Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 26th: Snow for some, miniature flags for others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shamrock 911 picking up moderate icing in the hold at knock. Now heading out west to try an approach on runway 09.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heavy icy rain here now (in south Dublin). 4.0c atm.

Meanwhile....

Heavy snow at the gates to Kippure about half an hour ago.

C27A7494B6264957A090C98B9BF445E3-0000335757-0003709041-00640L-121ED000CD1743D58512521937B2FB11.jpg

D9B2E9568F2F471D95B2F9CFD5FB7FA7-0000335757-0003709040-00640L-8882A0BBCD0148F7B7D33918396B359A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some sleet mixed with moderate rain here in north Dublin though most wouldn't notice the difference really. 3.4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Tepm 5c
    DP 3c

Both are up by 1c in the last 90 mins. I suspevt the may be my weather station setup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

were in the mild sector now, the colder air should make it's way down across the country over next few hours, maybe some snow before it clears?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

Not feeling confident now that there will be snow for the vast majority of the population or even the vast majority of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A balmy 10.6c in Waterford :)
    Doesnt feel it mind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Up to 6.1 here with a 5.5 DP . I'd say its back to rain on the Wicklow mountains at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We have brief heavy snowfall in Longford circa 10am, rain ever since but the rain turning into sleet again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Still no sign of any hopeful dewpoints on the horizon, and the main rain will have well cleared before the cold arrives. Forget today, look to tomorrow.

332757.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Dewpoint

Hi all first time poster, here are my local stats if its of any interest to you.

Temp 5.8 here and falling.
    Dewpoint 5.1 and has bein rising throughout the morning.
    rainfall moderate, 4.5mm in the last hour. but sadly its just rain. (my proximity to the sea and altitude greatly reduce my chances of seeing the white stuff)

Dewpoints are hampering are chances.

The warm sector has a narrow steep thermal gradient. Whilst I don't hold out much hope myself as the center passes dew points and temperatures fall back quite quickly. Probably not enough though (for low lying areas).

Sorry posted that twice.

Temp risen to 6.1 now and Dewpoint up to 5.7.

My posts wont edit if theirs any mods around. when I click edit I jus get a blank page.

Welcome to the Weather Forum - PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Was driving up the Dublin mountains a couple of hours ago....heavy wet snow for a while and sticking but then the temperature started to rise steadily and it turned back to rain...I suspect it is still snowing in Sally Gap though.

Temparture around 3/4 degrees in Dublin but apparently it is 10/11 degrees in parts of the South...big difference....however you really need an east or north-east wind for any meaningful snow

Was driving up the Dublin mountains a couple of hours ago....heavy wet snow for a while and sticking but then the temperature started to rise steadily and it turned back to rain...I suspect it is still snowing in Sally Gap though.

Temparture around 3/4 degrees in Dublin but apparently it is 10/11 degrees in parts of the South...big difference....however you really need an east or north-east wind for any meaningful snow

Im in Dublin and temps are 6.5. higher than expected me thinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

totally true, anything other than a north-easterly or easterly is usually a waste of time for most people in Ireland. When there is precipitation it's usually marginal and we're usually in the mild sector and then when it's finally cold enough to snow there is clear skies with showers not making it much past the west and north facing coasts. Somtimes an atlantic based cold spell can deliver to more areas but these are very few and far between.

Gonzo wrote: »
    totally true, anything other than a north-easterly or easterly is usually a waste of time for most people in Ireland. When there is precipitation it's usually marginal and we're usually in the mild sector and then when it's finally cold enough to snow there is clear skies with showers not making it much past the west and north facing coasts.

Exactly, any snow that does fall from polar maritime air (north westerly air flow) is usually wet slushy stuff dats gone in an hour or so. The air is to moist.

11.7mm of rain for my location so far today and still raining, such a pity it wasn't snow. quite a lot of precipitation from this front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

We had a couple of inches of wet snow, it has been raining on and off since and a lot has melted into slop. Currently 0.7C. Dp.-1.2, a few ramdom stray flakes in the last few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dewpoint wrote: »
    11.7mm of rain for my location so far today and still raining, such a pity it wasn't snow. quite a lot of precipitation from this front.

Great to have you aboard DEWPOINT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The 12z gfs looks good for tomorrow night looks good and gfs p even better. See.... gfs-2-30woo4_mini.png

The snow is getting going now in the UK midlands. Didn't take long to turn. Significant snow for some there.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

The snow is getting going now in the UK midlands. Didn't take long to turn. Significant snow for some there.

Not one bit envious :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

So after all our talk in the other threads and all the hype we are ending up with another flop
    Doubt there'll be much to talk about tomorrow,it looks well dry in the east anyway

This truly if it continues like this is going to turn into a winter of discontent

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Just back from a drive round wicklow mountains. Very little wet snow, rain in most parts and was 2 degrees and raining at sally gap. Looked like little snow before i got there but that was quickly disappearing with the rain.

unfortunately we've been here so many, many times before. It's nearly always too marginal for us and just right for central and eastern UK. Such is the joy of being a smallish island in the Atlantic Ocean!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So after all our talk in the other threads and all the hype we are ending up with another flop
    Doubt there'll be much to talk about tomorrow,it looks well dry in the east anyway

This truly if it continues like this is going to turn into a winter of discontent

how is it flop? we are all seasoned enough to know that in these scenarios it usually goes wrong for us while England gains .

we need to move on from the events of December 2010, it was wondrous, amazing, whatever adjectives you wish to use, but events like that are extremely rare - for us we usually do no better than northern topplers in a typical irish winter, some years we don't even get any snow. if you are expecting a prolonged cold out break with winds from the northeast anytime soon, you are very likely going to be disappointed. i say this because there is a lot of hopcasting over on netweather about the stratosphere changing the current pattern, but those who analyse more soberly, like the uk met office,see no strong signal for this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

In fairness with the exception of the Scottish highlands, Ireland and majority of the uk are pants for snow.

I need to move back to Scandinavia, those were the days. I guarantee whatever falls in Ireland and the uk will have melted by tomorrow.

If only 2010 was the norm :-(

Advertisement