Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

student goes on driving rampage around Dublin city centre.

• 25-04-2018 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/driver-in-dublin-car-crash-believed-to-be-final-year-law-student-under-extreme-stress-1.3472840

a 20 year old guy went on a rampage in his BMW yesterday in Dublin city centre. Multiple incidents in a short space of time. Details above.

He is part of “a Dublin based middle eastern family”.

Gardai believe the student had been suffering from stress/anxiety.

However “As a precaution, his background will be fully examined and any contacts he has had of late, in person and online, will also be reviewed.”

Scary incident. Ppl were taken to hospital(no serious injuries thankfully) and it Caused lots of disruption in the city centre yesterday evening.

Bad enough as it is, but it could’ve been a hell of a lot worse. Needs to be fully investigated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he will have a lot more stress now, that his legal career gone

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Even here as well. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

How many 20 year old students drive BMWs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

BMW drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

at least one :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    BMW drivers...

CAncel their visas and send them back to BMW?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Jayzus lads, is it not a bit early for crypto BMW fascism?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rich kids eh ;)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/boy-12-steals-parents-credit-card-and-flies-to-bali-1.3472726?mode=amp
    wexie wrote: »

Never liked BMWs tbh ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hes lucky we have a robust legal system that prosecutes drivers to the full extent of the law :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

silverharp wrote: »
    at least one :pac:

Not any more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

There’s a crew of students from rich looking Arab families always chilling at Starbucks on Stephen’s Green. Some have nice cars. Given this car was driven out from Stephen’s Green garage, I would guess he’s a friend of those guys. Not to say there’s anything genuinely sinister about all of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

gozunda wrote: »

he doesn't like to hear the word NO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

a 20 year old guy went on a rampage in his BMW yesterday in Dublin city centre. Multiple incidents in a short space of time. Details above.

He is part of “a Dublin based middle eastern family”.

Except for media gratification so that sensationalist and hysterical headlines can be created, the nationality if of no consequence - this guy suffered a mental breakdown, he went about it in a violent driving manner and it caused a crash.

Gardai were already on the case, but it could have been worse.

Mental illness affects many people - some will do things that will affect and hurt others, some will commit suicide. And they come from all sorts of backgrounds, and such background should not be used for sensationalist purposes.

Sort of reminds me of living in london in the 80's - any Irishman involved in anything and it was stated a "check was done for IRA connections" - effectively it was assumed you were involved with the IRA until it was proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Loads. Is this a serious comment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The boom is back?

I was glad to have a fvcking bike when I was a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive. So to clarify before they do, he had ample opportunity to kill people if he so wished before finally crashing to a standstill. Mental health issues are real and can affect anyone.

listermint wrote: »

Loads. Is this a serious comment
    Loads isnt a number. And yes its a serious question

I would say very few 20 year old students drive expensive cars

Nobody expects THE Spanish "anti Muslim brigade " inquisition!!

From the Irish Times article
    As a precaution, his background will be fully examined and any contacts he has had of late, in person and online, will also be reviewed.

Surely immigration status he would have been subject to a robust check prior to arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Loads isnt a number. And yes its a serious question

I would say very few 20 year old students drive expensive cars

You know BMW's aren't expensive... Yo do realise there is many years or reg plates in vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The boom is back?

I was glad to have a fvcking bike when I was a student.

God save us and protect our children that somebody should have a few Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

listermint wrote: »
    You know BMW's aren't expensive... Yo do realise there is many years or reg plates in vehicles.

Insurance.... I could hardly get insurance on one at 27 not to mind 20

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Insurance.... I could hardly get insurance on one at 27 not to mind 20

Loads of young fellas around driving BMW's. Audi's seem to be another favourite.

I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive. So to clarify before they do, he had ample opportunity to kill people if he so wished before finally crashing to a standstill. Mental health issues are real and can affect anyone.

Where does it say he was a Muslim? Is that not a bit racist / presumptuous?

kneemos wrote: »
    Loads of young fellas around driving BMW's. Audi's seem to be another favourite.

Audi became the BMW of the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Plenty of the ones with wealthy parents. Go to a carpark in any university and you'll be surprised of the cars you'll see driven be people as young as 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

wexie wrote: »

I think you'll find the correct term is crypto Islamobeemerfascist.

gozunda wrote: »
    Where does it say he was a Muslim? Is that not a bit racist / presumptuous?

I’m glad you solely use Boards as your news outlet.

Newspapers are reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Seems like he comes from a well off background and has[had now, I suppose] good prospects. Doesn't fit the profile of a terrorist.

I say we take his oil though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Funny thing is you're the first person to mention his religion. What does that say about you?

Advertisement