-programme/cruagh-wood-greenway

Thanks, I was wondering about this mystical gigantic cycle route!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

KAGY wrote: »
    breakdown of funding in pdf found in link above. The two biggest are Boyne greenway 750k and sligo/leitrim 400k,

Wow, a lot of potential there. Hopefully, as well as the funding, there will be some analysis done of why schemes have taken so long to get to construction stage and some measures introduced to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Wow, a lot of potential there. Hopefully, as well as the funding, there will be some analysis done of why schemes have taken so long to get to construction stage and some measures introduced to speed things up.

One reason I believe is that cash-strapped councils didn't have funds for all the preliminary stuff needed before something can go to planning, feasibility environmental impact etc. In the 1st round of funding under the Greenway Strategy only "shovel ready" projects got funded and many others stayed "stuck". So then in January this year, Shane Ross announced seed funding to bring other projects to the shovel ready stage and that's the money that was announced last week.
    Another reason might be that even if councils have money there seems to be a shortage of engineers or they're all engaged in road projects!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

a lot of forestry work going on on the ballycastle to newport section of the western way , which is supposed to eventually be a greenway to tie in with the great western greenway, hopefully its a start to getting forestry work done and getting on with developing it, 90 percent of the work is done , as its going across an established surface, has serious potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-county-council-commences-part-8-planning-application-harry-reynolds-road-pedestrian-and
    Fingal County Council has commenced the Part 8 planning application process for the Harry Reynolds Road Pedestrian and Cycle Route in Balbriggan.

The route forms part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan and will be an important element of sustainable infrastructure within the town of Balbriggan.

Linking several schools and local amenities and serving a large part of the local population, the National Transport Authority-funded scheme would also provide for a future link to the proposed Fingal Coastal Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kccamper

Not a huge update but there is a section of the Boyne Valley to Lakeland County Greenway completed in the village of Nobber, Co. Meath and another section in Castletown due to be completed in 3 weeks. The plan is to link these two sections initially when funding is secured giving a 10km of the overall 30km route. Navan to Wilkinstown needs work to be carried out by Tara Mines on a water pipe (scheduled for early 2021) before work can start on that section. Long time coming but great to finally see progress, albeit incremental.

Is the railway between Drogheda and Navan still in use? I know it is as far as Platin, but from Platin to Navan? Google maps would suggest it's not over grown like the Navan to Kingscourt one.

Not even sure if that line is connected to the northern mines route form Navan to Kingscourt still or was it ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is the railway between Drogheda and Navan still in use? I know it is as far as Platin, but from Platin to Navan? Google maps would suggest it's not over grown like the Navan to Kingscourt one.

Not even sure if that line is connected to the northern mines route form Navan to Kingscourt still or was it ever?

Trains still travel from Tara Mines, in Navan, to Drogheda and onwards to Dublin Port.
    At night,if the wind is from the right direction, I can sometimes hear the engines ticking over from my gaff.
    They seem to park them between Calvary Cemetery and Dublin Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xWj03aueGw

I walk the dog along the industrial estate between Johns and Water Wipes after 10 some evenings and hear them chugging along . Used to love as a young lad standing on the bridge on the old Matthews lane making the honk honk gesture at them as they passed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kccamper

The Kingscourt line branches off behind Navan hospital. The Tara Mines line originally ran to Kells and then on to Oldcastle but that alignment seems quite affected by private dwellings (still potential for a Greenway but haven't heard of any plans locally). Some interesting info about these lines here@ http://www.navanhistory.ie/index.php?page=railway-stations

Yeah I was talking to my dad about it earlier as he's from Navan and basically told me the same.

He even remembers getting the train to Bettystown (more likely Laytown) as kid when they still had passenger services to Drogheda and beyond.

Was reading through the new mobility funding and saw these new routes mentioned.

Slang River there is to be an extension of the Slang River Greenway in Marley Park (€156K)

Extension of the Cruagh Greenway to Stepaside Park. This will connect Stepaside park to the green line Luas (€500K)

A new cycleway beside the existing walkway on the Skerries Coast (€125K)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grassey wrote: »
    Slang River there is to be an extension of the Slang River Greenway in Marley Park (€156K)

Slang is a greenway, but compared to any of the others its a glorified local shortcut. Really shoehorned in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

Seems to me that Galway's greenway will never happen :-(

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    Seems to me that Galway's greenway will never happen :-(

Very much depends which of the Galway greenways you are talking about! Clifden to Galway is in the works and partially built as it stands, and there seems to be a fair bit of momentum on it.

Galway to Ballinasloe is a different matter, it seems like they might be looking at a more holistic approach than before when they wanted to CPO, which killed the project. They might go for a railside solution, they definitely don't seem to be thinking of using the same route they had planned. That sections outcome may rest on the decision in the Kerry Greenway court case over CPOs.

Ballinasloe to Athlone now seems like it will be a bit of a dogleg down to Clonmacnoise and then up the Ballinasloe Canal, not the most direct route, but if that isnt done before the pedestrian bridge over the Shannon then there might end up being two routes, an indirect and direct to Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

Very much depends which of the Galway greenways you are talking about! Clifden to Galway is in the works and partially built as it stands, and there seems to be a fair bit of momentum on it.

Galway to Ballinasloe is a different matter, it seems like they might be looking at a more holistic approach than before when they wanted to CPO, which killed the project. They might go for a railside solution, they definitely don't seem to be thinking of using the same route they had planned. That sections outcome may rest on the decision in the Kerry Greenway court case over CPOs.

Ballinasloe to Athlone now seems like it will be a bit of a dogleg down to Clonmacnoise and then up the Ballinasloe Canal, not the most direct route, but if that isnt done before the pedestrian bridge over the Shannon then there might end up being two routes, an indirect and direct to Ballinasloe.

I didn't know these details, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Hi everyone

There is a planning proposal to divert a substantial section of the agreed Tralee-Fenit Greenway route from the rail line and detour through a field near Clogherbrien Bridge near Tralee which we disagree with for a number of reasons.
    You can email a submission on the proposal to Kerry Council to ciu@kerrycoco.ie by next Friday September 4th and mark it Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy), Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Checkout the https://www.facebook.com/TraleeFenitGreenway/ which has more details.

A pallet making company - Southwest Pallet Production - has taken over part of the old railway and are now looking for the green way to deviate even though they do not own the land or have planning permission building erected on it.

If they are allowed this deviation then it does not bode well for future developments of green ways as it will set precedent.

If you can have a quick read of the facebook post and send an email objecting to the diversion it would help.

Advertisement