Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second driver insurance

• 18-03-2019 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,

My Wife has died recently and has a car that was was insured to be driven by a friend of ours as well as her. I do not drive so am asking whether or not our friend will still be insured to drive the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sorry for your loss. Contact your insurers and explain the circumstances. They should agree to let the policy to run until renewal date as it is. After that, the new beneficial owner of the car needs to make new arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Contact your insurers and explain the circumstances. They should agree to let the policy to run until renewal date as it is.

:confused: I know you work in the business but surely if the policyholder dies then the policy is no longer in force and the cover ceases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote:
    I know you work in the business but surely if the policyholder dies then the policy is no longer in force and the cover ceases?

(Good) insurers can arrange what is known as "insured excluded" cover as a temporary measure under special circumstances. It is not correct to say the policy automatically ceases upon the death of the policyholder, but you are obliged to notify the insurer as soon as possible to allow them make arrangements for maintaining cover for fire and theft and possibly driving for a relative until renewal date. However, the insurer is within their rights to cancel immediately, but that rarely happens

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sorry for your loss. Contact your insurers and explain the circumstances. They should agree to let the policy to run until renewal date as it is. After that, the new beneficial owner of the car needs to make new arrangements

Happened to us years ago. All the vehicles in the house were insured in my father's name,he died and ins co cancelled the policies :(.. we were stranded with zero insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

My dad's policy continued after his death until next renewal date.
    AXA were very good about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement