Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What is this English word/phrase in Irish" thread

• 15-09-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭

What is the Irish name for Lisgoold? And the meaning?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Lios Cúil.
    Lios is a fort or that enclosed space around a dwelling unit.
    It can also mean a fairy-fort.
    'Lios' sites had a lower status than ráth or dún sites.
    Cúil means corner or nook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Lios Cúil.
    Lios is a fort or that enclosed space around a dwelling unit.
    It can also mean a fairy-fort.
    'Lios' sites had a lower status than ráth or dún sites.
    Cúil means corner or nook.

Cheers An gal gréine. I appreciate your help.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_parishes_of_County_Cork

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Hi.

Today I heard someone say on the radio, a word in Irish that means something like 'to lose your mind or out of your mind'. I think it started with an o but I don't recall anymore. Does anyone know the Irish word?

Thanks.

One word?

One word?

Hello again An gal gréine. Yes, I think it was one word.

• Advertisement

As do mheabhair would be the most common way to say it. If I think of a single word I'll get back to you.

As do mheabhair would be the most common way to say it. If I think of a single word I'll get back to you.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

Apart from as do mheabhair, the only other way I can think of is - As do chiall.

Apart from as do mheabhair, the only other way I can think of is - As do chiall.

Hi Snag Darach.

That maybe the word I heard. The radio guy said it like it was one word.

I also just found this thanks to you: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C3%A0s_a_chiall

Cheers.

Hi guys.

In this recent video by Cork City FC, a guy at the end (around 1:43) says "Your City, Your Club" in Irish. What is the exact phrase and spelling?

"Your City, Your Club" by RebelArmyTV:

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Do chathair, do chlub."

An File wrote: »
    "Do chathair, do chlub."

Cheers An File, I appreciate it. :)

Hi guys.

What are the Irish words for these?
    • grand niece | great niece

• grand nephew | great nephew

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grand niece | great niece : garneacht http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/garneacht
    Grand nephew | great nephew: garnia http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/garnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Www.tearma.ie is a great site for translating in irish, it does have some phrases but not all

Rorok wrote: »
    Www.tearma.ie is a great site for translating in irish, it does have some phrases but not all

www.tearma.ie
    www.potafocal.com
    www.teanglann.ie

I'd be lost without these.

Cheers guys.

What is 'tasks' in Irish? I know that task = tasc but what's the plural version. Thanks.

Tascanna.

Tascanna.

Nice one An gal gréine.

• Advertisement

Hi guys. What's the Irish word for 'straight faced'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi guys. What's the Irish word for 'straight faced'?

Réchúiseach.

Rúiseach.

Hi An tUasal C.

So it's the same as 'easy going' & 'unconcerned' which too are rúiseach.

Hi An tUasal C.

No, rúiseach means Russian.

Réchúiseach means unconcerned also.

Hi An tUasal C.

So the Irish for 'easy going' would be?

No, rúiseach means Russian.

Rúiseach means unconcerned also.

In post #24, I mentioned the same word as you in post #23 - Irish words are not appearing correctly for me for some odd reason (explained here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106341905#post106341905 and https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106051014#post106051014).

BTW, thanks for pointing out the Irish word for Russian - that's new to me. :-)

So the Irish for 'easy going' would be?

The same word. :)

The same word. :)

You mean the same as for 'unconcerned'?

You mean the same as for 'unconcerned'?

Once of them, neamhimníoch would mean unconcerned too.

• Advertisement

Once of them, neamhimnh would mean unconcerned too.

Ah yes, the same as 'unworried'.

Advertisement