Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

famous people who overcame stuttering

Options
  • 28-07-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

As I person who has a Stutter it's nice to know that even famous people have it as well. Tiger woods and Bruce Willis both had a stutter in their teenage years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭DunnoKiddo

^ you'd never guess that about them.

Even James Earl Jones supposedly stuttered.

....(I have a fierce stammer at times)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rowan Atkinson also had a speech impediment, it is why he adopts certain speech patterns in his characters, to get past those sticky word sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

When I learn about people who have overcome their speech disorder, I'm wondering when I'll be able to overcome mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

arold10 wrote: »
    When I learn about people who have overcome their speech disorder, I'm wondering when I'll be able to overcome mine.

I suppose like any other difficulty in life you will overcome it with hard work, perseverance and support, as well as learning various techniques to adapt to your situation that will develop confidence, dispense with anxiety and on to success.
    Honestly, I know people who have overcome all sorts and it's always hard work but with the right friends and support they've done it.

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/managing-your-stuttering-versus-your-stuttering-managing-you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Paul Stamets may not be a household name but is one of the most respected and probably the most famous mycologist in the world, mycology is the study of mushrooms. He has several books one of which was often called "the bible of mushroom growing", he has done those TED talks too.

I found out recently that he had a stammer. Turns out he had an interest in mushrooms due to a stammer, and claims hallucinogenic mushrooms cured it.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/11/paul-stamets-mushroom
    STAMETS IS of medium height and stocky build. His graying beard, round face, and glasses recall Jerry Garcia. As he tells it, mushrooms came into his life because of a humiliating stuttering habit. "I always stared at the ground and couldn't look people in the eye," he recounts. "That's how I found fungi."

He remembers pelting his seven-year-old twin brother with puffball mushrooms, watching the spores explode in his face. But Stamets didn't get serious about mushrooms until he was 18, when he ingested psilocybin mushrooms for the first time. Hallucinating alone in the Ohio countryside, he got caught in a summer thunderstorm and climbed a tree for shelter. Waiting out the storm, Stamets examined his life. "I asked myself, 'Well Paul, why do you stutter so much?' So I repeated, 'Stop stuttering now,' over and over again, hundreds of times. The next morning, someone asked, 'Hi Paul, how are you?' I looked him right in the eye and said, 'I'm fine, how are you?' I didn't even stutter. That was when I realized mushrooms were really important to me."

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/13-mushrooms-clean-up-oil-spills-nuclear-meltdowns-and-human-health
    When the weather calmed, he climbed down and hiked home. On his street, he ran into a neighbor whose attractiveness had always intensified his stammer. “Hi,” she said. “How are you today?”

“Fine, thanks,” he answered, with an ease that astonished him. “And you?”

From that moment, Stamets’ tongue began to come untied, and he devoted himself to learning about the fungi that he credited with the change. With the help of a mushroom-identification book, he found psilocybes growing wherever he looked, and he began to probe the mysteries of other species as well.

Singer Carly Simon had a stammer, I read she used to sing while talking to overcome it. I see an interview with her on Oprah and she seems fine and is not singing her words in any way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Simon
    Simon began stuttering severely when she was eight years old. A psychiatrist tried unsuccessfully to cure her stuttering. Instead, Simon turned to singing and songwriting. "I felt so strangulated talking that I did the natural thing, which is to write songs, because I could sing without stammering, as all stammerers can."

• Advertisement
Advertisement