Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

TG1 wrote: »
    Have been struggling a bit this week. Have had a few really anxious days. Not sure if this tapering off my meds idea was such a brilliant one. Am back next week at my gp so hopefully ill get a bit of reassurance there.

That's what concerns me even tho I've just got started properly on the meds. I've one eye on coming off them and what that will be like. Friends who have been on Lex had no issue coming off but they were taking it for depression. They had no problem starting them either but I had a terribly first few weeks with raised anxiety. So I'm guessing I'll have raised anxiety coming off it too. So how do you know if the anxiety is caused by the withdrawal or if it's that you are still under the same anxiety cloud that sent you looking for meds in the first place. What I don't want is to come off them and then have to start all over again because I'm not coping again. There is a view that the med companies are happy to see patients staying on meds due to this belief that the withdrawal side effects frighten people into staying on them. I would hope this is a temporary side effect for you, if you stay longer on the lower dose and get used to it longer, it may help. Your med is well known as being difficult as hell to get off .. I was so glad i was taken off it some months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's what concerns me even tho I've just got started properly on the meds. I've one eye on coming off them and what that will be like. Friends who have been on Lex had no issue coming off but they were taking it for depression. They had no problem starting them either but I had a terribly first few weeks with raised anxiety. So I'm guessing I'll have raised anxiety coming off it too. So how do you know if the anxiety is caused by the withdrawal or if it's that you are still under the same anxiety cloud that sent you looking for meds in the first place. What I don't want is to come off them and then have to start all over again because I'm not coping again. There is a view that the med companies are happy to see patients staying on meds due to this belief that the withdrawal side effects frighten people into staying on them. I would hope this is a temporary side effect for you, if you stay longer on the lower dose and get used to it longer, it may help. Your med is well known as being difficult as hell to get off .. I was so glad i was taken off it some months ago.

Withdrawal is a taste of hell imo. T ook me a full year to get off valium way back and the facial neuralgia withdrawal left me with took 15 years

When I had talked with my then GP they had spoken of a more rapid withdrawal than I knew was safe; i was in touch with a voluntary group who had experience,

Needs t o be very very gradual but you will get there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

How is everyone doing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Went out with my friend earlier and our dogs, lovely weather then 5 mins later the heavens opened and had to take shelter under a tree:D

He's calling back up now to to give me a lift to my AA meeting. Lucky to have such a good friend.
    Barely slept last night so feeling tired but have to force myself to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Have another work meeting tomorrow:( so anxious over it and have a wedding Friday dreading it really . Want to go but it's so hard to. My first social things since I'm sick

• Advertisement

Went to my meeting again. This time there was over 20 people at it. Still found the courage to speak though. Need to keep it up now.

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Have another work meeting tomorrow:( so anxious over it and have a wedding Friday dreading it really . Want to go but it's so hard to. My first social things since I'm sick

Completely understand you. I had the same with all the weddings i have been to recently and now i have to go to Portugal on Friday for another one. But my thought is that if you have been invited to a wedding there is people that care and want you there.

It's only recently i have realised how much CBT has made my thoughts change for the better.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Completely understand you. I had the same with all the weddings i have been to recently and now i have to go to Portugal on Friday for another one. But my thought is that if you have been invited to a wedding there is people that care and want you there.

It's only recently i have realised how much CBT has made my thoughts change for the better.
    Well done on the meeting ! Your doing great .
    Cbt really is the best thing . Really helping my PTSD . Flashbacks and nightmares are really improved

Well done on the meeting ! Your doing great .
    Cbt really is the best thing . Really helping my PTSD . Flashbacks and nightmares are really improved

Thanks. The flashbacks are the worst. I have been trying to get my ex out of my head and doing good. I turned on the laptop earlier to read the news and the first thing i see is her name, but it was about an African country with the same name (Mali). I just laughed it off though which actually made me smile instead of think too much. I think life just throws stuff at you to test you, this time i won as i didn't let it make me feel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Not sure if this helps but I heard a man on the radio (newstalk) on about Raggy Doll..i think it may be aimed towards secondary school.
    What he was saying was that we and everyone are a bit odd and different and that we shouldnt be thrown to one side ( like a raggy doll)j just because we aren't perfect or conform...
    Thought it was so true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

What's the f*****g point anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    What's the f*****g point anymore.

We can only grope our way forward with the information we have - dealing with this crap is a bit more complex than putting a band aid on a cut leg, especially when everyone else is learning at the same time, but its better than letting it all fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Has anyone here had a bad experience with benzo withdrawl? I got prescribed it twoy ears ago when travelling to the States for sleep. Was diagnosed with a depressive/psychotic episode but never given these bar when I had a suicide attempt. I didn't know what they were for or even how to taper.

I got prescribed 50 tablets of valium then 50 tablets of xanax which I mixed with alcohol. After I finished them, nothing bad happened, didn't get a seizure but 6 months on and still today, I feel, I don't know how to explain...extremely agitated.

It's not anxiety but more I sleep now 6 hours and feel tired during the dayno matter how early or late I go to bed, I've lost focus, my memory is worse, and I get irritated at small noises or scratches on my skin.

