Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speech Therapist for stammer

• 21-09-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My daughter (3 in January 2013) has developed a stammer over the past few months and would like to get an opinion from a private therapist rather than wait for months on the waiting list for public.

Not that it is going to matter in the slightest whether I do or do not go for it, but how much would I expect to pay for a typical session? I know it would vary in on average..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Nothing??? Come on... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

I would estimate about 80 euros per session maybe less if it's half an hour or more if it's an hour. Be sure to get a speech therapist is experienced with children who stammer. Get in touch with your local health centre as well, ring and ask to speak to a speech therapist, they usually try to prioritise a first appointment, make it clear to them how urgent you think it is. If you have health insurance speech therapy might be covered on that for part payment.
    This is the private speech therapists website:

http://www.iasltpp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ashleyrush

i find it hard to pernouce d's and th's ? any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Go to see Jonathan Linklater at speechmatters.ie.
    He specalises in Stammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I stammer. I've done the therapy - Trinity do some free ones with students. helped a bit.

What I would say is, there are hidden benefits - I have issues with 'Ds' and hard sounds. But I can solve every crossword puzzle as I know every synonym known to man. I also find that introducing myself in meetings, I lead in with 'and last, but not least I am...' (means you sit at the end of the table).

Bizarrely enough one therapist told me it is related to your menstrual cycle and you know, I'm coming around to that way of thinking - when your brain is racing faster PMT, your words don't come out as well.

I see my two best friends pretty much every day, and neither of them for the past 20 years had picked up on it - you develop a much better vocabulary. It's really only my parents who pick up on it.

I bite my nails and scrape my hair behind my ears - convinced they're all related.

The one time I don't stammer is speaking in public - weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Would you have a recommendation for a speech therapist for my 4 year old child? I live in the blanchardstown area?[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]many thanks [/font]

Advertisement