Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avoid non-essential travel !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

tombrown wrote: »
    Yes, but, unfortunately, it also means RyanAir don't have to refund your flight, which is, I suspect, part of the reasoning behind that classification

Any agreement made with a transport company is a private one. Nothing to do travel restrictions.

Between people traveling so as not to lose an airfare and the people complaining about the schools closed and stuck with their kids at home, you would wonder if the message is getting through.

150,000 infected. Approaching 6,000 dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, but, unfortunately, it also means RyanAir don't have to refund your flight, which is, I suspect, part of the reasoning behind that classification

Absolutely, 100% that is a large part of it.

But it doesn't change the fact that people are actually considering travelling, simply so they don't 'lose' their money.

I had family over from a foreign country recently and 1 got sick (just stomach pains etc). But the panic from being in a foreign country (for them), lack of access to health services (doctors wouldn't visit etc) and the worry about what to do if it was CV and would that mean all having to stay, only the sick person, etc. Etc.

It crystallised to me that it simply wasn't worth it hassle and worry to travel. Being stuck at home is a PITA, but much better than being stuck away from home.

If money on flights is all you lose then count yourself lucky. There are people going to die, going to get very sick, people will lose jobs etc etc. Missing a week or two hols is not really that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

That's when travel insurance can step in and cover you even if an airline does't cancel flights (in the case of places being designated 'avoid non essential travel').

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Fireball81 wrote: »
    That's when travel insurance can step in and cover you even if an airline does't cancel flights (in the case of places being designated 'avoid non essential travel').

Most won't

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Just to be clear - I am NOT thinking of traveling "just to save the airfare". I came on here to ask advice & got it

I am however a bit pissed off at potentially losing a load of money when I don't go because the DFA says "avoid non essential travel" and stops short of saying "do not travel" - though, hopefully, that will change. In the current situation, RyanAir is not obliged to cancel the flight & so is not obliged to refund the fare. Travel insurance falls down in two areas for me (1) I took it out after Covid was known about back in January, so apparently it was a known risk & cannot be insured against, (2) Even without (1) I don't believe they have to pay unless I have a certified medical reason not to travel (of which "avoiding Covid" is probably not one).

Now the chances are Spain will become "Do not travel" and everything will be cancelled, and I can get money back from RyanAir and AirBnB. That is my hope

Funnily enough the flights for all the family that cost me over €2000, I could now get for less than €800 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Ginger83 wrote: »
    Most won't

'Most' :confused: How many travel policies have you studied?

The answer is to read your policy. My AIG policy will cover me if the travel advice is to avoid 'non-essential' travel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Most won't

VHI multi trip does, havn't personally looked at the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Multi trip don’t, unless you purchased the Travel Disruption add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Am supposed to travel as part of a large group in July. I know we’re in unchartered waters here, but what are e chances of travelling to the UK in July looking like?

Haven’t been able to find any documents relating to how long this thing might be around for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cona wrote: »
    Am supposed to travel as part of a large group in July. I know we’re in unchartered waters here, but what are e chances of travelling to the UK in July looking like?

Haven’t been able to find any documents relating to how long this thing might be around for...

Nobody knows. If someone says they know, ignore them.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    'Most' :confused: How many travel policies have you studied?

The answer is to read your policy. My AIG policy will cover me if the travel advice is to avoid 'non-essential' travel.

Mine does not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Went online to change Ryanair flight after they announced they're waiving flight change fees. Found flights for August bank holiday weekend so went to book them, and they are substantially higher via the flight change option than they are if you buy them new. Great PR with the free flight change announcement and make the money back in a sneaky way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mine does not

So that enables you to declare that 'most' policies won't provide that cover?

As with motor insurance, the answer almost always is: 'read the policy'.

coylemj wrote: »
    So that enables you to declare that 'most' policies won't provide that cover?

As with motor insurance, the answer almost always is: 'read the policy'.

No most policies will not pay out on an advised do not travel.

It will just mean that many will still travel, myself included unless there is a travel ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

Laya pays out on do not travel/non essential

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

No most policies will not pay out on an advised do not travel.

It will just mean that many will still travel, myself included unless there is a travel ban.

No. 'Most' people will not travel to a country that has declared a state of emergency. 'Most' people are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

skinny90 wrote: »
    Yeah for me I don’t mind..we are avoiding all the party places.

So you don't mind possibly not going to any restaurant or seeing any sights? Just deserted streets?

