Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Condensation in the car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Where is the pollen filter on the '99 accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Of course if you wipe the water off the glass and keep the cloth in the car, you're keeping all the water in the car too...I suggest a couple of clothes pegs in the aerial and dry the screen cloth as you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

had frozen w/screen this morning inside aswell.

Think I just need to clean off all the windows and get them dry and run the heater for a bit.

I'm guilty of leaving wet cloths in the car which I dont think is helping and wet jackets in the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    had frozen w/screen this morning inside aswell.

Think I just need to clean off all the windows and get them dry and run the heater for a bit.

I'm guilty of leaving wet cloths in the car which I dont think is helping and wet jackets in the boot

If you can get access to a dehumidifier and have a secure place to leave the car overnight I can't recommend it highly enough. You'll be amazed at the amount of water that will come out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

woody33 wrote: »
    Of course if you wipe the water off the glass and keep the cloth in the car, you're keeping all the water in the car too...I suggest a couple of clothes pegs in the aerial and dry the screen cloth as you drive.

What if your aerial is built in to the rear windscreen?? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you can get access to a dehumidifier and have a secure place to leave the car overnight I can't recommend it highly enough. You'll be amazed at the amount of water that will come out of the car.

will do if it gets bad again but I removed the wet rag and wiped down the windscreen inside with IPA wipes and its fine since

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Same Same, i've got a VW Bora, had really bad condensation for ages, still not gone away, ut a lot better than it was.

The problem was the pollen filter cover, it turns out it was cracked, so water was dripping on to the pollen filter. I don't know the cause for sure, but i think it was when i got my windscreen changed, they broke the cover when putting it back in...it's a semi tricky procedure to put it back in.

Take a look at that if it's a VW Golf or Bora...hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

E39MSport wrote: »
    Nah - I have the saloon. But yes, I'm on about the rear light clusters. They come off very easily. 3 nuts each.

Hi E39, I had the condensation issue on the back window again today so decided to investigate. I took off the rear light units. See images below.

I dont know if your lights were the same as mine but...in the second image you can see what I am dealing with. There is an inner seal made of foam I think (A). AFAICT there is no outer seal at (B). The inner foam was very wet. I cleaned everything, applied spray silicon and refitted the light units.

So. Is this what you did? or did you add a seal to the outer area (B) ?

Many thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=146187&stc=1&d=1296671885

attachment.php?attachmentid=146186&stc=1&d=1296671878

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi.

It's pretty straight forward as you will have found out.

I read somewhere that there's an outer seal missing with the earlier E11 corollas and they let water in through that area.

So, like you, I dried everything out BUT also applied a thick seal of silicon around the outer back of the lens where it would sit flush against the bodywork. I then wiped the excess away after reinstalling the cluster.

Looks neat enough but I used blue gasket sealant coz I dont give a crap about aesthetics - I will get a pic up tomorrow.

The water was getting into my car at the area where the black mark is on yours - under the hole where the cluster fits. There seems to be a gap (in the saloon at least) in the seam there.

You should see moisture in the boot cavity if you lift the carpets. If not then its probably not your problem. Run a hose down the outside off the boot seal so that water is running over your re-attached lens. You will see it coming in just under the lens.

Let me know how you get on with the test.

Cheers,

Thanks E39

I am reluctant to add a bead of silicon or any other sealer to the outside of the unit as I would definitely mess it up, it would then look awful and next time I go to change a bulb I would have to break it open.

Looking out at my car just now, it's been sitting in a storm all night with driving rain and wind, and it looks perfect inside. No condensation. I reckon the tightening of the light units together with the silicon spray may be working.

• Advertisement

Nice one.

Don't forget though that you can get to the bulbs from the inside.

I'll post a pic anyways for you to see my 'handywork'.

Hope its sorted for you.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Where is the pollen filter on the '99 accord?
    If it likes the >03 Accords ,it behind the glove box.
    The manual tells you how to gain access to it

E39MSport wrote: »
    I'll post a pic anyways for you to see my 'handywork'

Definitely do please, I'd really like to see that

Bloody car has gone to the airport for the weekend - will have to wait 'til Sunday.

My fix has worked however - car is bone dry now.

Advertisement