Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When/How Did You Discover Forum Games?

• 12-03-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭

My first contact with Forum Games was in November 2019, when I discovered a thread about One Hit Wonders. I'm not sure how I came across it - was it a random search or a link from another forum. I came to it from a music perspective. I had not seen (or knew) about the nominations thread so I was a bit confused! Having got over that, I started to take part in other songs threads, like the '70s, '80s and the '90s. Sometimes I nominated songs as well as voting. I also took part in a few Christmas related threads, like movies or songs.

I still from time to time take part in the music tournaments, but I discovered the strange but wonderful Sheep/Heeps/Peehs threads! What I like about them is that you submit your answers beforehand and your job is done. None of this watching the threads in case you miss a vote as per the music or movies tournaments. But the banter is brilliant and all those Gif attachments, which I am useless at doing - especially in the Reveal threads!

So, how did you get here?

Comments

I followed a thread in after hours started by Jayop where he was talking about a game called werewolf. People were interested but in true after hours fashion, loads that were not in a game would post in the game thread anyway. The charter didn’t allow for member to be banned from threads and so forum games was born.

I’ve been here since it was all fields and storm names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Can't remember the very the first one but I think it might have been a music one. I know I stumbled upon it because I didn't even know there was a games forum(I wasn't around in the AH days). Think I was part of two or three before I noticed & follow the actual forum :pac:.

A music one would have caught my eye over an actual game, but I do love the sheep games now for the same reason's you've mentioned yourself :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was bored browsing one day and saw a Harry Potter themed Werewolf game playing out in the forum. Had a bit of a read of that and then went back and read all of the other games as I had absolutely no clue what was going on but thought it looked like fun.

When the next sign up thread went up I threw my name down... and the rest is history. I think before I started posting here I had maybe 1000 posts at most... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I followed a thread in after hours started by Jayop where he was talking about a game called werewolf. People were interested but in true after hours fashion, loads that were not in a game would post in the game thread anyway. The charter didn’t allow for member to be banned from threads and so forum games was born.

I’ve been here since it was all fields and storm names :)

Jayop for me too, he posted in the soccer forum on the United thread about Werewolf, id seen it a few times pop up and was curious about it before then but had a crack then when I realised it wasn't a little cliquey private side of boards

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Necro wrote: »
    Was bored browsing one day and saw a Harry Potter themed Werewolf game playing out in the forum. Had a bit of a read of that and then went back and read all of the other games as I had absolutely no clue what was going on but thought it looked like fun.

When the next sign up thread went up I threw my name down... and the rest is history. I think before I started posting here I had maybe 1000 posts at most... :pac:

Almost the exact same for me! At the same time, as it happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I saw "Mr. Kingsley and Barney92's Walrus" thread pop up on the Latest Posts section of the homepage when they threw up their sign-ups thread in October '19, and I thought it was gonna be a feel-good thread about a couple of boardsies adopting a Walrus so I clicked in to see what the craic was, but it turned out to be something far far greater, and the rest is history...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

My brother discovered forum games and told me about it. I'm not going to tell you he is for shame of association. It could be a game someday- guess who is Reberetta's brother! :D

Before this forum I had about 91 posts. I don't partake in posting on any forums other than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Reberetta wrote: »
    My brother discovered forum games and told me about it. I'm not going to tell you he is for shame of association. It could be a game someday- guess who is Reberetta's brother! :D

Before this forum I had about 91 posts. I don't partake in posting on any forums other than this one.

I was a seasoned Boards.ie user long before I became aware of Forum Games. Before I got really into the Forum Games, by far the largest number of posts by me were for the Radio forum, followed (initially anyway!) by Music, Films and Television. In fact, I came to Boards.ie in the first place because of references to it from radio anorak sources, including a dedicated site for radio anoraks!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

It was the soccer sheep game for me I think, it was advertised in the fpl general chat thread in the summer of 2019.
    My first game was a harry potter sheep and I've been hooked since :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Crazy to realise that it was 4 years ago and I have no idea how, but I stumbled on a Werewolf thread and started reading. I think I lurked a bit before I signed up for the Harry Potter game and the rest is history.
    I even got my current username from playing in this forum. Uriel was repeatedly calling me Ectoplasm because...well Uriel. So I changed it for a laugh and it stuck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Reberetta wrote: »

Haha, we'll have to do some analysis to see if we can work it out ;)

I shared the story of my finding FG in a post on another thread (thanks Rikand! :))