People may not be that happy to see you on your return!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Will you get the money back from flights if you cancel/if it doesn’t go ahead if you have or don’t have travel insurance. I have VHI health insurance but no travel.

No. 'Most' people will not travel to a country that has declared a state of emergency. 'Most' people are not stupid.

As i said many will

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm going and I've a terminal condition

Fair enough you are not worried about yourself, but if you get covid19 you could end up suffering a lot more than you think.

What about anyone traveling with you, what about anyone you are traveling to meet ?
    What about the airport what about the plane what about bringing it over there
    What about going shopping :confused:

I wonder what type of shopping you do?

You are being either wilfully disingenuous or rather stupid if you think going out shopping is anywhere near risking the same level of exposure as turning up at an airport for a flight with queues of people from God knows where, spending a few hours in very close proximity with maybe over a hundred people in a tin can breathing recycled air, to be followed by further queues with even more people from God knows where at the destination airport.
    And then you have to probably take bus or taxi to get to final accommodation.

I can't understand why anyone is willing to go through those risks.

And then what happens even if you do get to the foreign holiday destination ?
    What happens if the authorities decide to quarantine you ?
    Will shops be open, will bars and restaurants be open, will any attractions be open ?

What happens if you get sick and have to find medical treatment ?
    It is bad enough in your own country, but what will it be like when you may not have the language.
    Then again a lot of other countries have better health services, but this isn't the time to start testing them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Went online to change Ryanair flight after they announced they're waiving flight change fees. Found flights for August bank holiday weekend so went to book them, and they are substantially higher via the flight change option than they are if you buy them new. Great PR with the free flight change announcement and make the money back in a sneaky way.

Same here, I have Lanzarote booked for a week on the 26th. I noticed it's cheaper to book new flights than change a flight to those same dates.
    To me that's the shaft, any date I select is dearer.
    I'm going to hold off changing flights until either the flight I've booked is canceled or someone cops on in Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Spain in lockdown party of me is delighted for the selfish gits that went in the first place 😈 but most of me wishes they stay safe 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Spain in lockdown party of me is delighted for the selfish gits that went in the first place 😈 but most of me wishes they stay safe 😇

Thankfully the decision has been taken out of the hands of irresponsible ****wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

I rang my insurer, AA, yesterday as I am booked on a flight to Spain next week. They were very clear on the point that if the DFA has said no non-essential travel, they WILL consider a claim for a refund of my flight. If my airline (Ryanair) ends up cancelling the flight that's fine I'll be reimbursed, but if not, I can claim on my insurance.

They also said if I did choose to travel against the DFA advice I would NOT be covered by my insurance which is fair and exactly what I would expect. Will get the refund one way or another and stay home for now. Everyone's policies will differ of course but am just passing this on in case it's useful to other insured travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

If you can claim back from your insurance there will be an excess charge per person pluse you will not be able to claim yoyr airport tax back from them either ,look closely at how your ticket os broken down and i bet the price of your ticket is very low so agter the excess its harly worth while claiming, then when you claim you airport tax there is also an admin fee for this so again very little gets returned to you. If the gov just came straight out and cancelled flughrs to certan countries or the airlines cancel them then you will be able to claim a full refunds hence only advsery notices, big difference in returns for the traveler.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

If you can claim back from your insurance there will be an excess charge per person pluse you will not be able to claim yoyr airport tax back from them either ,look closely at how your ticket os broken down and i bet the price of your ticket is very low so agter the excess its harly worth while claiming, then when you claim you airport tax there is also an admin fee for this so again very little gets returned to you. If the gov just came straight out and cancelled flughrs to certan countries or the airlines cancel them then you will be able to claim a full refunds hence only advsery notices, big difference in returns for the traveler.
    It totally depends on individual policy. I added an excess waiver when I got the policy so no excess. The flights were €300 so definitely don't think it's hardly worth while claiming. Agree that it'd be better all round to have clear cut cancellations but I couldn't be happier I bothered getting travel insurance to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

From facebook:

Important Notice: All Ryanair Group Flights to/from Poland Cancelled From Sunday 15 March To Tuesday 31 March.

Affected customers will receive an email notification informing them of their options:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

How much are taxs or did the flight cost 300 plus tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

njburke wrote: »
    Same here, I have Lanzarote booked for a week on the 26th. I noticed it's cheaper to book new flights than change a flight to those same dates.
    To me that's the shaft, any date I select is dearer.
    I'm going to hold off changing flights until either the flight I've booked is canceled or someone cops on in Ryanair.

I made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland so will see if anything comes of that.

Advertisement