Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price increases

• 03-03-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

Irish Rail online fares late last year were €19.99 for a Flex one way student ticket from Cork to Belfast.

They are now €45. Each way.

Anyone know why they've been increased so massively? Seems like an insane increase.

Their whole pricing structure seems strange tbh. I've noticed adult fares sometimes being significantly cheaper than student fares also....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Irish Rail online fares late last year were €19.99 for a Flex one way student ticket from Cork to Belfast.

They are now €45. Each way.

Anyone know why they've been increased so massively? Seems like an insane increase.

Their whole pricing structure seems strange tbh. I've noticed adult fares sometimes being significantly cheaper than student fares also....

Did you try splitting your ticket at Dublin? Usually works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

20 quid one way appears to cheap which is why they probally addressed the fare issue. 32 quid if you split which is more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    20 quid one way appears to cheap which is why they probally addressed the fare issue. 32 quid if you split which is more reasonable.

Who controls their pricing? The NTA I assume.

Why would they be charging more to book the complete ticket in one booking than splitting tickets?

I understand how airlines sometimes have this kind of pricing but it doesn't make sense for Irish Rail to have such strange pricing.

I've seen other similar instances of stupid pricing also.

Obviously something is up with their systems if this is happening all the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Online promotional pricing is not controlled by the NTA - walkup fares are.

If online promotional fares have risen it is due to an increase in traffic.

L1011 wrote: »

I've used those fares all last year so wouldn't be convinced it was a promo fare. Also, the current pricing system obviously isn't very good considering you can split your tickets for considerably less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Who controls their pricing? The NTA I assume.

Why would they be charging more to book the complete ticket in one booking than splitting tickets?

I understand how airlines sometimes have this kind of pricing but it doesn't make sense for Irish Rail to have such strange pricing.

I've seen other similar instances of stupid pricing also.

Obviously something is up with their systems if this is happening all the time.

The reason splitting journeys works out cheaper is an outdated system. Its not long ago online sales were possible and even shorter booking a route like Cork-Belfast as a single ticket.

Before you were been essentially charged Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast was free, now the 45 price is more reflective however I suspect its still to low which is why splitting tickets is cheaper. Cork tickets online today expose the company to lost revenue. They are not addressing it fast enough.

Minor point but I understand they set a maximum cap online fares can rise or at least approve max increases.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've used those fares all last year so wouldn't be convinced it was a promo fare. Also, the current pricing system obviously isn't very good considering you can split your tickets for considerably less.

Any fare less than walkup is a promo fare.

Any fare less than walkup is a promo fare.

Gosh!

Aren't we lucky to have promo fares so :D couldn't imagine paying €80+ return to Dublin as a "normal" fare.

Until semi recently, that was it - online fares are new enough that long-standing posters can remember them coming in.

Until semi recently, that was it - online fares are new enough that long-standing posters can remember them coming in.

Hard to believe really - amazing that anyone took the train at those kind of prices! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

€19.99 from Cork to Belfast is massively below cost, expecting that price to be a regular price is unrealistic.

devnull wrote: »
    €19.99 from Cork to Belfast is massively below cost, expecting that price to be a regular price is unrealistic.

It was certainly a great deal, it was around for quite some time which is why I assumed it was a regular student fare on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

So Belfast is not controlled by the NTA, all fares are commercial.

The NTA do control both cash and online promo fares

Irish Rail's website has serious issues with correct pricing of cross route tickets, you can either charge end to end which results in a very high fare as there will not be a promotional fare in the system or you split at Dublin and sum the two discounted fares. Irish Rail cannot handle this case online.

45 euro single for 280 miles is good value anywhere in the world

Advertisement