Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

They couldnt do them without a conviction tbf

So locals feel sorry for the driver and this should influence RSA behaviour? Thankfully not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Inexperienced drivers shouldn’t drive in poor weather
    There’s shed loads of experienced drivers out there that shouldn’t even be let out in a car after dark!
    You’re spouting some amount of nonsense TBH.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So locals feel sorry for the driver and this should influence RSA behaviour? Thankfully not

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Inexperienced drivers shouldn’t drive in poor weather

Knowing how to drive properly in poor conditions is an important part of learning to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We’re you driving at a suitable speed for the conditions? Were there signs indicating the unprotected banks?

Well the Audi that overtook me seemed ok, yes I was driving for conditions but I will admit and fully fully back the major contribution was cheap a#s Chinese Dutch finders.

I've driven in much much worse conditions faster then I was but also I found the car itself at the time was a sh1te handling car. Vectra 1.6 big standard.

emeldc wrote: »
    There’s shed loads of experienced drivers out there that shouldn’t even be let out in a car after dark!

What nonsense? Ah shure youll be grand had our road fatalities at the numbers they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Where exactly was that said?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Where exactly was that said?

My reading of fresh popcorn’s post

My reading of fresh popcorn’s post

Yes, I had assumed that but which part? Can't understand where you'd draw the conclusion from.

• Advertisement

Well the Audi that overtook me seemed ok, yes I was driving for conditions but I will admit and fully fully back the major contribution was cheap a#s Chinese Dutch finders.

I've driven in much much worse conditions faster then I was but also I found the car itself at the time was a sh1te handling car. Vectra 1.6 big standard.

So you were aware of your cars poor handling and rightly couldn’t compare it with the Audi’s

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Yes, I had assumed that but which part? Can't understand where you'd draw the conclusion from.

If you can’t there is little I can do for you tbf

If you can’t there is little I can do for you tbf

Because it isn't there, tbf.

emeldc wrote: »

A lot were given full licences without a proper test

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A lot were given full licences without a proper test

Thats a myth tbh

This did come to my mind that anyone related to or connected to the bereaved family would be seen as very hypocritical if they were seen driving around North Cork unaccompanied as a Learner driver.
    This is a very sad and tragic case and my heart breaks for the family of the bereaved.
    However there are no winners as that girl did not set out that day to be part responsible for the death of her neighbours (the bad weather and poor drainage were also responsible I feel).

If she had not caused them to go off the road perhaps they might still be alive?

She admitted in court to driving dangerously and causing the collision

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Victor wrote: »
    Killing someone's family is also in poor taste/tone.

I did a 3-day first aid course and was taught the basics of first aid. If I try to do CPR on someone, but they die anyway, I won't be held accountable. However, if I try to do brain surgery, which I'm not trained for and they die, well, I was acting far beyond my training and would be negligent to have tried brain surgery at all. I would be held accountable.

Similarly, learner drivers are required to be accompanied by trained drivers. If they aren't accompanied, they are acting beyond their training and need to be held accountable.

You sound like the ad- there was no deliberate “killing someone’s family” just a horrible, unfortunate accident that that poor girl and their family will have to live with forever.

So you were aware of your cars poor handling and rightly couldn’t compare it with the Audi’s

They are poor at best.

I had only drove it that night.

It was actually my dad's car as I had sold the 3 I had and was waiting for my other one.

I took it handy and was at around 50km/h when it went off the road. As I said black ice and roads weren't treated which I noticed after.

I wasn't flooring it in any way and have never had an ounce of issues in any other car I've had but those I bought for handling and performance.

One thing I will say is I will and would never ever drive a car in the wet or cold on Chinese finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Back in the 70s they were far fewer cars yet the death tolls on or roads regularly hit close to 600 per annum. What exactly will an experiernced driver sitting in a passenger seat do in these circumstances. The girl could have passed her test an hour before this accident, would it have made any difference?

Stheno wrote: »
    Thats a myth tbh

No its a fact

1979 Irish licence amnesty- google it

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    You sound like the ad- there was no deliberate “killing someone’s family” just a horrible, unfortunate accident that that poor girl and their family will have to live with forever.

And what of the family who have to live without a wife and mother and daughter for ever?

Thats a myth tbh

Back in 70s it was true. They had such back logs the minister just waived the test procedure.... Nearly sure 70s apologies if 80 but nearly sure.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Back in the 70s they were far fewer cars yet the death tolls on or roads regularly hit close to 600 per annum. What exactly will an experiernced driver sitting in a passenger seat do in these circumstances. The girl could have passed her test an hour before this accident, would it have made any difference?

She would have been passed competent to drive- she wasn’t

The good news when her ban expires she has to go through the whole learning permit process again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Parker Clever Sextant

Thats a myth tbh

In 1979 then Minister Sylvester Barrett made an order that full driving licenses be issued to people who had applied for the driving test only, this resulted in people being issued with licenses for vehicles such as buses and hgv’s.

My own father was one of those people.

This decision by Barrett cemented his status in Irish history for all the wrong reasons.

Back in 70s it was true. They had such back logs the minister just waived the test procedure.... Nearly sure 70s apologies if 80 but nearly sure.

It was the early seventies.

Very few current licences would include those issued then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Needles73 wrote: »
    I think the ad is very inappropriate. I have nothing but sympathy for this man who lost his wife and daughter.
    But I also have sympathy for the unaccompanied driver who was unsupervised and made a terrible mistake. They have to live with this. That’s punishment enough without an ill thought out type of advert.

I'd have none and hope she never gets over it. People have far too much sympathy for people who cause these things these days, but she was in the wrong and should always be paying for it.

Only issue I'd have with the ad is the sound is poor enough on it. Not sure why it's fairly inaudible.

But it did happen.

Sure the test had only got more difficult in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Parker Clever Sextant

Anyone from that era would be at least 55/56 years old now.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd have none and hope she never gets over it. People have far too much sympathy for people who cause these things these days, but she was in the wrong and should always be paying for it.
    I'm the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yes but that doesn't mean many still do. I know people who commute to and from work everyday by car driving on the motorway from down the country to Dublin and they've been driving for the guts of four or five years.

I suggest you call the Gardai.

Garda Confidential: 1800 666 111
    Traffic Watch: 1890 205805

Advertisement