Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gazumpted

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Doop wrote: »
    Delighted for you...
    Part of me feels like you should of lowered your offer to 'punish' the seller for gazumping you in the first place. But anyway least ye got the outcome you wanted.

I would agree with this

if you were in a bidding war with this underbidder how much did the bidding war increase the price.

Lets say initial offer was 500k and you've been bidding with this one guy for two weeks and the price has gone from 500k to 50k.

You are 50k out from a guy that wasn't willing to put his cheque book where his mouth was.

If it was just you and him in the bidding your original offer may have been accepted if it wasnt for this guy.

Its worth noting that he may as well have been a fake bidder as he wasn't willing to follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Beanie5 wrote: »
    Turns out the other buyers had no means to back up their bid...we are now sale agreed with our original offer!
    Good for you!
    (seems the agent wanted you to up your bid based on a counter offer that was never really valid, they never checked valid, or maybe never really existed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    when i bought my house in 2007 , i already lived in the estate so knew the neighbours etc

i put in a solid offer with ea , approved mortgage etc

ea came back saying seller refused it

2 weeks later , seller herself came to my dads business asking was he x's dad and was i looking at a house in x estate

my dad said yep , gave her my number

we did a private sale and the ea never even gave her my offer at all , sneaky witch just wanting more money
    Or a more likely scenario is.
    EA approaches the seller with your solid offer.
    The seller seeing an opportunity to cut out the middle man refused your offer via the EA.
    Then take the contract away from the EA.
    Wait a suitable period.
    Approach your father to make contact.

Saving themselves the EA fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I would have offered a bit less than your previous offer for the inconvenience.

Congrats on getting the house though, I’d say it’s a relief to finally know it’s yours.
    Turns out the other buyers had no means to back up their bid...we are now sale agreed with our original offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

In my experience, an EA will only give preference to a 'chain' bidder if the chain is also affecting other houses they are selling.

Well done OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Borana

bri007 wrote: »
    I would have offered a bit less than your previous offer for the inconvenience.

Congrats on getting the house though, I’d say it’s a relief to finally know it’s yours.

I could not agree more with bri007's point. Another thing you could do is to have the house inspected for any repair/upgrade that may be needed for you to live in there comfortably. If anything is found, then you could still accept your original offer's terms but introduce those repairs/maintenance issues as an additional cost and ask to deduct them from the lump sum as a way for them to express their apology for the inconvenience. One way or another congratulations on being a home owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Thanks everyone! We managed to get all contents included instead of bringing down the price, so we were happy enough with that.

We came across the other bidders in the process too. They did genuinely want to buy eventually, but just weren't upfront about how long it would take them to get funds - or mortgage approval for that matter. Either way, were just delighted it's finally looking good!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

At the end of the day you got the house you wanted at a price you wanted to pay.

No point being vindictive and throwing more spanners and complications in the works by trying to reduce your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks everyone! We managed to get all contents included instead of bringing down the price, so we were happy enough with that.
    Get it in writing, and do a walk around with video recording on your phone, so should anything be missing, you have proof it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

How much did the bidder with no funds rise the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Get in.

Great news OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just curious, how did you come to know the other party were not mortgage approved? Did the estate agent reveal that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just curious, how did you come to know the other party were not mortgage approved? Did the estate agent reveal that?

I'm sure they would have after they had to go back to the OP to see if offer still stood because deal fell through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We came across the other bidders in the process too. They did genuinely want to buy eventually, but just weren't upfront about how long it would take them to get funds - or mortgage approval for that matter. Either way, were just delighted it's finally looking good!!

They had no business bidding on the house all they did was drive up the price for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

They had no business bidding on the house all they did was drive up the price for you.

Exactly - it seems to happen alot. The house I bought was defo driven up due to this and the exact same thing happened where it fell threw with other bidders after been gazumpted. EA came back to me where I offered 10k less but ended up negotiating it at 5k which was still probably over price at time due to other bidders(if they even existed) but like OP , I got the place I wanted eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Originally Posted by Beanie5
    the_syco wrote: »
    Get it in writing, and do a walk around with video recording on your phone, so should anything be missing, you have proof it was there.
    I agree , It might be worth looking that 'Gift-horse' in the mouth,Beanie5

Advertisement