Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Increase in Phoenix Park Tunnel Services

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Has a 29000 been used on a hazel hatch service yet? At peak times the 4 car icr is just not up to it, people fainting squashed against the door ect..... cab it even be strengthened to a 7 car icr or are platform lengths a problem? (I’m thinking the bay at hazel hatch is the problem here but there are 4 other platforms there)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No 29000s available at peak, suspect M3 might have more claim on any spare capacity first but as it stands the next capacity to arrive may be the additional 22k trailers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Has a 29000 been used on a hazel hatch service yet? At peak times the 4 car icr is just not up to it, people fainting squashed against the door ect..... cab it even be strengthened to a 7 car icr or are platform lengths a problem? (I’m thinking the bay at hazel hatch is the problem here but there are 4 other platforms there)

Just curious which service in particular are you referring to, I have taken them regularly in morning/evening and while busy I don't think its massively overcrowded for a ICR if compared to Maynooth/M3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That we're comparing levels of overcrowding on what are designed to be seated sets is just symptomatic of the lack of proper rolling stock here. On an ICR, standing at all is overcrowding. They are not designed for long-distance standing and the vestibules are inadequately cooled compared to the seating areas, which results in fainting.

L1011 wrote: »
    That we're comparing levels of overcrowding on what are designed to be seated sets is just symptomatic of the lack of proper rolling stock here. On an ICR, standing at all is overcrowding. They are not designed for long-distance standing and the vestibules are inadequately cooled compared to the seating areas, which results in fainting.

They vestibules are not that overcrodwed on PPT yet. Plus Connolly-ParkWest/Adamestown is not long distance to stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They vestibules are not that overcrodwed on PPT yet. Plus Connolly-ParkWest/Adamestown is not long distance to stand.

Ideally nobody should be expected to stand for more than ten minutes.

Standing for more than twenty minutes is a health and safety risk for many of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

More services on the PPT line would be a welcome near-term development, I remember last year I was often commuting from Park West and the gaps in the timetable were shocking.

tabbey wrote: »
    Ideally nobody should be expected to stand for more than ten minutes.

Standing for more than twenty minutes is a health and safety risk for many of us.

10 minutes, get a grip (excluding medical)!

What's happening is people are standing for 90 minutes now this is not acceptable. 20-25 minutes ideally would be maximum at peak times.

20-25mins on a train that is designed for standing pax, maybe. The 22ks are not designed for any standing pax.

L1011 wrote: »
    20-25mins on a train that is designed for standing pax, maybe. The 22ks are not designed for any standing pax.

The 22k may not be explicitly designed for standing but a modest number standing is acceptable.

I am not saying they are suitable for commuter traffic but at the minute existing capacity is coping reasonably well.

• Advertisement

In general they cope but on the half 5 service I’ve been pushed up against the door in the vestibule and had someone practically beg for a bottle of water because they were sure they would faint (wasn’t even a particularly hot or even remotely warm day) the 22ks just aren’t suitable for standing unless it’s literally a number you can count on two hands

Personality I believe one of the edge of peak services on the maynooth line should be reduced to 4 car to allow the half 5 ppt service to grand canal docks to be a 29k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That 5.35pm service ex-Tara is unpleasantly full. I avoid if it all possible. The 4:47pm or 6:22pm are much better. Or getting one of the Hazlehatch services snd changing at Park West for the Portlaoise train isn’t a bad option either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

My wife described the PPT train yesterday as being like the Luas at rush hour. Standing room only, and she needed to squeeze at that. She was between carriages as the aisles were also completely full and no one could move further up/down. (On at Sallins, off at GCD)

I can assure you that some of the services are very overcrowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Those (intercity) trains are very comfy to sit on but they're definitely not suitable for standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Irish rail need 85% fleet available at peak times which i dont know if thats good or bad but im my opinion they should be trying to use all the trains they have (maby 1/2 in maintanence)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

IrishZeus wrote: »
    My wife described the PPT train yesterday as being like the Luas at rush hour. Standing room only, and she needed to squeeze at that. She was between carriages as the aisles were also completely full and no one could move further up/down. (On at Sallins, off at GCD)

I can assure you that some of the services are very overcrowded.

Morning 7.00am train is not full at Newbridge. There is a massive influx at Sallins (the start of the cheap ticket zone) and it’s jammed thereafter.

That 5.35pm service ex-Tara is unpleasantly full. I avoid if it all possible. The 4:47pm or 6:22pm are much better. Or getting one of the Hazlehatch services snd changing at Park West for the Portlaoise train isn’t a bad option either.

I was on it yesterday and while its probably the bussiest peak service. Adding extra capacity would be good but I don't think it justifies it yet because a 5 car is unlikely available and that manes 6/7 car train which is way to much.
    Irish rail need 85% fleet available at peak times which i dont know if thats good or bad but im my opinion they should be trying to use all the trains they have (maby 1/2 in maintanence)

It would be considered good if not slightly above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lovely train going the other way, get a nice 4 seater to myself at gcd, bring a flask of coffee and my breakfast, very civilised :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Is there anyway to tell in advance which end of the train the bike storage is? had a puncture so got the train back to Pearse but it seems to be a 50/50 guess?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement