Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

KevRossi wrote: »
    I put them on a Sprinter van once a few years back as I was advised to do so by the site foreman. Was working in Belfast, out near Holywood. Had to pick up and drop off people at Belfast Central train station in the morning and evenings, then go out to a B&B on the Antrim Rd.

Drove Dublin - Belfast Monday morning and back on a Friday afternoon. Van was usually parked up in Dublin at the weekends.

Did it for 5 months, I was never stopped once by the Gardai. PSNI asked me once about the plates, when I explained it, he said 'fair enough', and let me go. That was in Belfast City Centre.

To be honest they make no difference, the people you need to be careful of aren't that thick and will spot a southern a mile away..,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To be honest they make no difference, the people you need to be careful of aren't that thick and will spot a southern a mile away..,
    By the paper on the windscreen.

Not your ornery onager

If you were that worried, rental van would have been best option....

At first glance someone might not notice. That might be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Me and my cousin used to punch each other in the arm when we'd see a car with a yellow reg. Did anyone else do that?

"Yellow reg, no return"

"Ouch, I said no return"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

.anon. wrote: »
    Me and my cousin used to punch each other in the arm when we'd see a car with a yellow reg. Did anyone else do that?
    No. I think you need help :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Its a big thing with the young bucks....

A lot tend to have mats as mud flaps and a CB ariel too....

As mentioned smoke marks and puffs out the rear and many tend to be lowered to the point of beyond dangerous.

Only really see it outside Dublin. Rarely see boy racer type vehicles in Dublin anymore.

GT89 wrote: »
    Only really see it outside Dublin. Rarely boy racer type vehicles in Dublin anymore.

I do see it a lot in the whest....

An odd time in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I do see it a lot in the whest....

An odd time in Dublin.

I've seen a bit in the midlands as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I like seeing the yellow plates. It mean that I wont give Nordies or Nordie wannabees any leeway and they can wait to enter the line of traffic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Felt spec. Magherafelt spec. Been around donkeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:o
    kravmaga wrote: »
    NI and UK are both on rear yellow reg plates.

3 Letters on left rear yellow plate is NI.

4 Letters on left rear yellow plate is UK.

No you're wrong ......

All UK plates are yellow, with NI plates having three letters on the left, while GB plates have two letters on the left followed by two digits, then the remainder of the plate, either way, UK plates are yellow and ROI plates are not (normally) yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why do people change their rear number plates to yellow ones? Irish cars with say a DL reg but its yellow. The white plates look better so why change them? do they want to be British or what is the story?

Either west brits or the clowns assume the speed cameras cannot read them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,805 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strumms wrote: »

What is legal in Ireland is white front and red on rear but that's very old, then we have the black/silver which you see on the army trucks and jeeps.... Then we have the EU style and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ive seen a few old VRs with the yellow reg with Irish numbers.
    I just thought it was a boy-racer type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

More likely to be a NI reg car.
    ... different to an English reg.

No it said DL in the middle. It was a donegal reg. I was stopped in traffic so had a load of time to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd say it's a border county thing where they used a print shop in Northern Ireland that only had yellow plates.

Front plates on UK cars are white.

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

fin12 wrote: »
    No it said DL in the middle. It was a donegal reg. I was stopped in traffic so had a load of time to look at it.

I thought it was to do with where the car is registered. White front and back = RofI registered and taxed. White front plate and yellow back plate = N. Ire. Yellow back & front = Uk ref car. Of course it also used mean speeding tickets, penalty points and parking fines were uninforcible. I think they may have a token gesture to address that now.

It helped a lit more before the ‘new’ regs and NCT rules on ‘standardised’ plates & fonts were brought in.

I usually taKe it to mean unconvictable unless a really messy incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It's a boy racer thing - they think that it is cool. It's def not west brit thing. Most of the lads I know locally that have them are the ones that'd be singing rebel songs in the pub (when that was a thing).

Don't know if the Gardai can do anything about them other than warn the drivers that they are illegal. Think it's dealt with by Revenue.

FanadMan wrote: »
    It's a boy racer thing - they think that it is cool. It's def not west brit thing. Most of the lads I know locally that have them are the ones that'd be singing rebel songs in the pub (when that was a thing).

Don't know if the Gardai can do anything about them other than warn the drivers that they are illegal. Think it's dealt with by Revenue.

Fcpn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

I thought it was to do with where the car is registered. White front and back = RofI registered and taxed. White front plate and yellow back plate = N. Ire. Yellow back & front = Uk ref car. Of course it also used mean speeding tickets, penalty points and parking fines were uninforcible. I think they may have a token gesture to address that now.

It helped a lit more before the ‘new’ regs and NCT rules on ‘standardised’ plates & fonts were brought in.

I usually taKe it to mean unconvictable unless a really messy incident.

GB is white front and yellow rear, same as NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

You learn something new every day! Had it down as advertising, what's the real reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why do people change their rear number plates to yellow ones? Irish cars with say a DL reg but its yellow. The white plates look better so why change them? do they want to be British or what is the story?

.....yes im sure they would just love to pledge allegiance to the Queen tomorrow. Such an obvious giveaway when they have a yellow number plate with an Irish Reg. *sarcasm*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    .....yes im sure they would just love to pledge allegiance to the Queen tomorrow. Such an obvious giveaway when they have a yellow number plate with an Irish Reg. *sarcasm*

Well if u live in the republic, you are supposed to have an Irish reg on your vehicle so might just come down to that. Doesn’t mean they don’t consider themselves British.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Soup slurpers

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I've seen loads of them. Usually youngfellas in a ****box jetta with some cringworthy stickers on the back windscreen, lowered as low as it could possibly go, super bright and out of focus HID kit lights, tinted windows darker than night and them driving around with a hood up thinking they're harder than a quarry..

Sounds like me when I was younger except it was a van and I didn't bother with the stickers. Still actually have the CB radio and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Except nobody’s ever been fined €5000

Advertisement