Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unable to get contracts from vendor

Options
  • 07-02-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not having the best run of it recently in the property market.

We went sale agreed on a house 3 weeks ago, after deciding against another one we had looked at.

We had surveyor and valuation all done in week 1, bank had send all info to our solicitor.

EA said week one contracts being drawn up, we had some queries about the house which he said he would discuss with vendor..... nothing back.

Week 2 came, contacted EA said unable to contact vendor but their solicitor have sent contracts to our solicitor. I rang our solicitor and nothing.... not a thing from them. I rang EA to inform him of this and he said oh yeah he spoke to my solicitor and it’s all sorted just small hitch, so I said ok.

A few days later my solicitor rang me to say still nothing so I asked did he speak to the EA as reported by EA that he did, solicitor said he heard nothing at all!

EA then started ignoring my emails and calls.

Week 3 finally got talking to EA, said vendor was away on extended holidays and will try call them, again few days passed and nothing.... so I rang today and asked what’s going on, EA said wait I’ll check emails... then said oh missed call from the vendor I’ll try ring them back.. and get back to me asap!

He later sends email saying unable to contact them and will revert ASAP! I’m thinking something isn’t right here, surely this isn’t normal?

The contracts were never posted and out solicitor hasn’t been contacted at all as reported by EA!

Should we just ask for our deposit back now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No need to ask for the deposit back at this stage but keep looking and go for your alternate if things don't start moving. You've no way of knowing what's going on with the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we are back looking as of today, this property searching is seriously stressful and frustrating!

Back to the open viewings again this Saturday by the looks of it.
    No need to ask for the deposit back at this stage but keep looking and go for your alternate if things don't start moving. You've no way of knowing what's going on with the vendor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It often takes weeks to get contracts. The deeds may have to obtained from a bank or approval may be needed from a bank for the sale. It can also be the case that the vendor is hoping for another higher offer, or is now househunting themselves, and is stringing you out. It ain't over till it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Flatwhite

You sound desperate to be honest. Contracts could easily take a few weeks to draw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

bri007 wrote:
    He later sends email saying unable to contact them and will revert ASAP! I’m thinking something isn’t right here, surely this isn’t normal?

Very normal. EAs are not very trustworthy in my experience, all smiles and waffle to keep you on the long finger. We went sale agreed in Nov 17 and contracts came through in Jan 18, closing date finally agreed in March 18. We had the added complication of a sitting tenant who challenged their notice, but it's standard for these things to take a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks, I’m probably just over anxious as we had problems with previous house we went sale agreed on and just over thinking it now maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

bri007 wrote:
    Thanks, I’m probably just over anxious as we had problems with previous house we went sale agreed on and just over thinking it now maybe.

It is the most stressful and unnerving time, and I personally found it more stressful being told to continue with viewings. I get where people are coming from, and no house is yours until you've got the keys, but the idea of being sale agreed on more than one house at once is just too much for me.

I wouldn't say you're overthinking it, just naturally stressed by a huge life event that means a lot to you. Just try to bear in mind that this period is normal, and hope for the best. If it's not meant to be then so be it.

Advertisement