Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo Smart Clock / Smart Clock Essential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Alkers wrote: »
    Correct, can't remember which way you swipe but you can set the background

Swipe up from bottom > Settings (cog icon). Select Clock Face.
    Swipe all the way to the right and tap the edit pencil on the Google Photos clock face.

You can select the albums you want to display along with other information to show. It will ask you to confirm by voice, so it knows whose photos to pop up. Very important, the photos can't be "archived" in Google Photos. On both this and other Google smart displays, archiving a photo hides it on the display.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

nephster wrote: »
    Swipe up from bottom > Settings (cog icon). Select Clock Face.
    Swipe all the way to the right and tap the edit pencil on the Google Photos clock face.

You can select the albums you want to display along with other information to show. It will ask you to confirm by voice, so it knows whose photos to pop up. Very important, the photos can't be "archived" in Google Photos. On both this and other Google smart displays, archiving a photo hides it on the display.

Thanks, got it working. Now to figure out how to change how long each photo displays for.

Also, Newstalk FM won't play- anyone else get this too?

If these come back in stock anywhere (not Essential) can someone let me know please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks, got it working. Now to figure out how to change how long each photo displays for.

Also, Newstalk FM won't play- anyone else get this too?

If these come back in stock anywhere (not Essential) can someone let me know please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

This is the same for other Google devices. I guess "News" and "Talk" are words that are too generic to search. It works if you spell it out...

"Hey Google, play N-E-W-S-T-A-L-K on TuneIn".

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

If you ask it to play "Newstalk Radio" it works for me.

RonanC wrote: »
    If you ask it to play "Newstalk Radio" it works for me.

Yes, that works if I say "...from TuneIn". Otherwise Google lady says she can't play any news from Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

A tip that works on the Google speakers, would here to I think

In google home create a routine with a key word, then in the actions type "play newstalk radio on tunein radio", then just saying the key word should be enough. I have that for a few radio stations as I often got the wrong thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

A tip that works on the Google speakers, would here to I think

In google home create a routine with a key word, then in the actions type "play newstalk radio on tunein radio", then just saying the key word should be enough. I have that for a few radio stations as I often got the wrong thing

I bought the smart clock, and it doesn't seem to support routines the way my nest mini does. I have morning and night routines set up, but they don't work on the clock. I found a discussion on the Lenovo support forum about it, there has been no update from Lenovo.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, that works if I say "...from TuneIn". Otherwise Google lady says she can't play any news from Newstalk.

Try "Play NewsTalk FM". This works for me on all devices, including the Smart Clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

nephster wrote: »
    Try "Play NewsTalk FM". This works for me on all devices, including the Smart Clock.

Was about to suggest this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

DopeTech wrote: »
    LW can be daylight robbery a lot of the time

€89.99 for a nest mini which can be got for a smidge more than €25 by shopping around!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

DopeTech wrote: »
    LW can be daylight robbery a lot of the time

Generally yes but last year I got a Sonos Beam there for nearly half price. Felt like I was robbing them.

PreCocious wrote: »
    Generally yes but last year I got a Sonos Beam there for nearly half price. Felt like I was robbing them.

Same here, looks like that was a mis-price though. Was happy to take advantage of it, nice piece of kit (apart from the "smart" part of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

gipi wrote: »
    I bought the smart clock, and it doesn't seem to support routines the way my nest mini does. I have morning and night routines set up, but they don't work on the clock. I found a discussion on the Lenovo support forum about it, there has been no update from Lenovo.

My morning routine worked fine on the Smart Clock until about a month or two ago. Now it's random whether they'll work at all or at some random time after the alarm they are configured to follow.

I'm also getting "there was a glitch" a lot when saying Hello Google of late, for around the same length of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Less than €25 including shipping at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Less than €25 including shipping at the mo.
    Gone, or referring to the Essential version?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Gone, or referring to the Essential version?

Essential version! It's €20.99 + shipping, works out @ €25.53 including shipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Where can I get the e coupon code??

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

naughto wrote: »
    Where can I get the e coupon code??

It was mentioned on the page for me, but the code was "LASTCHANCE".

Ended up ordering one for myself today. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

cromelex wrote: »
    It was mentioned on the page for me, but the code was "LASTCHANCE".

Ended up ordering one for myself today. Thanks

The code is now expired & they suddenly have stock of the non-essential smart clock back in stock! 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

curranbaz wrote: »
    The code is now expired & they suddenly have stock of the non-essential smart clock back in stock! ��

45€ still seems good though, just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    If my phone is in same room & I say "OK Google..." both Lenovo & phone wake & obey the command.
    Any way to prevent phone waking when I'm talking to Lenivo? (besides moving phone out of ear shot)

Hi,
    If my phone is in same room & I say "OK Google..." both Lenovo & phone wake & obey the command.
    Any way to prevent phone waking when I'm talking to Lenivo? (besides moving phone out of ear shot)

Have you allocated the Lenovo to a room in the Google Home app? I suspect devices allocated to rooms take precedence over "roaming" devices such as phones when triggered, but if neither have precedence both might try and answer the command. Both should always trigger, but only one should respond.

Unless you have multiple smart devices it wouldn't be obvious you need to tell Google Home where they are and/or start grouping them... Allocating speakers to a room is how they know to run room-specific commands like to turn on/off lights *in that room* without having to specify the room, if the lights have also been allocated to that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My parents love their essential clock. It's much smaller than I expected but the display is bigger than their old clock radio. The nightlight is brilliant too. Thanks for spotting and sharing the offer OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Hi,

Normally my phone starts to take the command but stops once it realises it's being picked up by the speaker. That said I did find it a bit annoying that my phone would come to life every time I said the command so I just turned off "hey google" functionality on the phone. I can still bring up the assistant voice command on the phone by long pressing the home button which is what I would usually do anyway if I'm ever giving voice commands on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

help required
    I bought 3 essential smart clocks but someone else had the same idea and now I have surplus.
    I contacted Lenovo about returning it and got the following response
    "Please accept our apologies; the Lenovo Online Store provides a period of 14 days from purchase for the evaluation of most products and your refund request falls outside that time frame"
    I am 100% certain that I read that any product bought between 16th Oct and some date in Dec a 30 day return policy would apply.
    I can't find this again, anyone recall seeing it? any suggestions?
    Ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

iisollie wrote: »
    help required
    I bought 3 essential smart clocks but someone else had the same idea and now I have surplus.
    I contacted Lenovo about returning it and got the following response
    "Please accept our apologies; the Lenovo Online Store provides a period of 14 days from purchase for the evaluation of most products and your refund request falls outside that time frame"
    I am 100% certain that I read that any product bought between 16th Oct and some date in Dec a 30 day return policy would apply.
    I can't find this again, anyone recall seeing it? any suggestions?
    Ollie

I might buy it off you. Sent you a PM

The original is €39.99 (black) and in stock in curry's and the essential is €59.99 but out of stock.

Which one is better? Does original have a night light

• Advertisement

The original is €39.99 (black) in curry's and the essential is €59.99.

Which one is better? Does original have a night light

Advertisement