Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ciarsd wrote: »
    Best here (and I tried) was 6 months half price on my primary tv box and broadband and full price (€11) on my 2nd tv box. So:

Multiroom
    €11 / month no discount.

TV & Broadband
    €37 / month

Total: €48 / month for 6 months

Then €86 / month for final 6 months

12 month contract.

And with that, the first bill has come through and I've been charged full price! That is after talking with loyalty on 2 separate occasions, and the boards team for further confirmation. Keep an eye on this, for anyone with a new renewal deal for the year ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They do this so often it must be company policy to do so.

That must be partly the reason they refuse to put the deals in writing via email. Or deal with customers via email. Customers have no proof of the deal.

beauf wrote: »
    They do this so often it must be company policy to do so.

That must be partly the reason they refuse to put the deals in writing via email. Or deal with customers via email. Customers have no proof of the deal.

I contacted via live chat about them about not having sent a confirmation email. I was told I would have to call loyalty again.

When I complained that I wasn't going through that again, they told me actually it hadn't been applied to my account, but everything was fine. They told me the deal I was moving to (which is what I had agreed). I just emailed myself the chat transcript afterwards, can't see any issues arising.

Basil3 wrote: »
    ...I just emailed myself the chat transcript afterwards, can't see any issues arising.

There are countless posts on boards with people complaining about their billing.
    They aren't interested in an email you sent yourself. Try getting a copy of the recording from them. They make it as hard as possible.

All because they won't do things via an email. So you don't have proof.

There are countless posts on boards with people complaining about their billing.
    They aren't interested in an email you sent yourself. Try getting a copy of the recording from them. They make it as hard as possible.

All because they won't do things via an email. So you don't have proof.

It's using the transcript option from their own live chat. It is sent from Virgin. Would be pretty hard for them to deny that.

• Advertisement

You can certainly try.

It worked with me for phone operator who put on a plan I didn't ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote: »
    12 mth contract though. saved over 200 eur :)

Just got a mail back off Virgin today confirming my order

Your Virgin Media contract lasts a minimum of 12 months (or 18 months with a discounted offer). So we’ll expect a monthly payment from you, in return for providing our services

this is not what was agreed. Need to watch the T&Cs sent to you folks. going to chat them now and will let people know what they say

They send emails now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They send emails now?

If you hold a chat session with one of the representatives- at the close of the chat you have an option to have a transcript of the chat e-mailed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

They send emails now?

Yes
    they sent me an email confirming I had a new deal with them.

I talked to them by chat this morning and was told my contract is 12mths. The email is a generic email that gets sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The "discounted offer" is when you sign up for the first time as a new customer.

Existing customers aren't getting an "offer", we're just getting a "discount", apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

zero19 wrote: »
    Just off the phone with loyalty, currently on 120mb broadband with basic tv and phone was offered half price for 4 months and then 2 months with another 5 off then up to 85 euro a month. I didn't accept that but the guy I was speaking with said that was the best he could offer.

I looked up an offer Eir have before I called, €25 for 6 months for TV, BB and phone going up to €77 after 6 months as well as offering €100 cashback, I had mentioned that I was considering switching hoping for something similar. Might try again later!

Called again just now, got 6 months at €40 going up to €80 thereafter on the basic tv, phone and 240mbps BB bundle, 12 month contract.

Same time again next year I'll be doing something similar I suppose, a right pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I sent them an email last week cancelling my 240mb broadband & phone but I had planned to keep their TV service.
    Got a call today and was offered 6 months at half price on my current package ,the 240Mb Anytime World and Horizon Max TV.
    I declined it & was put on hold & a few minutes & later offered the same package at half price for 9 months.
    I told them I'd think about it but I was cancelling because of the poor Wi-Fi on the technicolor tc7200. They didn't offer to upgrade me to the 360mb.

