Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-06-2019, 10:36   #1
looksee
Shallow concrete steps

I have a series of 3 shallow - about 2" - concrete steps at around 5ft intervals on one side of the house. Just enough to trip over! Would it be possible to get these made into a slope, or any other ideas? Thanks.
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 10:45   #2
Metric Tensor

2 inches every 5 foot is a slope of about 1 in 30 which is a nice gentle slope. You could definitely install a ramp but you need to make sure you put in appropriate drainage or rain will flow down it and possibly collect in a pool at the bottom.

2 inches is a definite trip hazard but is very small for a step - I'm surprised it is not a slope in the first place.
Thanks from:
10-06-2019, 21:36   #3
Lumen

Have fewer, bigger steps.

Humans hate slopes.

edit: wait, 3%? That's basically flat.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 10:37   #4
looksee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
Have fewer, bigger steps.

Humans hate slopes.

edit: wait, 3%? That's basically flat.
Yes it is a very slight slope, and there is gravel alongside which is fine - I'd be a bit inclined (!) to remove the concrete and just have gravel but haven't thought through the implications of this.

If I did change it can you just put concrete on top of existing concrete as a slope?
12-06-2019, 13:54   #5
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Yes it is a very slight slope, and there is gravel alongside which is fine - I'd be a bit inclined (!) to remove the concrete and just have gravel but haven't thought through the implications of this.

If I did change it can you just put concrete on top of existing concrete as a slope?
If the steps are easy to remove I'd just get rid of them, level the gravel and see how you feel about it.

I have a set of three or four chunky wooden steps at the side of my house and one rotted to bits, so last year I took it out, meaning to replace it. In the end it was fine with the missing step, which still seems completely ridiculous but there you go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion