Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis,FYP and reports!!!!!

• 17-05-2005 7:35pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello

Enlight of a lot of people creating threads on reports and thesis and FYP's i asked Lump to make a sticky concerning these,if there is enough input. What i purpose is helpful links to writing and the layout of the reports as well as the final printing and helpful tips. Please post links.

My link: Mechanical Engineering FYP guidelines 2004 rev 2

Nukem

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I haven't done a final year project yet, so treat this advice with some caution:

The most popular way to type stuff is using Microsoft Word, which is quite advanced and easy to use. However, you will find that page numbers, section headings, and especially illustrations are hard to place in a way that looks good. Not to mention tables of contents or indexes.

I have written a few reports using a system called LaTeX which functions a bit differently to word. Once you get the hand of it, it becomes very easy to use. Figures and Graphs etc look very professional, and it produces PDF and Postscript output. Bibliographies are easy to insert and need no additional software like Word does.

It is also free and will not force you to upgrade as MS sees fit.

LaTeX is generally installed on a lot of UNIX/Linux machines and is freely downloadable for Windows 2000/XP in the form of MikTeX. A very good tutorial is available at http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/andyr/misc/latex/.

Try using it for a lab report or the like to get the hang of it. It's not very beginner-friendly but on a huge document you don't have to worry about numbering breaking half-way through etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have been recently using TeXnicCenter which is a frontend IDE for LaTeX. Makes everything much MUCH easier.

I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

The MLA handbook is generally the standard style guide for academic theses and essays. It's only about 10 euros and available in most bookshops- all the major chains anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

The MRHA site has a good downloadable Style Guide for Theses.
    http://www.mhra.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Deeandra

Although I'm sure the sources people have already given here are more than adequate, I just want to highlight the fact that it's necessary to be very careful when writing a thesis for the particular discipline you are studying.

I'm currently putting my thesis together and as I'm studying Psychology I need to abide by the American Psychological Associations guidelines at all times.

I have very strict rules to follow in things like font, font size, spacing, layout, referencing etc.

So just double check that there isnt similar guidelines for your course before writing it up.

Also, if anyone could help me by taking a questionnaire for my thesis, I'd really appreciate it. Everything you need to know is explained in the following link, along with the actual questionnaire itself :) ...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=967663207312

Thanks xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

also something people should remain aware of is that your final year project should reflect your course and course content (this goes ten fold for IT) so remember to meet your supervisor regularily :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NUIMaynooth

I agree with doodee, meeting with your supervisor regularly is very important, I've been told you supervisor should be sick of the sight of you by the time you hand your thesis in :D I'm also doing a poll on urban sprawl in the Dublin area, I've posted the link below. All answers are confidential. Feel free to pass the link on to others.

Thanking you!

Link removed and user banned. Unlucky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had in on boards earlier and it was pulled down because it was classed as 'spam':eek:

Why post it again then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NUIMaynooth

What's good enough for "deeandra" is good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Yes, but she didn't start 6 threads for the same topic in as many minutes.

Gordon, unleash the hounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Unleashing..

NUIMaynooth, I banned your previous account for spamming your poll/link/whatever on boards. It was spam FYI, I know you don't think it is, but we do.

Don't do it again and you can be free to post on boards, post your link again on this site and I'm going to make sure you won't come back.

If you have any questions please PM me, don't reply here and drag it off-topic like you did earlier. OK? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

is there anywhere in town that would do a hard back binding on a saturday?
    helllp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Galway Girl, I'll assume you aren't affilated with that company?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GarnaPara

"Write my thesis" opens doors to academic success at paper writer. With a 98% success rate, our diverse team of skilled authors handles tasks in subjects like nursing, literature, computer science, and more. https://paperwriter.com/write-my-thesis Our mission is to support your academic journey with caring assistance. Request help, stay connected with your expert, and enjoy a stress-free path to excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Sure thing Ganky Poo

Advertisement