• I got prescribed 50 tablets of valium then 50 tablets of xanax which I mixed with alcohol. After I finished them, nothing bad happened, didn't get a seizure but 6 months on and still today, I feel, I don't know how to explain...extremely agitated.

Christ buddy that's not good. Horrible things to mix. Glad you came out the other side.
    It's not anxiety but more I sleep now 6 hours and feel tired during the dayno matter how early or late I go to bed, I've lost focus, my memory is worse, and I get irritated at small noises or scratches on my skin.

Yeah man, sadly that's normal. Need to re centre your self. Easier said than done. Just try not to mix any tablets with drink. One or the other. Again, easier said than done.

What you're going through has happened to all of us. I know that doesn't help, but we are all still here.

Look after yourself buddy.

Has anyone here had a bad experience with benzo withdrawl? I got prescribed it twoy ears ago when travelling to the States for sleep. Was diagnosed with a depressive/psychotic episode but never given these bar when I had a suicide attempt. I didn't know what they were for or even how to taper.

I got prescribed 50 tablets of valium then 50 tablets of xanax which I mixed with alcohol. After I finished them, nothing bad happened, didn't get a seizure but 6 months on and still today, I feel, I don't know how to explain...extremely agitated.

I'm not a doctor but sounds to me like depression rather than anxiety. And mixing alcohol into it will make things worse, trust me on that because i done
    it.
    You really need to go and see your GP.

I can relate to noises making you irritable because i am the same.

I have a wedding tomorrow god my anxiety is through the roof ! First social event since I'm sick , oh god oh god I'm panicking

assuming you mean you took them as prescribed over a period of time? If so and you stopped them suddenly then what you are suffering now is benzodiazapeine withdrawal. Sounds very accurately described and I remember it well. It is most unpleasant and you should have been advised to taper them off slowly. The expression sore as a skinned owl comes to mind as your nerves in every sense are on edge .. horrible but normal for this, yes sound and touch ultra sensitive and raw. shudders at the memory ..

it will pass slowly but please avoid alcohol.

I have a wedding tomorrow god my anxiety is through the roof ! First social event since I'm sick , oh god oh god I'm panicking

Me too, but it's in Portugal on Saturday and we fly out tomorrow afternoon. Can't wear shorts as my legs are red from psoriasis and i am embarrassed. Will try get some sun to help on balcony though. . Ok wearing slacks for the wedding for respect but will have to wear long trousers the other day's.

deeeeeep breaths... You can do it and may even ENJOY it...

Graces7 wrote: »
    deeeeeep breaths... You can do it and may even ENJOY it...

Thanks graces somewhere in my brain is saying it will be a nice day out for me and my husband. We haven't had time together since little dude came 11 months ago !!! Just so so anxious won't know many there but got some great tips from my therapist the other day so going to read it tonight and in the morning

• Advertisement

Thanks graces somewhere in my brain is saying it will be a nice day out for me and my husband. We haven't had time together since little dude came 11 months ago !!! Just so so anxious won't know many there but got some great tips from my therapist the other day so going to read it tonight and in the morning

Hope you have a well deserved great time!

Hope you have a well deserved great time!

Thanks so much your very kind . How are u feeling ???

Thanks so much your very kind . How are u feeling ???

Hope the weather picks up a bit for you!

I'm not too good, trying to appeal Irish life's decision not to give me income protection. Feel like my psychiatrist has given up on me... She want me to come into hospital for a few weeks for ect

I'm sitting on the balcony in the Algarve in Portugal in the sun.
    Have all my good friends around me too but still feel meh .

Wedding is at 3. I won't be staying too long but my friends already know that so a bit less anxious.

I made the flight alone so I know I have some motivation in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I feel ya.

Weddings can be tough when feeling meh.

You are with friends and you can leave if it all becomes a bit too much. As the sun goes down and a few drinks are had(assuming you drink), the option to stay a bit longer is there, if feeling less stressed.

Stay strong stranger

I'm sitting on the balcony in the Algarve in Portugal in the sun.
    Have all my good friends around me too but still feel meh .

Wedding is at 3. I won't be staying too long but my friends already know that so a bit less anxious.

I made the flight alone so I know I have some motivation in me.

Well done on the flight I hope you have a lovely day you deserve it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Got into work all 5 days this week.

Its one of those basic things people take for granted but was huge for me.

Well I had a great day at the wedding. It's nice being surrounded by good people and the weather was fantastic.

I stayed until about 11pm. Had loads of food and the venue was really spectacular.

Awake now because drunk english people banging doors in hotel. Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Got into work all 5 days this week.

Its one of those basic things people take for granted but was huge for me.

Congrats, Im just about managing a 3 day setup but boy waking up in the morning Im finding myself riddled with fear.

• Advertisement

Well I had a great day at the wedding. It's nice being surrounded by good people and the weather was fantastic.

I stayed until about 11pm. Had loads of food and the venue was really spectacular.

Awake now because drunk english people banging doors in hotel. Grrr

(((HUGS))) Told you! Wonderful!

Advertisement