Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

lensman wrote: »
    Here's an interesting posts a few pages back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76478112&postcount=95
    If it's true greyhound didn't actually have the money to bid in the first place & got the DCC bin collection gig on a kind of (buy now pay later) deal, so greyhound need us all pay our €100 yearly charge up front so they have the money to honour the deal.....I would suspect greyhound covered the arse in a get out clause, ie: if they don't collect enough money up front they can back out of the deal.

And if they don't get enough money to cover the deal, what happens with everyone who has paid up front and then is left with no service??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Emma1980 wrote: »
    And if they don't get enough money to cover the deal, what happens with everyone who has paid up front and then is left with no service??!!
    DCC will have to take back the collection, the truth is that many of the guys at the top & on big money don't know what the F*** they are doing, let face it.

yeah i'm sure dcc will take back the service and no doubt still charge their standing charge in effect double charging everyone!

i'll be interested to see how my account with greyhound will look once the final bill from dcc is issued - if that is on it in the next week or so before i pay the greyhound standing charge, i'll be looking at having to pay approx 160euro before i get a bin collected!!

From DCC FAQs

18. Q. I’m an existing customer with Dublin City Council. Will I get a bill in January?
    A. Yes, you will receive a bill to cover the period 1st October 2011 to the 16th January 2012. The bill will be issued by Greyhound Recycling and Recovery who will be collecting outstanding monies on behalf of Dublin City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

irishbird wrote: »
    i cannot believe that no other company services finglas. was on to OZO and will be in the next couple of months but they havent got a date yet.

my friend works in the waste industry and they reckon greyhound is up to their eyes in debt and need this upfront money to keep the company afloat

Ditto - I've been stunned by the discovery that no other company services Finglas. I've emailed Greenstar to let them know they can have my business if/when they expand, which they might do. In the meantime I'm going to sort out my own waste - luckily I live alone so it'll be easier to manage than for those with a full house and I've been reducing my waste steadily (compost bin, buying less packaging, making sure to eat all my food instead of throwing it out etc) for the last long while so a few fires in the open fire and cycle trips to the recycling centre will be in order.

I had been thinking of doing this before I read this thread, but since reading this thread I'm convinced it's the solution for me. Being forced into a Greyhound-coloured corner with no other service providers to choose from brings my stubborn streak to the fore. I'm looking forward to the challenge ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

david75 wrote: »
    bins werent collected today in dublin 7 and a lot of them now have red warning stickers on them from DCC. Not sure what they say though i was driving past.

They better not be fining people for leaving out their bins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

January wrote: »
    They better not be fining people for leaving out their bins!

funny ye say that.

left my recycle bag out before christmas.
    got a fine in the door three weeks later saying the bag had been left on the street with a rejection sticker on it from greyhound saying there was glass in it(not possible-we recycle our glass seperately.)

here's the kicker.

the bag was left about 150 feet away from our house and actually around the corner.

Fine is for 75 euro and it was sent with a picture of the bag on the street.

im leaving it to go to court and taking pictures of the distance between my house and where it was left. I couldnt possibly have seen it down that street as its a lane leading into a school and ive no reason to be going in there not having kids and it being a dead end , plus how could i know it was my bag thatd been left on the street or what was put into it subsequently?

thoughts?

lord mayor of dublin has given dcc 24hrs to respond to the fiasco.....hope i got that right :O certainly wont be paying anything for the moment!

Update: I've just got home (Finglas) and my black bin was emptied (presumably by Greyhound) today and I haven't registered with them or paid any money. Remains to be seen if they collect the green bin next week, but if they collected the black one it's likely they'll collect the green one. So, for those that have just received letters, I'd say put out whichever bin the calender that came with the letter states is to be put out and it should be emptied even if you haven't paid them anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    making sure to eat all my food instead of throwing it out

Very laudable, but be careful not to use your body as a bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

david75 wrote: »
    funny ye say that.

left my recycle bag out before christmas.
    got a fine in the door three weeks later saying the bag had been left on the street with a rejection sticker on it from greyhound saying there was glass in it(not possible-we recycle our glass seperately.)

here's the kicker.

the bag was left about 150 feet away from our house and actually around the corner.

Fine is for 75 euro and it was sent with a picture of the bag on the street.

im leaving it to go to court and taking pictures of the distance between my house and where it was left. I couldnt possibly have seen it down that street as its a lane leading into a school and ive no reason to be going in there not having kids and it being a dead end , plus how could i know it was my bag thatd been left on the street or what was put into it subsequently?

thoughts?

Could someone have opened your bag and put a few bottles in (bad neighbours)?

Whats the story with the red tags, first I've heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

there's an awful lot of onstreet hardluck cases that litter our street with bottles and cans and as i said its just by a school so its likely a parent put them in the bin, either way im fighting it. Not paying for that.

ill try see what the red stickers say later.

Very laudable, but be careful not to use your body as a bin.

Fear not, Stripey Cat, even if I wanted to I couldn't - fussy creature that I am. A few years ago, I realised I was throwing away a ridiculous amount of food because I'd forget it was there and not notice it until it was fit only for the bin. It's taken a bit of time to retrain myself but these days I take the time (also ~have~ the time, thanks to being reduced to 2 days work a week) to notice what needs to be eaten sooner than later and plan my meals accordingly. I'm a lot more conscious of what I buy now too - mentally tracking how long it will last, where it will need to go if it doesn't get eaten (can it be composted? will the birds eat it? etc) and how many options recipe-wise it has. It's all very organic....I mean the new me, not the food I'm buying ;)

I added the latest reply to my list, it's from Cllr Mary Fitzpatrick (Fianna Fáil) here it's a cop out & another example of the arrogance of some of these elected officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lord mayor of dublin has given dcc 24hrs to respond to the fiasco.....hope i got that right :O certainly wont be paying anything for the moment!

