Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey Trixy, downtime can be a pain, have you picked up any of the colouring books that are around?. Surprisingly engaging - pretty sure i saw they are on special in lidl/aldi thursday, i'll double check. Outside that, any hobbies you used enjoy? Is there somewhere nice to walk?. Meet/call/email friends (even if it's been a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Thanks get a room... I really love the drinking g&ts during the day. What a life!!! Ha ha.

Grem I do actually have one of those colouring books. Never thought of it. I suppose I could get back into my knitting or something.

Kind of daunting. I haven't been on my own in nearly 7 yrs. It's a scary thought. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

Hello all,

Great to see the new thread is up and running finally!

I've been doing much better. I decided to stop going to my psychotherapist as i felt he was doing more harm than good. I felt like he didn't really understand me and had a "tough love" kind of approach that may be of benefit to some people, but definitely is not a good approach for me. Deciding not to go back was a really hard choice as i had kind of depended on a weekly session and i hate to end something that i start. Inevitably I contacted him and this allowed me to close the door myself rather than run away from it.

Anyways i started to see a local counsellor, who's fee was triple that other psychotherapist. But after our first meeting, i realised that i was wasting my time and money with the other therapist. It was hard to try a different route, but i guess some approaches aren't for everyone.
    This therapist understood, listened, gave feedback and ultimately made me look at things in a different light. I didn't realise until a day or two after that i was already putting this methods into practise subconciously. I realise there is no quick fix answer for this, but i've been so hard on myself lately that any positives were being forgotten, i'm trying to refocus them again.

It's not easy and i get some really bad days, but i realise that these are days that i have to go through to find whats on the other side.

Anyways i just wanted to thank people on this forum. At my darkest moments this place was a place of comfort. To know that I wasn't alone in feeling this way and that there were people of kindness that were happy to just hear a few words of my day and to read others stories, really was a light at the end of the tunnel. So thank you :)

I realise now that it doesn't matter how small the step is in finding a comfortable place, they all count. I feel i've made a few big steps in the last while, hopefully I'll find some dry land soon and I really hope i can share it with a few of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I see we're doing introductions - most of you know my story, so I'll keep it brief. I'm 30, mother to a two year old boy, and to be honest, I've been diagnosed with just about everything the past couple of years so I think now my new consultant is just wiping the slate clean and starting again!

Most significantly it now seems I have at least one personality disorder (BPD) and probably a few more, along with alcohol issues and anxiety issues and I don't even know what else. All of these mental health issues often come as part and parcel of BPD which is part of the reason it's so difficult to diagnose.

Anyways I was admitted to St Pats (again) a couple of days ago, and I think it's going to be a long stay. Hopefully will come out a new person the other side of it!

Right now I'm on no medication. I need to discuss this with my consultant, but my own feeling is that I'd like to stay off anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs etc for at least the next few weeks so that a proper accurate diagnosis can be formed. Makes sense to do it while I'm in a "safe" environment anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I am late twenties from Cork. I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and bpd traits. I would say I have improved a lot over the last year and a half. I did suffer a lot throughout the preceding ten years. I am at a place that I never felt possible. I feel like an actual regular human person as strange as that sounds. However I am now experiencing life without therapy for about the first time in nearly two years. It is tough as the anxiety is still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daithi1003

I'm having 2 root canals done next week and the dentist won't put me under I asked my doctor for something for the anxiety as I was in a car crash head on but he won't prescribe xanax or diazepam I've 9 teeth to be canaled or pulled or straightened <snip - personal info removed> if I don't get something I think anxiety will cripple me thank you for reading I'm 32yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daithi1003

Oh introductions, i'll go - i'm 37, female, in Galway, dealing with mental health issues since my teens. Have a chronic acute pain condition from an accident since i was 21..

Sorry to hear about that was in a head on myself Dr won't prescribe pain o anxiety pills and my biggest fear the dentist an he won't put me to sleep and the Dr will not give Dana's or Valium I've 8 teeth to be done next week if I don't get anything sorted I don't think I can go but the nerve pain an anxiety is eating me up within 32 Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

daithi1003 wrote: »
    I'm having 2 root canals done next week and the dentist won't put me under I asked my doctor for something for the anxiety as I was in a car crash head on but he won't prescribe xanax or diazepam I've 9 teeth to be canaled or pulled or straightened <snip - personal info removed> if I don't get something I think anxiety will cripple me thank you for reading I'm 32yrs old

I had root canal done last year after 2 years of pain. I paid 560, the pain never went away,
    Im booked in for 10 this morning to have the molar pulled. I have 4 boxes of xanax in the press. I never thought of taking a xanax,but I might take one - not for my nerves or for the pain of the proceedure but for the fact that I will have to pay again for a job that was not done right in the first place :) .

