Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kolrus - The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

This was probably my favourite category but could also be the most controversial. We might need added security here tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Kolido wrote: »
    This was probably my favourite category but could also be the most controversial. We might need added security here tonight

Its all gonna kick off, the westlife fans keep taunting those with superior taste in music....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:

Topping Fatboy Slim in last place...

Riot squad probably necessary never mind security :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does a man whore have a wooden handle though?

Wait, don't answer that! :o
    :eek:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2F66.media.tumblr.com%2F2fa8da9dc1e6c76e5a43485a46c25515%2Ftumblr_paiozuJb9H1v9u7f8o1_400.gifv&f=1&nofb=1

556599.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FSimplisticPowerfulBellfrog-max-1mb.gif&f=1&nofb=1

In 15th place with 4 points is
    EN, Shelly

Ednaswap - Torn

Heard the artist: No
    Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

Again, a song I knew was covered but not sure if I heard this version. It is not the original version of the song but the first English version. Difficult to review this without comparing it to the Natalie version which I love. I hate the guitar sound in this song. The vocal key changes in the cover are not all here which is also kind of distracting. If this was the only version of this song I definitely would not be a fan of it. I just don’t like the sound from this band. I gave this an average rating because I like the song but not this version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tenor.gif

This is the original, they wrote it. The other (Danish?) version was the first released, but it was a cover of this

And this is better than Natalie Imbruglia ;)
    It's a sad song, it deserves rough music, not some upbeat lightweight pop number

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

In 15th place with 4 points is
    EN, Shelly

Ednaswap - Torn

Review

Again, a song I knew was covered but not sure if I heard this version. It is not the original version of the song but the first English version. Difficult to review this without comparing it to the Natalie version which I love. I hate the guitar sound in this song. The vocal key changes in the cover are not all here which is also kind of distracting. If this was the only version of this song I definitely would not be a fan of it. I just don’t like the sound from this band. I gave this an average rating because I like the song but not this version.

Wow! I thought NI's version was the one and only!!! Who knew? Every day's a learning day!

In 14th place with 5 points is
    Purple

Peter La Farge - Ballad of Ira Hayes

Review

Nominating a folk song to my walrus, what were you thinking. Never heard this song before and I’m not surprised. I read that Johnny Cash covered it, but I'm not a fan of his. I mean, I kept listening to this and I started to find myself liking it and at that point I knew I had to stop. It is not so much the song though, I just don’t like this genre of music. That song is actually okay so I have not given it the worst rating. Nope, you got it all wrong here unfortunately.

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Guess what EN?
    That would have scored well with me!
    :pac:

Guess what EN?
    That would have scored well with me!
    :pac:
    Ha ha, of course :D
    You know I'm going to mess yours up now though!

I also suspect you'll have nominated my second pick now ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

S'alright EN, we will always have Necrus 3 ;)

In 13th place with 6 points is
    Beaker

Prince - Nothing compares to you

Heard the artist: Yes
    Heard the song: Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGA0azFdCs

Review

I can’t unhear the Sinead’s version of this song. What does that mean for Prince’s version? Musically this sounds really good. However, this is a pretty terrible version overall. The whoo..ooh..oohh between each line is distracting. No passion in the vocals compared to Sinead. I just cannot listen to this without hearing the more well known version which is one of the best songs ever. It is like chalk and cheese to be honest. Oh wait, the sax is kicking in, that's nice. Ok it gets a bit dramatic in the second half, deserves another point for that. To summarize, I really wanted to like this but it is not a patch on Sinead’s version and it is so difficult to not compare it. Too many things annoy me about it but it does have a few nice things. Not a good pick unfortunately.

Necro wrote: »
    S'alright EN, we will always have Necrus 3 ;)
    tenor.gif

:p

In 12th place with 7 points is
    Aris

Aerosmith-Walk This Way

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

I like this song, probably the original more than the cover with Run DMC, however I think it is vastly overrated. I do love the little drum beat here and the guitar riff, not too gone on the vocal. Aerosmith is a tricky one with me, very hit and miss. This song is just average and I know I’m the minority here. I do love the promo video for the cover if that is any consolation. Famous song but average pick for me.

