Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that were always thus but people think are new.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates, about 400BC

:rolleyes:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/

Housing is expensive

Youve to work your way up to the nice jobs

The world isnt particularly your friend, as a rule

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

People seem to think Christmas is more consumerist than ever but I’ve heard that since I was young.

I think Christmas has been for a long time (though my parents’ generation got like a single orange or something) but what’s definitely changed since I was a child is Halloween - we only ever had at best a sheet to dress up as a ghost and the neighbours gave us fruits and nuts, almost never sweets. Though we did used to bake apple tart with a coin in it which was better fun than sweets and chocolates TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

There's simply nothing practical left to invent. In terms of widespread public buy in in Ireland

1940's to 60's- electricity, cookers, fridges
    60's- TV's, car ownership increasing
    70's to 80's- home telephone
    80's- VCR, microwaves, CD plyers
    90's to 2000's- multichannel TV, mobiles, DVD, home PC's/ internet access, digital music players

In the last circa 25 years the only significant invention to take up universal public adoption has been the internet, the smart phone and portable digital music players.

Between 1960 and the late 80's the average Irish home probably acquired itself eight new pieces of tech.

5 years ago it was claimed that driverless cars would be widespread by 2021. A year or so ago one of the main CEO's conceded it probably wouldn't be feasible within our lifetimes.

Which CEO said that?

There are driverless cars running right now as taxis between McCarron and downtown Vegas. With the tech owned by an Irish company.

Blud wrote: »
    Which CEO said that?

There are driverless cars running right now as taxis between McCarron and downtown Vegas. With the tech owned by an Irish company.

I've seen plenty of driverless cars around Mountain View in California when I was there two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

“The problem with internet quotes is that you cannot always depend on their accuracy.”

― Abraham Lincoln 1864

I think you will find Abe said that in 1867.

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    I think you will find Abe said that in 1867.

I've the YouTube footage of it here somewhere. Give me a chance to look for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Oh, video gaming is corrupting the youth.
    Before games it was "video nasties", before that it was the television, the telephone and books!

Loads of people here, who really should know better, still think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not everyone can afford to buy a house where they want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

**** still causes blindness.

I still **** and haven't gone blind yet. I'm 44. Take that granny.

*Pictures granny waiting patiently with her hands out

• Advertisement
Advertisement