Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

saabsaab wrote: »
    I was thinking along those lines. Saw a van recently with a RoI reg but yellow plates the way the letters/numbers were arranged looked like a NI. I guessed that if they visit the 6 regularly they won't stand out.

It would be funny if the car was vandalised in the Republic by local fenians who thought it was a Brit car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It would be funny if the car was vandalised in the Republic by local fenians who thought it was a Brit car.

They should just rip the yellow plate off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There are a lot of idiots out there when it comes to numberplates.

The people who put German Federal State stickers on their numberplates are the worst.

Are they trying to trick speedcameras. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

no they don't

Garages will put it on as a free advert, but if you get your own plates made up in a motor factors its blank.

I've never bothered replacing the ones on a car, but caravan and trailers? no ads.

Just noticed a follow up.... England and Wales maybe. Scotland and NI? nope.

My Car is originally scottish and had no diffs getting yellow trailer plates (with the scottish number)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

WHOA!

I didn't spot one post saying "YELLOW REG NO HITBACKS!" followed by some sort of thumping emoji

What is wrong with people today? I'm ready for the George Sanders long walk

• Advertisement

A slight hijack - but maybe 1 more for the "You learn something..." category.

"From 2001 plates sold in England and Wales had to be provided by a supplier on the DVLA's Register of Number Plate Suppliers (RNPS) as specified in British Standard BSAU145d. The supplier needs to confirm that the customer is the registered keeper or other authorised person and verify their identity. The name and postcode of the supplier must be shown at the bottom of the plate.

Registered number plate suppliers must keep records including details of the documents produced by their customers"

So, not only can't you get your plates from Tom, Dick or Harry there will be basic checks to ensure you are entitled to purchase the plates with that particular registration mark.

A pathetic (as usual) attempt to prevent cloning number plates.

In my experience, you couldn’t get GB plates in places like Halfords without all that proof, but Tom, Dick and Harry under the arches round the back by the railway station supplied them no problem at all for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

WHOA!

I didn't spot one post saying "YELLOW REG NO HITBACKS!" followed by some sort of thumping emoji

What is wrong with people today? I'm ready for the George Sanders long walk

Playstation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

fin12 wrote: »
    If I was a guard, I would get great satisfaction fining someone over those yellow plates. Don’t make an Irish car out to be a uk one.

I've never seen them go Dutch with yellow front and rear.

🙈🙉🙊

Why, you should already know you're dealing with an absolute plank.....

I always believe in giving someone a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

no they don't

Garages will put it on as a free advert, but if you get your own plates made up in a motor factors its blank.

I've never bothered replacing the ones on a car, but caravan and trailers? no ads.

Just noticed a follow up.... England and Wales maybe. Scotland and NI? nope.

My Car is originally scottish and had no diffs getting yellow trailer plates (with the scottish number)

Motor factors would have a name or letters on the plate.

• Advertisement

I always believe in giving someone a chance.

Yeah very true but seriously, a yellow plate, I'd take it off, beat them with said yellow plate, beat some more and then get them to put a new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd have a word with them first and give them a chance. Unless they got awkward.

Thats why theres so much flagrant breaking of various laws like this. If youre in Dublin say, you could go years without meeting the same gard twice unless you never leave your own area. You could get numerous "have a word" and never bother changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The legislation covering reg plates in Ireland is the most specific piece of legislation you'll read. It tells you exactly how wide the lettering should be, the placement, the width of the gaps between numbers, the height of the lettering, etc. There isn't 1 other bit of leglisation that is as specfic as the one covering reg plates.

A snippet:

5. The periphery of the plate shall be marked all around by a black border having a stroke width of 5 millimetres.
    10. The identification mark and place name shall be formed of black characters and shall be exhibited on white reflex reflective material so that the identification mark appears at all times from the front of the plate as black characters on a white background.
    11. The flag of the European Communities shall appear as a circle of twelve gold stars against a blue background (of a colour shade generally known as royal blue); the centre points of the twelve stars shall form a circle with a radius of 15 millimetres and the straight lines forming the apexes of the stars shall be 4 millimetres in length.
    12. The letters IRL shall appear in white letters on the blue background of the flag of the European Communities underneath the circle of stars and each such letter shall have a height of 20 millimetres and a stroke width of 4 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each of the letters R and L shall be 12 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters shall be uniform.
    14. The place name shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter 1) shall be not less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

And so on. When I was a Garda, I'd let people off with a warning and tell them to change them (if nothing else was wrong with the car). I'd note the reg and be able to double check if I had previously warned them. It's a lot of paperwork for something small, so that's why I went with an initial warning.

But I also agree, it's stupid. Same with the German style plates. Both illegal, and while you'd never hear of someone getting done for it, it can be an 'extra' charge if you caused an accident or something else was up with it. A +1 if you will. And can you imagine the backlash if the Gardai actually started enforcing this? "Have yiz nuttin better to be doing", "why don't you catch the real criminals", etc, etc... God I don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's a youth near me with a mk6 white golf, purple headlights, cb airel, yellow plate etc with the amount of smoke out of it you'd think it was fueled with turf. The worst part is the back of the car is jet black with soot

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There's a youth near me with a mk6 white golf, purple headlights, cb airel, yellow plate etc with the amount of smoke out of it you'd think it was fueled with turf. The worst part is the back of the car is jet black with soot

'rolling Coal'? over fueled to increase torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Maybe we can establish a thread with photos of all of these wanna be Brits and German plate idiots. Insurance companies can check for fools and jack up their premiums accordingly.

I've never seen them go Dutch with yellow front and rear.

They wouldn’t do cause they want to make out the car is English. A Uk reg I’m pretty sure all have a white plate at the front.

Yeah very true but seriously, a yellow plate, I'd take it off, beat them with said yellow plate, beat some more and then get them to put a new one on.

Haha lol 😂

boombang wrote: »
    Maybe we can establish a thread with photos of all of these wanna be Brits and German plate idiots. Insurance companies can check for fools and jack up their premiums accordingly.

Omg that’s a brilliant idea, i don’t think I’ll be able to Contribute, as I’m in Cork and never seen one down here. Only saw them in donegal.

Omg that’s a brilliant idea, i don’t think I’ll be able to Contribute, as I’m in Cork and never seen one down here. Only saw them in donegal.

Came across it in Clare and Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭PearSofter

you all sound like miserable bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think it’s like a Donegal thing cause I’ve never seen it anywhere else in the country. I think it’s pretty stupid cause from a distance u think it’s a English reg car.

41 years old, born and reared in Donegal, work in NI for 25 of those years.

Never in my life have I seen a DL car or any other Irish car with a yellow back plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

:o

No you're wrong ......

All UK plates are yellow, with NI plates having three letters on the left, while GB plates have two letters on the left followed by two digits, then the remainder of the plate, either way, UK plates are yellow and ROI plates are not (normally) yellow.

And coming soon, electric vehicles in the UK get a green strip on the left of the plate.

PRI_162725226.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

DrPhilG wrote: »

Never in my life have I seen a DL car or any other Irish car with a yellow back plate.

I saw one yesterday, on a nice bmw, in the west of Ireland. I see them a good few times in a week.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Unfortunately I see them even in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I see yellow Irish reg plates out and about a fair bit, too. As per the conversation in the thread, it's usually cars that belong to people that think stickers are an improvement to a car. :rolleyes:
    thinking they're harder than a quarry..

What a great saying! :D

Thick as two planks they are

PearSofter wrote: »

I guess I am. Comes with the territory.

• Advertisement

PearSofter wrote: »

You sound like a winner with german or yellow plates.

Is she a red eye passat?

Advertisement