In 11th place with 8 points is
    Ari

Steve Winwood - Valerie

Review

Not sure who covered this, Steve released a new version himself a few years after the original release then it was sampled in some dance track. The song itself is good but I wouldn’t say great. A catchy chorus and that 80s sound make it an easy listen. I did go and listen to the 87 release, I think it is much better. Got that nice drum beat and it just stands out much better. A few more listens and this song is sounding better. I’m sure I heard it in some 80s movie but can’t place it. A decent pick but competition is tough in Kolrus.

Poor EN, someone throw in the towel, this is like Creed v Drago :o

Oh I adore that Steve Winwood song. Takes me right back...

Didn't Amy Winehouse cover it?

In 10th place with 9 points is
    Sinead

Disturbed - Down with sickness

Review

Yep, not bad. Haven’t heard much Disturbed but they do sound pretty good. Great vocals and heavy guitars, like it. Don’t really get the strange sounds he makes near the beginning of the song. The guy can sing though. It is a good song but I would hope these guys have better stuff and I will check out some more of them. I did try to find who covered this but can’t find who. Anyone know? Decent pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Mid table is fine with me :D Call on Me was a partial cover/sample - after the massive debate about when a cover is a real cover during the tournament recently, I wasn't sure it would be enough of a copy to be considered a cover though, and was fearing a worse score for not meeting the brief properly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Oh I adore that Steve Winwood song. Takes me right back...

Didn't Amy Winehouse cover it?

That is a cover but of a different Valerie song :D

In 9th place with 10 points is
    Liz

Dolly Parton - I will always Love You

Review

Good song but I prefer the Whitney version, there, I said it. This is too country sounding for me and you know I don’t do country. I read that Dolly wrote the song so that is an achievement in itself, if she needed any more. Dolly is great, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, this song did not score higher for me. So, a good song but not the version I prefer unfortunately but a decent pick.

I prefer the Whitney version.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

ari101 wrote: »
    Call on Me was a partial cover/sample - after the massive debate about when a cover is a real cover during the tournament recently, I wasn't sure it would be enough of a copy to be considered a cover though, and was fearing a worse score for not meeting the brief properly :pac:
    I loved that video when it came out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This statement and the write-ups so far do not compute... :pac:

This statement and the write-ups so far do not compute... :pac:

Wait, we are getting to the good stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 9th place with 10 points is
    Liz

Dolly Parton - I will always Love You

Review

Good song but I prefer the Whitney version, there, I said it. This is too country sounding for me and you know I don’t do country. I read that Dolly wrote the song so that is an achievement in itself, if she needed any more. Dolly is great, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, this song did not score higher for me. So, a good song but not the version I prefer unfortunately but a decent pick.

I'm the biggest Dolly fan, and I would agree 100% with this. Whitney's version is the classic imo.

In 8th place with 11 points is
    Barna

P.P. Arnold - The First Cut Is The Deepest

Review

I’m not sure if I heard this version before. I’m familiar with the Rod Stewart and Sherly Crow versions. Few positives and negatives for this song. Firstly, it’s a good song but I wouldn’t say great. It has however gone up the rankings the more I listened to it and I have found a new appreciation for this song. I have probably listened to this song more than any other in this round trying to make my mind up about it. I will say, I do prefer the arrangement of the Rod and Sherly version, it is more slower which I think suits the song better. But positively, I really like P.P.s voice and I love the instruments in this version. Musically it is superior. A really though song for me to rate, this could easily be a 4 star but it got 3 here. A good pick that could have been a great pick on another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

cee_jay wrote: »
    I'm the biggest Dolly fan, and I would agree 100% with this. Whitney's version is the classic imo.

giphy.gif

Advertisement