Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greatest Movie Scene?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Good will hunting. Any scene.
    /thread

I'll see your Good Will Hunting and go all in with Schindlers List.

A harrowing and heartbreaking film, the deathcamp scenes from that movie will stay with me until I leave this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Just a few.

The shining.
    Full metal jacket.
    Jaws.
    No country for old men.
    Mostly anything with Clint Eastwood.

Good movies but asking for favourites scenes not films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The end of The Last of the Mohicans. The chase, music, landscape, photography, actors, everything about it is what film making should be.

Good one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Once upon a time in the west opening scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzkBNmHALEw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Keyzer wrote: »
    I'll see your Good Will Hunting and go all in with Schindlers List.

A harrowing and heartbreaking film, the deathcamp scenes from that movie will stay with me until I leave this world.

When Schindler breaks down and feels guilty his posessions could have saved more - "This pin, that's one more" - I weep for hours.

How Liam Neeson never won the Oscar that year will always be Hollywood's shame.

My personal list:

Brokeback Mountain - first time together in their tent, it's awkward but beautiful.
    Jaws - first time you see the shark and also Quint's tale about the Indianapolis.
    Usual Suspects/The Sixth Sense (the "reveals" - no spoilers there!!)
    Blade Runner - the death of Roy Batty and the speech he gives.
    Psycho - the first time you realise who Mother really is ....
    Goodfellas - "I'm funny how ?" - Pesci at his best.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The nightmare sequence in Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo (1958). Which also happens to be my all time favorite film.

A close second would the amazing unknown voyage sequence in Stanley Kubrick’s incredible 2001: A Space Odessey (1968), which revolutionized the sci-fi genre.

You have good taste!
    I watched that film for the first time last Saturday (Vertigo)
    Such atmosphere!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

My personal list:

Goodfellas - "I'm funny how ?" - Pesci at his best.

People probably know this but that scene was completely improvised. Scorcese left the camera running and let the actors shoot the sh1t.

Keyzer wrote: »
    People probably know this but that scene was completely improvised. Scorcese left the camera running and let the actors shoot the sh1t.

I actually did not know that!!!

Wow, even more impressive and I thought so highly of it already!!!!

• Advertisement

kung fu hustle

landlords reveal

genius

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That scene in Goodfellas where Jimmy starts getting worried about his crew after the airport robbery. Bodies turning up in freezers, dump trucks etc while Layla plays in the background. It’s magnificent.

https://youtu.be/1Z6MJIjCJ20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Top gun,
    Opening scene,
    Usually stop watching after Maverick has to go back for goose.

EDIT: it’s not goose, the other guy Cougar?

wow .. what a thread, literally every post is a great scene.
    There is so much to choose from , and I can't say which is the best, most of what I wanted to post is here already so I'll add one that isn't

This was probably the best 4 minutes I've ever spent in a cinema

super troopers- pre credits scene

heat- the heist goes wrong

tinker tailor soldier spy- smiley calls out esterhazy with the plane threatening in the background

russia with love- the great robert shaw puts up the only real fistfight connerys bond ever looked like losing

the sting- the great robert shaw places a losing bet

jaws- the great robert shaw tells a story about the uss indianapolis

Can I be a total girl and also put up the scene in Beaches where the mate dies ? The second Wind Beneath My Wings starts and I am a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Greatest movie scene ever? Absolutely not, but in terms of recent movies I've watched, this scene is pretty awesome!! and I'm not afraid to admit I've watched it more than a few times.

Of course the movies are just huge big CGI fests, but they are entertaining, and I still think this scene is bloody great, and tied in with that score.....

Also this, again with an immense score.

The first drop in quality ...

Greatest movie scene ever? Absolutely not, but in terms of recent movies I've watched, this scene is pretty awesome!! and I'm not afraid to admit I've watched it more than a few times.

Of course the movies are just huge big CGI fests, but they are entertaining, and I still think this scene is bloody great, and tied in with that score.....

Also this, again with an immense score.

Every time I watch Predator I joke that would be me ... about Billy , just saying F*ck it , throwing down me guns and facing the Predator with a knife ...

• Advertisement

Purely going on how I felt when I saw it, and how it affected me.

surely the opening scene in jaws no? it has everything, it's amazing but again a question of taste, for me it wins hands down. second would be the alex kitner on the raft scene, how the camera pulls brody into view and the gurgling and blood etc. I remember being about 8yrs old and feeling physically ill seeing that.
    That's one bad hat harry!

there's loads of movies with great scenes of beauty and dialogue etc but for what it was, Jaws gets it, even on Theme alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I'll raise the OUATITW opening scene with one of the last scenes;

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Ingloriuos Bastard opening scene when we first meet the Jew Hunter (Christopher Waltz)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

rusty cole wrote: »

surely the opening scene in jaws no? it has everything, it's amazing but again a question of taste, for me it wins hands down. second would be the alex kitner on the raft scene, how the camera pull brody into view and the gurgling and blood etc. I remember being about 8yrs old and feeling physically ill seeing that.

there's loads of movies with great scenes of beauty and dialogue etc but for what it was, Jaws gets it, even on Theme alone.

The problem with Jaws is which scene do you pick. It's such a great movie.

Even the dialogue is a lesson in compactness. The scene where Brody get's introduced where he wakes up and his wife is still snoozing in bed.

"How come the sun didn't used to shine in here?"
    "We moved here in the fall, this is summer...the kids up?"
    "They must be in the back yard"
    "In Amity, you say 'yahd'"
    "The kids are in the yahd...not too fah...from the cah...how does that sound?"
    "Like you're from New York"

So much is conveyed in short order. They're a family just recently moved from New York, they're not quite settled yet and not sure about how they're going to settle in with the locals but it doesn't matter, it's clear it doesn't bother them as they both clearly love each other with the playful banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedington

Basement scene, inglourious basterds

Goodfellas again:
    The one where they are in Joe Pesci's Mam's kitchen, on the way to bury the body - the story she tells about the guy who never talks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJz_hj6GXw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When Jack Nicholson attacks Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. Very satisfying.

valoren wrote: »
    The problem with Jaws is which scene do you pick. It's such a great movie.

Even the dialogue is a lesson in compactness. The scene where Brody wakes up and his wife is still snoozing in bed.

"How come the sun didn't used to shine in here?"
    "We moved here in the fall, this is summer...the kids up?"
    "They must be in the back yard"
    "In Amity, you say 'yahd'"
    "The kids are in the yahd...not too fah...from the cah...how does that sound?"
    "Like you're from New York"

So much is conveyed in short order. They're a family just recently moved from New York, they're not quite settled yet and not sure about how they're going to settle in with the locals but it doesn't matter, it's clear it doesn't bother them as they both clearly love each other with the witty banter.

yes it's why it's my favourite film of all time and I cannot see it being beat!
    like you say, some of the seminal scenes need not even be mentioned, it's that good. "Now you take a look at that sign, those proportions are correct"!

I read the book twice too and much prefer the movie, which is an exception to the rule...so is Shawshank in that regard.

rusty cole wrote: »

surely the opening scene in jaws no? it has everything, it's amazing but again a question of taste, for me it wins hands down. second would be the alex kitner on the raft scene, how the camera pulls brody into view and the gurgling and blood etc. I remember being about 8yrs old and feeling physically ill seeing that.
    That's one bad hat harry!

Jaws is my number one fave film, ever. It's got a bit of everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Jaws is my number one fave film, ever. It's got a bit of everything!

If I ever went into the printing business I'd call the company 'Polly'

Our tag line would be "Let Polly do the printing"

:D

Advertisement