Can you not change dentist? My own one always offers to sedate - its an extra 160, I like to drive home so Id never bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I've been in great form since coming into hospital and I'm just after having one of my major sudden mood swings.

Someone mentioned that mothers day is weekend after next. I realised I'll be getting nothing for mothers day - no card, no little present or flowers or chocolates, nothing. It's likely I won't even get to see my son.

And I'm so upset over it. In tears since I realised.

I did the right thing and instead of hiding in bed crying alone, I went and told a nurse how I was feeling. I don't think it helped much but my mistake in the past has been not wanting to bother staff with the little things, this time I want to do it right. If I'm having these mood swings and irrational overreactions, at least if people know it might help with my diagnosis.

Other thing upsetting me is that my previous counsellors know I'm here in hospital and don't know the circumstances about way I'm here and don't give a sh*t. I was talking to one of them on the phone earlier about a practical matter and she made it clear she wanted the conversation kept as brief and impersonal as possible and really didn't want to be talking to me at all. It really upset me, I know I f*cked up the program I was on but I thought she'd really cared about me. I just feel like I trusted her so much and now it turns out she doesn't give a crap about me after all. And my other counsellor who I was even closer to was meant to ring me yesterday and didn't - and honestly, I doubt I'll hear from her ever again, as far as they're concerned I'm in hospital now and not their problem anymore.

I just feel sick. And totally abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

some days are harder than other.... just happened to be today ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I just feel sick. And totally abandoned.
    Joya wrote: »
    some days are harder than other.... just happened to be today ...

I hope you both start to feel better soon there.

thanks hugo.. i know that "this too shall pass" so its just to hang on till then : )....................

So been running as und like a headless chicken these last few days. Think it'll take a while to get a settled routine going!!!

Sorry to hear some of you are having a difficult time. Unfortunately I probably won't be any good these next few days as it really is mental here.

But just hang in there. The Sun is shining more and more lately... that means summer is coming... that's something to look forward to. Even just sitting outside listening to the world around you basking in the Sun.... something I am really looking forward to!!!

found out what a "trigger" is, this morning, for the first time

get a room wrote: »
    found out what a "trigger" is, this morning, for the first time

Well?? What was it. I have kinda narrowed my main triggers down to my family and the mother in law.

trixychic wrote: »
    Well?? What was it. I have kinda narrowed my main triggers down to my family and the mother in law.

I'll pm you about the family and mother in law - youll laugh.

Letter in brown envelope.

So I came home from work and one of the kids tells me that she thinks the dog is "special needs"............ Jesus Wept !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Joya, your signature make me feel Christmassy in a good way.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Joya, your signature make me feel Christmassy in a good way.
    ahh so glad to hear that : )))

i love christmas btw ... those are just my dragons, over 500 of them actually :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Can't really get into it, but difficult appointment today.

Feeling so vulnerable.

Will be ok. Negative emotions absolutely overwhelming me and would have gone into crisis in the past, but I've been doing so well, so going to pull on all my resources and cope with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can't really get into it, but difficult appointment today.

Feeling so vulnerable.

Will be ok. Negative emotions absolutely overwhelming me and would have gone into crisis in the past, but I've been doing so well, so going to pull on all my resources and cope with it.

Fair play to you, i hope those resources serve you well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Fair play to you, i hope those resources serve you well..

Thanks. I'd been very unwell, and have come a long way in the past couple of months.

The natural instinct is to act out on these negative emotions, but I've come so far and am terrified of things going back to like they were, so have to give my utmost to getting through it.

I have a friend coming to stay tonight so that's a good focus

Man, this Friday evening is really kicking my arse.

sup hugo

sup hugo

Am wrecking my head thinking about the relation between having depression and also a ****ty personality. Not sure if one caused the other or if both happened separately.

ah i know what you mean hugo i ask that myself sometimes too..
    sometimes due to depression i tend to be very sensitive so have to count to ten figuratively speaking.. it did not work every time though in the past but im trying to get on top of that..

ah i know what you mean hugo i ask that myself sometimes too..
    sometimes due to depression i tend to be very sensitive so have to count to ten figuratively speaking.. it did not work every time though in the past but im trying to get on top of that..

The mind is so powerful. Often at our own expense.

ya, its not just the mind, its nerves too..i did become too sensitive but would not want to become less sensitive just to be able to handle it better..
    maybe this sounds confusing...

ya, its not just the mind, its nerves too..i did become too sensitive but would not want to become less sensitive just to be able to handle it better..
    maybe this sounds confusing...

No, it's how I feel exactly. Not a different person, just a more capable person.

I hope you come back, Joya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Hm. Waking up feeling rubbish... I got a huge raise yesterday... Why am I not happy?

Advertisement