Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Last November we had heavy rain, but my barn never got flooded by rain water rushing down the hills to flood the people who live in water friendly holes.....
    The rain was so heavy this morning that the drain burst it's banks and some entered the barn, ok lucky there is nothing there that it can damage.

One would have thought it would have happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Still raining heavily in Cork. Carrigaline / Crosshaven road, and around are badly flooded. Great craíc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Very dark and very wet with occasional torrential bursts of rain - no sign of flooding just yet....

10.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The big lump of cloud currently covering over half the country(met eireann's radar) is very slow moving,wont be surprised if there's decent sized floods in places this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I hear some of the roads around Kilkenny county are currently flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp has taken a massive dive in the last 30 mins from 14.1c to 9.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was very heavy rain at around 9-11 this morning. It has been lighter ever since. It certainly seems we missed the worst of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Rainfall forecast for 3pm today
    3hr_rain_6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

templast24hrs.png

More dramatic temp change!!! Still raining here but not near as heavy . . .

Still tipping it down here - 10mm in the last couple of hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

Look at the line between 8/9 degrees and 14/15 degrees at the east coast where the front is passing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

So dark that the street lights have been on all day so far....... Real duvet day.

The wind has picked up here markedly in the last hour from a dead calm at midday to near gale force now! The rain has eased a little bit and the temperature has shot up to 14C :)

Really strange day here according to my weather station - since 11am I've recorded 19mm of rain, which is not unexpected.

However, at midday, the temperature jumped from 10.6 to 12C in 5 minutes, then slowly dropped back to 10.1 C at 1.15pm. Then it shot up again to 14C at 1.30pm, and just now it has dropped back 3 degrees to 10.4C in a matter of minutes. The rain has been relentless throughout, but the wind suddenly picked up from near calm conditions to near-gale at about 2pm.

Torrential rain falling just now - the heaviest I've seen all day - almost tropical intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Today in Galway has been like a monsoon with torrential rain very bad floods on the roads and traffic jams from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Today in Galway has been like a monsoon with torrential rain very bad floods on the roads and traffic jams from hell.

And that's different from every other day because......????:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snowjon wrote: »
    However, at midday, the temperature jumped from 10.6 to 12C in 5 minutes, then slowly dropped back to 10.1 C at 1.15pm. Then it shot up again to 14C at 1.30pm, and just now it has dropped back 3 degrees to 10.4C in a matter of minutes. The rain has been relentless throughout, but the wind suddenly picked up from near calm conditions to near-gale at about 2pm.

The front was obviously 'waving' over you.

It was very clear when front moved through here. 14.3c at 2pm - by 3pm it was 9.3c! 8.0c atm. 18mm of rain here since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Just stopped raining here in wicklow about 30 minutes ago,
    8.4c at the moment and 23.7mm of rain since midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sky looks pretty clear in south dublin, suns out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Some really really heavy showers here today. Wind calm for now. pity my rain gauge is not working! :( would love to know how much has fallen today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sun is out

Still raining here - 24.2mm so far -nearly an inch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Rain/hail here for past half hour. No end to it even though radar says it should be light in nature

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Rain/hail here for past half hour. No end to it even though radar says it should be light in nature

I was about 9/10 miles north west of you and came on the check the rainfall radar as the rain/hail was so heavy. We drove home, luckily only about 5 mins drive and we could hardly see the road. The radar certainly doesnt reflect what was coming out of the sky. There are signs of some serious flooding already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

just checking some of the met stations before bed

Cork got 22.3mm and belmullet only got 3.0mm

They are not all up yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

24hr precipitation up to midnight last night.

24 hours amount precipitation. 10/30/2010 at 00:00 UTC
    (14 of 14 stations)

1 Roches Point (Ireland) 36.0 mm
    2 Cork Airport (Ireland) 22.1 mm
    3 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 21.8 mm
    4 Mullingar (Ireland) 18.6 mm
    5 Gurteen (Ireland) 18.0 mm
    6 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 14.6 mm
    7 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 13.0 mm
    8 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 12.4 mm
    9 Claremorris (Ireland) 11.0 mm
    10 Malin Head (Ireland) 10.0 mm
    11 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 9.1 mm
    12 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 9.0 mm
    13 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 7.0 mm
    14 Belmullet (Ireland) 3.3 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Going to a christening in Dungarven (Waterford) today. I hope this evening's rain isn't of the flooding sort. I hate driving in rain since I drowned my car a couple of years ago. Is it due to be bad later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Su Campu wrote: »
    24hr precipitation up to midnight last night.

24 hours amount precipitation. 10/30/2010 at 00:00 UTC
    (14 of 14 stations)

1 Roches Point (Ireland) 36.0 mm

And my final was 35mm, for the same period. Not too bad a match methinks. Now if my wind would conform more ... ')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Going to a christening in Dungarven (Waterford) today. I hope this evening's rain isn't of the flooding sort. I hate driving in rain since I drowned my car a couple of years ago. Is it due to be bad later?

The latest TAF for Cork Airport has light rain arriving from around 9pm, getting heavier after midnight, but it shouldn't be heavy enough to cause a problem, apart from slippy roads (fallen leaves).

TAF EICK 301100Z 3012/3112 12008KT 9999 SCT020 BECMG 3020/3023 07015KT 5000 -RA BKN006 TEMPO 3023/3112 05015G27KT 2000 RA SCT001 BKN002=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

RTE TV forecast tonight warned that up to 25mm could fall between midnight and tomorrow evening over parts of the south (and particularly the southeast).

GFS latest rainfall forecast between midnight tonight and 9pm tomorrow:

anim_41f1bbde-def7-f1e4-9941-8fbe12f76009.gif

There is still a lot of uncertainty though on exact postiioning and intensity of this feature over Ireland from the broad stream of models but might be worth keeping an eye on.

Advertisement