Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended TV Shows - Podcasts etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

BBC 2 just started now : Murder Trial......the disappearance of Margaret Fleming

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

Gave "West Cork" a go for my walks and absolutely loved it. Incredible stuff.

Maybe the fact Amazon got involved and gave them a few bob elevated it, it reminded me of Making a Murderer, that kind of mysterious essential listening.

So with that finished and on recommendations here I tried 45 minutes of the East Area rapist of Casefile, and while it is good unfortunately it's not gripping me as much as essentially it's "dude on his own in his basement talking into a mic", whereas West Cork featured interviews with people involved woven into a narrative.

I'm going to try Hunting Warhead next.

Can anyone recommend others similar to West Cork where the people involved are interviewed rather than a case just being discussed by 1 or more hosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

In The Dark by APM Reports is pretty fantastic, worth checking out if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

tinpib wrote: »
    Gave "West Cork" a go for my walks and absolutely loved it. Incredible stuff.

Maybe the fact Amazon got involved and gave them a few bob elevated it, it reminded me of Making a Murderer, that kind of mysterious essential listening.

So with that finished and on recommendations here I tried 45 minutes of the East Area rapist of Casefile, and while it is good unfortunately it's not gripping me as much as essentially it's "dude on his own in his basement talking into a mic", whereas West Cork featured interviews with people involved woven into a narrative.

I'm going to try Hunting Warhead next.

Can anyone recommend others similar to West Cork where the people involved are interviewed rather than a case just being discussed by 1 or more hosts?

You could try "the nobody zone" from RTE but there's only 2 episodes out, episodes released every Tuesday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thanks Mantis, I might wait till more episodes are out, but will check it out. I only heard about that guy for the first time in the last few months.

I'm really enjoying Hunting Warhead, as I said when the people involved are interviewed and you hear things first hand makes the whole thing far more interesting for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thanks Mantis, I might wait till more episodes are out, but will check it out. I only heard about that guy for the first time in the last few months.

I'm really enjoying Hunting Warhead, as I said when the people involved are interviewed and you hear things first hand makes the whole thing far more interesting for me.

You might enjoy Sword and Scale then. It's predominately recordings, interviews etc. but be warned the podcast can glorify cases a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Episode 4 is excellently done. It's worth staying with.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You might enjoy Sword and Scale then. It's predominately recordings, interviews etc. but be warned the podcast can glorify cases a little bit.

The host is an asshole which puts me off.

He did a good job with Morgan Ingram, Jessica Ridgeway and Luka Magnotta cases off the top of my head but I gave up after finding out more about his antics online.

Generation Why is my go-to for unglorified cases. They tend to give fair analysis and explain everything really well. Don't assume you know anything but don't come across lecturing either which is what the sword and scale dude does

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

8-10 wrote: »

He did a good job with Morgan Ingram, Jessica Ridgeway and Luka Magnotta cases off the top of my head but I gave up after finding out more about his antics online.

Generation Why is my go-to for unglorified cases. They tend to give fair analysis and explain everything really well. Don't assume you know anything but don't come across lecturing either which is what the sword and scale dude does

Generation Why are top class. They're probably my favourite. I love how they start each episode asking each other how they are!!
    True Crime Garage is good too, one of the hosts can be a bit of a smart ass so if you don't like that it's not for you.
    I also like True Crime All The Time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

8-10 wrote: »

I agree, he is a complete asshole online.

However that has nothing to do with the actual podcast though. It is very annoying when he becomes preachy, I skip through those bits.

• Advertisement

Finished "Finding Warhead", it was excellent, the only part I found particularly harrowing was the last 20 minutes or so.

Just about to finish the second of two episodes of "Down the Hill" about the Delphi murders of 2 girls aged 12/13 in rural Indiana a few years back. They captured their killer on Snapchat but it is still unsolved.

Anyway, was just searching the True Crime' subreddit for some recommendations over there and an Irish podcast came up.

It's https://mensreapod.com/about/

Don't think it's been mentioned elsewhere. You folks know as much about it as me, but great to have one with over 50 episodes with many of them Irish cases.

Anyway, was just searching the True Crime' subreddit for some recommendations over there and an Irish podcast came up.

It's https://mensreapod.com/about/

Don't think it's been mentioned elsewhere. You folks know as much about it as me, but great to have one with over 50 episodes with many of them Irish cases.

It's very good alright.

I'd recommend episode 13 about Hazel Mullen/Green Tureen - one of, if not the, biggest murders in the history of the state. Anybody over a certain age would remember this case for sure, but to the majority of the population now you'd have no idea about it as it basically never comes up these days like more recent cases do.

Good site to watch some TV

No login required

https://www.dplay.co.uk/

Example

Quest Red Chan for Crime

https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/dead-of-winter/video/as-he-lay-frozen/EHD_268700B

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

If anyone has Audible, there's a fantastic Serial-style podcast there called "Body of Proof". About the disappearance of a woman in Edinburgh in 2010. Really well written and presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭ Marlon Swift Yo-yo

Hi Folks - Any good audio book suggestion from the Google Play Store ?

I'll be gone in the dark from Michelle McNamara is good. About the hunt for the golden state killer. Not sure if it's available on play books, I got it on Audible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You can view four episodes here

https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/the-golden-state-killer-its-not-over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭ Marlon Swift Yo-yo

Thanks for the recommendation, don't see it on google play. But I do remember Casefile did few episodes on the same case a while back.

McMillions is a good doc on sky documentaries.
    About the mcdonald's manopoly scam back in the 90's. A bit long but goes into quite a lot of detail.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I am absolutely OBSESSED with the "My Favourite Murder" podcast, who ever knew true crime could be so frickin hilarious?!

Morbidology is good too.

Both on Spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

Death in Ice Valley and Missing in Alaska are recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I am absolutely OBSESSED with the "My Favourite Murder" podcast, who ever knew true crime could be so frickin hilarious?!

Morbidology is good too.

Both on Spotify.

This week's episode of MFM is great, time absolutely flew by listening to it! Particularly upsetting cases though.

I really like the podcast You're Wrong About, their episodes on the OJ Simpson trial are great and really in depth (their episodes on Paula Barbieri are particularly excellent).

They did an episode a few weeks ago on the Chandra Levy case that was great too, I think I'd heard about it on another podcast at some stage but they really cut through a lot of the 'noise'.

"They Walk Among Us" is fantastic, all about UK true crime stories. In the same style as Casefile. Brilliant podcast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Listening to LISK podcast it’s really good, like how it’s more centered on the victim’s so far. Really nice style to it (by Mopac Audio)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alc%C3%A0sser_Murders

This is a fascinating case and still no closer to being satisfactorily resolved, imo.
    The journo who claims to have a video died around the time the show came out and there's no idea where that video is (if it ever existed)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

The Teacher's Pet is a great podcast to listen to if you have the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Teacher%27s_Pet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Love The Teacher's Pet - could be condensed indeed but great work otherwise.

Currently listening to Black Hands - also from down under (New Zealand) about the Bain family murders. Very weird stuff.

Any good recommendations for a documentary on TV?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any good recommendations for a documentary on TV?

Any particular genre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I've been trying to think of documentaries, but podcasts are better IMO. The documentaries are so full of padding.

Bardstown (about recent unsolved murders in a small Kentucky town) has an equivalent TV documentary but it draaaaaaags. Highly recommend the Bardstown podcast though.

Ditto Bundyville - about the far right anti government movement in the western U.S. There's a PBS documentary about them (the Bundy family of Nevada - no relation to Ted) but again, I prefer the podcast.

There's gonna be a TV series of I'll Be Gone In The Dark.

Advertisement