Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundations new build wire mesh corrosion

• 21-07-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, looking for some advice .

New foundations have been dug and poured and iv discovered that double layer of mesh top and bottom is touching side walls of trench in places . The bottom layer mesh is supported by bricks keeping off bottom of trench in foundation.

Iv been told that because mesh is touching side walls in spots corrosion will take place and cause cracks in concrete due to exspansion from corrosion of metal .

Are cracks due to corrosion guaranteed or is it that corrosion may crack foundations .

What options have I going forward .

I'm thinking my only option is to dig up foundations and start again .

Any adivce please I'm up walls with worry if I carry on with build and foundations may fail in years to come .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who is certifying the works?
    Have they inspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

there should always be adequate concrete cover around the mesh as this starves the steel of oxygen and prevents corrosion which requires oxygen hence bricks under mesh is not a great idea either and mesh touching trench sides definitely not a good idea. someone more experienced might have a view as to whether it really compromises the integrity of the concrete. to be hitting the sides of the trench is shoddy

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont allow bricks under mesh

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Newbie 19

kceire wrote: »
    Who is certifying the works?
    Have they inspected?

Not yet ,Engineer will be inspecting

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Newbie 19 wrote: »
    Not yet ,Engineer will be inspecting

What’s the point at this stage if they’re already poured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What’s the point at this stage if they’re already poured?

Well if he is unhappy, its just a question of the size of the breaker.

I was unhappy some time ago in the UK with a concrete pour.
    5 double flights of stairs came out.
    Point being: nobody will put their PI on the line for turning a blind eye to bad workmanship

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Well if he is unhappy, its just a question of the size of the breaker.

I was unhappy some time ago in the UK with a concrete pour.
    5 double flights of stairs came out.
    Point being: nobody will put their PI on the line for turning a blind eye to bad workmanship

Absolutely. That’s my point. No point wasting an inspection on this nonsense. Just get the breaker in.

I’m a structural engineer myself and it boils my blood when I get a phonecall saying “we poured last Saturday.. When can you come out to look at it?!” Maybe your engineer’s xray goggles are better than mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Absolutely. That’s my point. No point wasting an inspection on this nonsense. Just get the breaker in.

I’m a structural engineer myself and it boils my blood when I get a phonecall saying “we poured last Saturday.. When can you come out to look at it?!” Maybe your engineer’s xray goggles are better than mine..
    Sorry, mis-understood your comment :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Newbie 19 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice .
    The bottom layer mesh is supported by bricks keeping off bottom of trench in foundation.

Are they bricks or mars bars?

Advertisement