Nine months at half price is a good offer but I think I'm going to switch to Eir anyway because of the ongoing problems with Netflix which is only on Virgin's broadband service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a reminder yet again to everyone that under the consumer directive when you enter a new agreement online or over the phone you are entitled to a considerable amount of information which the company concerned is legally obliged to give you.
    Consumer information
    Before you are bound by a distance contract the trader must make certain information available to you including:
    • The trader's name and address as well as the address to which to address complaints
    • The main characteristics of the goods or service
    • The price of the goods - including all taxes
    • Delivery costs, where applicable
    • Arrangements for payment
    • The trader’s complaints handling policy
    • Whether a right to cancel exists and the conditions, time limit and procedures for doing so
    • Whether you will bear the costs of returning the goods
    • The estimated cost of returning the goods if you have to bear the cost and they cannot be returned by normal post
    • Conditions of after-sale customer assistance and services, and commercial guarantees
    • The duration of the contract, if applicable, and the conditions for terminating it if it is extended automatically or is of unlimited duration
    • The minimum duration of your obligations under the contract, if applicable
    • The cost of communication between you and the trader, if it is above a basic rate
    Confirmation of contract
    The trader must provide confirmation of the concluded contract to you in a durable format, such as a letter or email. It should include the information mentioned above, if not already supplied in a durable format. It should be provided within a reasonable time after the contract was concluded, and at the latest:

When the goods are being delivered or
    Before a service is provided

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

zero19 wrote: »
    Called again just now, got 6 months at €40 going up to €80 thereafter on the basic tv, phone and 240mbps BB bundle, 12 month contract.

Same time again next year I'll be doing something similar I suppose, a right pain in the arse.

Online chat told me to ring the loyaly team I could squeeze out of them was a total €40 off per month for four months, however they kept mentioning an 18 month contract then agreeing to a 12 month but would not back it up in an email as he said they are not allowed to.

Judging by the stories on here re getting different contracts than what was agreed I think ill ring back today to get a better deal and try get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the phone to them now in Manila. Was on 120mb BB only for 45 a month going up to 50. Got offered the usual four months free, said I still wanted to cancel as a friend got 6 months half price. After a few minutes on hold the 6 month half price offer came and I also got an upgrade to 240mb plus a new modem being sent as I complaied about my speeds- speedtest.net showed me as getting 20mbs upload and download speeds at best.

So now I'm paying 25 for 6 months then 50 for the following 6, which is 450 for the year or 37.50 a month which is decent as I've avoided the 5 euro price increase and got a further discount with a free upgrade. All confirmed for a 12 month contract but I'll be keeping an eye on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I am about to cancel my Virgin account due to the price increase and have arranged to go with Vodafone. Could anyone tell me if I should call and cancel with Virgin immediately (I have three teenagers and a 21 year old who would all loose their reason if they were without bb for any length of time ie. 5 minutes!!). Any help would be appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

not sure but be aware that cancelling needs 30 days notice so perhaps call Vodafone 7-10 days before your 30 days is up so they have enough time to send out their modem to you and you don't end up with no service for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 27 YouNeek

Does anyone have a direct number for customer loyalty?
    The old one (061 272 190) just advises to ring 1908 and hangs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

Thanks for all the previous posters.

I was on 120mb, phone + tv €70 a month increasing to €75 a month.

Just offered 240mb, phone (with more free mins) + tv for €75 a month with first 6 months half price and 2 free months of sky sports.

Chat told me to call 1890 940 251 and that's when I got the offer (previous offers were all 4 months half price)

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »
    Online chat told me to ring the loyaly team I could squeeze out of them was a total €40 off per month for four months, however they kept mentioning an 18 month contract then agreeing to a 12 month but would not back it up in an email as he said they are not allowed to.

Judging by the stories on here re getting different contracts than what was agreed I think ill ring back today to get a better deal and try get it in writing.

That is absolute rubbish! Not allowed to? They are legally required to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

YouNeek wrote: »
    Does anyone have a direct number for customer loyalty?
    The old one (061 272 190) just advises to ring 1908 and hangs up.