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116182599&postcount=134

It was only 6 weeks ago :eek: my post count before then was 150ish in 11.5 years.... now at 950+.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Omackeral was running a tournament in AH some time last year and as I far as I remember it was moved to Forum games. And I was one of those bitching and moaning about it being moved, but, I must confess things are nicer and far more gentle over here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I came across a Peehs thread on the front page and had a look simply because I was curious as to what a Peehs was. That was nearly two years ago and I haven't been able to escape yet. Somebody please get me out of this hellhole!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

51jmhp.gif

Actually, it wasn't even two years ago :p
    I can't remember the game I first saw but it was sheep I think, I followed along and it looked fun. Just looked and the first one I entered was a Peehs in May 2019, back when Rikand was just introducing them, I think. By August I was dabbling with running a game.

I still sometimes feel like I'm still quite new here, but then I remember all the users we've lost along the way and I feel quite old :p
    Thank goodness for all the young blood joining up and keeping us going!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I had to look back over my posts, but something must have grabbed my attention on another forum, because my first post was signing up to Werewolf IV.
    My first post then on the game was me saying I have absolutely no idea what is going on, but glad I jumped in with two feet to figure it all out
    After a few WW games, I had to stop as work didn't allow for playing. I think I saw posts on the main page for ENs Advent Calendar then in December, and rediscovered this little corner had grown from just being about WW, and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I've only just taken part in my first forum game. I was vaguely aware of this corner of Boards but it was only when I saw all the "trending posts" coming from an MS Paint game one evening in January that my curiosity was piqued and I started to lurk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I've been following werewolf games since the start, as jayop used to rep the games over in the soccer forum, although i only started playing this year as I previously would not have an ounce of time to play.

I had always watched the other games from the sidelines but the first game that really piqued my interest and made me post was the 2nd MS paint game about 18/20 months ago.

Laughs, mediocre performances, my first game win and 2 nemesis later, I absolutely adore this little corner of the Internet.

Forum games, a great bunch of lads n lasses!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just looked and the first one I entered was a Peehs in May 2019, back when Rikand was just introducing them, I think. By August I was dabbling with running a game.

That was the same game I started with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

First post was in the best tv show ever tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Trigger wrote: »
    I've been following werewolf games since the start, as jayop used to rep the games over in the soccer forum, although i only started playing this year as I previously would not have an ounce of time to play.

Same with regard to following from the start. But i was on a self-imposed exile from werewolf at the time after finishing up playing on another forum. I didnt play until I felt I could again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It was just about this time last year. During the lockdown I was nosying around Boards looking for a break from all the doom and gloom.
    I think the first thing I entered was the Nec-Skunk movie walrus, and i am still waiting for the reveal :P:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It was just about this time last year. During the lockdown I was nosying around Boards looking for a break from all the doom and gloom.
    I think the first thing I entered was the Nec-Skunk movie walrus, and i am still waiting for the reveal :P:pac:

53f99a6ea25171f6d9bfb52327a7aac4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I never know such an awesome place existed until I randomly came across quickbeams best movie ever tournament

It was probably around 2018/19 ? I was living overseas and in evenings when I had nothing on would be spent on boards.
    Can't remember the first game I joined but there were a lot more quiz type games then, I remember.
    It's probably 2019 when I won my only Peehs or sheep tournament!

I also introduced a work colleague to FG, and I always make sure to beat them in games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Game 1

osh wrote: »
    Game 1
    Hipster :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I had a look at my oldest posts in Forum Games and the first game I posted on was the one hit wonders back in November 2019.
    Can't recall how I found the thread, either I was browsing the recreation and hobbies forum or it came up in the most recent posts.

I've been a member of boards for more than 9 years and only 16 months in Forum Games but my FG post count accounts for almost 50% of all my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Husband had entered a couple of Sheeps etc so I asked him to let me know when a Sheep I’d be interested in came up. Can’t remember what it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

My first contact with Forum Games was in November 2019, when I discovered a thread about One Hit Wonders.
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    I had a look at my oldest posts in Forum Games and the first game I posted on was the one hit wonders back in November 2019.

I will claim 2 victims then :D

I have been knocking around here for the last 4 years. Started in the 20 Questions game (man that was fun, we should look at reviving it)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057704711&page=398

Anywho, a couple of lads there, I will name no names, suggested I play werewolf. Well you know how the rest goes...

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I've been a member of boards for more than 9 years and only 16 months in Forum Games but my FG post count accounts for almost 50% of all my posts.
    5½ years on boards, 2 on FG and FG is 89% of my posts :D

Advertisement