Or what? he'll storm their offices on one of his corpo bikes? :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Update: I've just got home (Finglas) and my black bin was emptied (presumably by Greyhound) today and I haven't registered with them or paid any money. Remains to be seen if they collect the green bin next week, but if they collected the black one it's likely they'll collect the green one. So, for those that have just received letters, I'd say put out whichever bin the calender that came with the letter states is to be put out and it should be emptied even if you haven't paid them anything yet.

They are collecting the bins as normal until the 16th february whether you have paid or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I can't see a post specifically dealing with the D8 area, but can anyone help? I normally get bin tags for the rubbish and my green bin is magically collected by Greyhound every two weeks. I've never paid them anything. The bins on my street left out two days ago haven't been collected. I have no idea what's going on, and haven't seen any notification about it. People are talking about 'credit' with DCC but I've no account with DCC.

I'm in rented accommodation so am I right in thinking I'll have to fork out 80 euro 'deposit' (which I'll never see again) and then pay 3 euro or so for every collection? It just seems like it's going to be really expensive. I only ever leave out a 'rubbish' bin every two/three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

irishbird wrote: »
    They are collecting the bins as normal until the 16th february whether you have paid or not

Doubt that is true. They didn't collect my street today in Phibsboro - we're all bags and stickers as houses don't have wheelie bins. All bags that i saw on my way to work had labels on and were all in the same place when i came home.

The only letter we got was about the change over in labels. Nothing about the 100 euro charge so no idea what is going on.

If anyone gets onto Greyhound or the Council, could ye tell them that if they don't collect the bins, it becomes a major Health and Safety issue and people will begin to dump rubbish everywhere. And the Council will have to pick it all up anyway so this is really daft.

New from Cllr Rebecca Moynihan's blog.
    Motion in the name of Cllr Rebecca Moynihan
    Following the disaster that has been the bin changeover this week and the huge distress that the previously un-communicated up front standing charge payment is causing, I have submitted the following motion Environment and Engineering SPC. The meeting will take place tomorrow at 3.30 pm in City Hall. You can watch the meeting live here http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/core/

see full text here

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

chinguetti wrote: »
    The only letter we got was about the change over in labels. Nothing about the 100 euro charge so no idea what is going on.

As far as I know the 100.00 charge service only applies to bin lifts, I'm also a bag & label area, I left mine out this moring for collection..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I'm living in Dublin 8 and I see Oxigen are offering waste services in our area. Looks like they'll work out cheaper than Greyhound. There is only 2 of us in the house so we only put the black bin out every few months. We have the option with Oxigen of just paying €14 per collection. No annual fee or anything like that. They'll also collect recycling for free and brown bin for €12. Again, we don't fill the brown bin very often.
    They have a few options that could suit others. Link

littlejp wrote: »
    I'm living in Dublin 8 and I see Oxigen are offering waste services in our area. Looks like they'll work out cheaper than Greyhound. There is only 2 of us in the house so we only put the black bin out every few months. We have the option with Oxigen of just paying €14 per collection. No annual fee or anything like that. They'll also collect recycling for free and brown bin for €12. Again, we don't fill the brown bin very often.
    They have a few options that could suit others. Link

Just went on their website but dublin isn't on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Just went on their website but dublin isn't on it??

They have a small button on their homepage that says "New, Dublin Domestic".
    If you click that link in my last post it goes straight to the page about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

littlejp wrote: »
    They have a small button on their homepage that says "New, Dublin Domestic".
    If you click that link in my last post it goes straight to the page about Dublin.

But it doesn't say what areas of Dublin it actually covers or plans to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-bin-collection-firm-offers-instalment-pay-plan-536510.html#ixzz1jtvJI1YA

"The Greyhound Waste Management Company has said its customers in Dublin can now pay their €100 'Annual Service Charge' in two instalments."

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Oxigen are starting bin collections in north dublin next week. They have employed new staff to answer phones and are starting a radio and newspaper ad campaign today. Its too late for me, I paid bloody greyhound yesterday:mad:

does "automatic topup" mean that you have to give them your card details instead of sticking a few quid on every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

olaola wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-bin-collection-firm-offers-instalment-pay-plan-536510.html#ixzz1jtvJI1YA

"The Greyhound Waste Management Company has said its customers in Dublin can now pay their €100 'Annual Service Charge' in two instalments."

BIG DEAL! According to today's Irish Times: "customers can now opt to pay €50 up front and to defer the second payment of €50 until 1st July 2012 if they sign up to become Automatic Top Up customers before February 15th."
    But:"The offer closes on 15th February 2012,"
    And
    "Customers who chose not to sign up to the automatic top-up easy pay service must pay the €100 Annual service in full by 15th February 2012 and also put their account in credit to meet bin lift costs in order to maintain their Greyhound bin collection service after that date."

In other words they want PRE PAYMENT of whatever charges THEY will decide in due course.
    With Dublin City Council's direct service the invoice was €25 per quarter in arrears as a standing charge plus lift charges. Now the new operator wants the standing charges paid In Advance. - This represents a price increase.

As I said in previous posts on this forum Do Not Let City Councillors Off The Hook On This. Its their responsibility to provide a bin collection service for the Dublin City area. They can all be contacted at this link:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/Pages/FindYourLocalCouncillorsHome.aspx

• Advertisement

Ernest wrote: »
    But it doesn't say what areas of Dublin it actually covers or plans to cover.

Emailed them about an hour ago to see what area the do so fingers crossed!

Advertisement