Loyalty number, 1890 940 251
    You can also try 1908 and go through option 4.

et101 wrote: »
    I am about to cancel my Virgin account due to the price increase and have arranged to go with Vodafone. Could anyone tell me if I should call and cancel with Virgin immediately (I have three teenagers and a 21 year old who would all loose their reason if they were without bb for any length of time ie. 5 minutes!!). Any help would be appreciated cheers

The only requirement to cancel as per VM's Terms and Conditions is 30 days written notice. In spite of what VM try to foist on people there is absolutely no requirement to ring anybody and you cannot cancel over the phone! the email is cancel@viriginmedia.ie

https://www.virginmedia.ie/terms/terms-and-conditions/

You can cancel your contract by providing one months notice in writing to Virgin Media.
    If the contract is terminated during your minimum period, cancellation charges may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

I only have Broadband + Home Phone. FWIW, here's what I got with three separate calls, TBH I wasn't at all pushy::
    1. Currently have 120Mb/Free Time World @ €39.99 p.m. to go up to €44.99 with price increase = €539.88 p.a.
    2. Offered 6@€35+6@€45 = €480 p.a.
    3. Offered 4@€22.50+8@€45 = €450 p.a.
    4. Offered 4@€20+2@€40+6@€45 = €430 p.a. *ACCEPTED*
    5. Offered upgrade to 240Mb/Anytime World: 4@€25+2@€45+6@€50 = €490 p.a.
    Just wondering if people reckon it's worth an extra €5 p.m. to go from 120Mb/Free Time World to 240Mb/Anytime World? I currently have the Technicolor TC720 modem/router, would this be upgraded? Will I notice the broadband speed increase? Will I notice better Wifi?

After all that haggling it seems a bit daft to then take the upgrade & pay more, albeit with a better(?) service... :confused: What do you think?

Have had a bit of a mess upgrading to 360Mb/s plan with 4 months half price.

Upgraded last Thursday, package with router arrived yesterday. When I opened the package, it sure didn't look like the Virgin Media Hub. Called them up, and was told I had the wrong router, so they would have to do a box swap. Nothing could be done for a few hours though.

Called them back later on, and they said they still couldn't do the box swap. Told them that in the meantime, my internet had stopped working. Was told that I had to connect up the new box for it to work. When I said I didn't want to use it, because I was returning, they said it was not my fault, and to just use it. Was told they would call me back today to arrange the box swap.

Got an email this morning to say that I'm getting a delivery this afternoon, so I assume this is the Media Hub.

Am I the only person that has been sent the wrong router? Would be interested if they do it deliberately, in the hope that users don't know the difference between the different models.

Wheeker wrote: »
    Just wondering if people reckon it's worth an extra €5 p.m. to go from 120Mb/Free Time World to 240Mb/Anytime World? I currently have the Technicolor TC720 modem/router, would this be upgraded? Will I notice the broadband speed increase? Will I notice better Wifi?

After all that haggling it seems a bit daft to then take the upgrade & pay more, albeit with a better(?) service... :confused: What do you think?

You won't get a new router, that one is capable of either of the lower plans. Only the 360Mb/s plan requires a different one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wheeker wrote: »
    I only have Broadband + Home Phone. FWIW, here's what I got with three separate calls, TBH I wasn't at all pushy::
    1. Currently have 120Mb/Free Time World @ €39.99 p.m. to go up to €44.99 with price increase = €539.88 p.a.
    2. Offered 6@€35+6@€45 = €480 p.a.
    3. Offered 4@€22.50+8@€45 = €450 p.a.
    4. Offered 4@€20+2@€40+6@€45 = €430 p.a. *ACCEPTED*
    5. Offered upgrade to 240Mb/Anytime World: 4@€25+2@€45+6@€50 = €490 p.a.

You double your upload speed- if you're doing video conferencing etc- you'll notice the difference big time- other than that- probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

Muahahaha wrote:
    Just on the phone to them now in Manila. Was on 120mb BB only for 45 a month going up to 50. Got offered the usual four months free, said I still wanted to cancel as a friend got 6 months half price. After a few minutes on hold the 6 month half price offer came and I also got an upgrade to 240mb plus a new modem being sent as I complaied about my speeds- speedtest.net showed me as getting 20mbs upload and download speeds at best.

Muahahaha wrote:
    So now I'm paying 25 for 6 months then 50 for the following 6, which is 450 for the year or 37.50 a month which is decent as I've avoided the 5 euro price increase and got a further discount with a free upgrade. All confirmed for a 12 month contract but I'll be keeping an eye on that one.

Is that just broadband or bb and tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

Muahahaha wrote:

Muahahaha wrote:

Is that just broadband or bb and tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Anyone get a 9 month half price offer on a phone & bb package lately?

I'm gonna trying ringing them later on this afternoon.

Advertisement