Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

A wise decision. But 24/7 will reply regardless. That's the problem. But the Ignore function is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭standardg60

Personally i think the whole anti-vax thing is borne out of bravado and ego and the possible side effect reason is just a ruse. They pride themselves on being fitter and healthier than the vast majority of the population so covid won't affect them. Getting a vaccine is lowering themselves to the same level of susceptibility of normal people in their eyes

But what about the argument that perfectly healthy people who had covid don't need a vaccine that elderly people in other countries do need? Rich Westerners boosting themselves every few months while millions of elderly and vulnerable people go without.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why are you so obsessed with the ignore function on a discussion forum?

If you don't want to have a discussion then stop posting. Otherwise, as its an open forum people are free to question your opinion and would kind of be expected, as part of a discussion, to respond to those questions.

I do want to have a discussion, but not with certain posters. People are not free to make smart comments and ridicule posters. Happens every day here.

A way around it might be to ignore them. But try that and 24/7 still replies. And questions posters' credibility while believing in some kind of weird magic (as pointed out by another poster some time ago).

It is hard to have a discussion here. Might be time to check out other fora.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What point are you trying to make here?

If it's that the vaccines need to be distributed fairly around the world, then yes I think you'll find everyone in agreement here. Quite what that has to do with the safety of the vaccines is beyond me though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I'm fairly sure I'm on ignore for asking him to actually discuss details of his theories. Either that or he's upset because I said he seems like a young lad who is very easily influenced by people trying to make money out of people like himself who are ready to jump down any rabbit hole that has any information relating to his notions.

It's really strange how conspiracy theories really don't want to go past the headlines and discuss the details of their theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's cause they know that if they discuss their theories with any depth or have to express an opinion beyond what they are told on Twitter by grifters, they'll expose that their theories are nonsense.

Gortannas obsession with the ignore function is because he thinks that ignoring points and questions is a valid argument and he thinks that other people are fooled by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭standardg60

By that rationale you are arguing that the unvaccinated are choosing to do so to protect those who they will never come into contact with, while putting at risk those who they will?

But that argument is not shared by the majority of doctors and medical organisations.

They continually state that most people should get vaccinated.

Why do they state this if it's not true?

Why are they lying?

Again we won't get an answer to this because conspiracy theorists are ashamed of their own theories. They know its silly to suggest that all these doctors and organisations are part of a conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Using the perfectly healthy thought process is a fallacy. It shows how idiotic people that think that healthy people don’t need to vaccinate are. Perfectly healthy people have gotten very sick, and some have died because covid does not affect all people the same. There is no knowing how it will affect a person. There are higher risk categories, but it doesn’t mean that lower risk people can’t suffer greatly or even die too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's not really an argument anymore, the biggest issue now is hesitancy, not supply, the west boosting isn't preventing first doses elsewhere (though this line does come up often from those who don't want to get a vaccine).

Also, I thought the conspiracy was to give everyone the vaccine? Why would they not have enough for all people? Why do they only want to keep giving boosters to people who conspiracy theorists keep telling us don't need them?

As ever, @Gortanna is just glombing onto another bullshit argument he read on twitter without thinking about how it meshes with his other beliefs and claims or questioning if it matches up with reality.

He just saw another stick he thinks can be used to bash science and modern medicine.

24/7 and others who like each others posts every day and who say the exact same thing talking about echo chambers and safe spaces.

It's really simple: don't wish to discuss anything with a number of posters. Happy to discuss things with other posters with whom I disagree. So it's not an echo chamber if I'm discussing things with people with whom I disagree.

It is a valid argument. There are countries in the world that haven't vaccinated any of their people while rich Westerners boost each other every few months.

Would it be better to vaccinate elderly and at risk people in poor countries or to vaccinate a young Westerner who already had covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sagittariustea

I received all 3 doses and I don't miss anything, I'm healthy. If I need to receive 3 more just to stop this madness

Is there a supply shortage that would benefit from booster jabs not being given?

Why have these countries you are thinking about not given any vaccines yet? Which countries are you thinking of?

Lol. But dude, you never discuss anything with anyone. Even when you reply to posts, you never actually address the content.

You always avoid and dodge and ignore when the questions are too difficult for you. Which happens to be any question.

It's not a discussion when one person is willing to be dishonest like that.

You ignore people who keep holding you to the questions and points you avoid and who expose how utterly dishonest you are.

You don't like reading their posts because you can't disagree with their content, and because you can only avoid difficult points, you can't make them go away.

So you plug your ears, run and cry. it's childish and silly.

It's very silly that you think people are buying this act. It borders on delusion.

Now, we're seeing you're still ignoring points and questions and trying desperately to pull the thread off topic because you can't argue for your believe that vaccines are harmful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But supply of vaccines isn't the issue there.

People like you are the issue there.

Quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Perfectly healthy people who've had Covid can catch it again. Also, during the period after they've had Covid they can still carry and transmit the disease.

Want that repackaged in conspiracy speak so you can accept it?

"The mainstream media used to tell us that people who've had Covid were somehow magically immune, nope, another lie, turns out a health person can actually catch Covid again. Oh and those people can actually pass it on to others even after they've had it, another thing the media conveniently forgot to tell us"

In a massive twist of irony, Putin's administration is targeting anti-vaxxer disinformation because the situation is so bad over there. You know, the same administration that has spent years deliberately engaging in a campaign of disinformation and conspiracies, and sowing division abroad via troll factories, including anti-vax stuff. Biting them in the ass now.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I'd happily discuss their conspiracy theories if they ever manage to get past the headlines. There's a good chance I'll disagree with most of it and try to prove them wrong but I'd still like to hear more about their theories than "Bill Gates is evil and wants to control us" and "they want us masked forever" and no reason for any of the theories to be true or information on what anyone has to gain from Bill Gates controlling us while we're wearing masks.

The ignore button is just another way for Gortanna to avoid discussing any of the theories in his paranoid mind. He doesn't seem to be able to form an opinion and just gets sucked in by every grifter on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is first anti-anti-vaxxer characterisation I've seen that I think is insightful and interesting instead of just saying that all anti-vaxxers are straight-up stupid or willfully perverse.

I think there is a grain of truth there. Especially where anti-vax ideas cross over with organic/natural healing movements and the pride that comes with that.

Also the pride of being a contrarian and going against the grain.

On the flipside some vax proponents win self-admiration by being in alignment with the machine of 'official' professional/career science. Especially if they are a minor bureaucrat or someone who works with statistics, e.g. a data analyst. They can 'explain' the data all day long to others.

Since many people don't recognise intellectual pride as a personal flaw, this can be encountered undisguised and I find it fairly gross a lot of the time.

I have no idea what a "vax proponent" is. It's on the same mental equivalent of writing "round-Earth proponent".

Lol

No it's someone who is a proponent of the vaccine, i.e. they believe people should take it.

Maybe I should have said 'pro-vaxxer'.

Would you describe yourself as a "pro-round-earther"?

Of course not. And here you are with "pro-vaxxer".

It seems to me you're just spoiling for a fight.

You didn't like the term 'vaccine proponent' either. Can you suggest a term then?

Note: a neutral term, not 'rational, intelligent people'

How about 'people who advocate vaccination', is that okay?

• Advertisement

Nope, we don't use the term "pro-round-earther" because there's no real debate there. Likewise you don't see the term "pro-vaxxer" or whatever, in it's place you see scientist, expert, health official, medical professional, etc.

Advertisement