Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

...Elton John Lewis Christmas Ad 2018...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Well the ad annoys me for 3 reasons.

1 - Its not Christmassy.
    2 - Its not true. He wasnt given a piano for xmas by his mammy when he was four. So dont show me Eltons non fictional life story and then try to hit my feels with a lie at the end!!!
    3 - I just feel like Elton needed a few bob so he made this.

I do like Your Song and I do think they have done a great job with Elton lookalikes, but as the JL Xmas ad - Im just not that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I've seen every online article about the ad, and indeed the OP refers to it, as having "dropped" today.

Fook off everyone with your fancy tech speak. Is not trendy enough to say it was RELEASED any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've seen every online article about the ad, and indeed the OP refers to it, as having "dropped" today.

Fook off everyone with your fancy tech speak. Is not trendy enough to say it was RELEASED any more?
    I despise that usage so much!! The people who use it were probably 'dropped' as a baby, but now deserve to be 'dropped' with a punch, or something stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Every one to their own I suppose.

Of course it's all down to personal taste but there really is good music out there if you just look for it.

You can't just say that all music nowadays is bad as there is so much of it and you don't say which music you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course it's all down to personal taste but there really is good music out there if you just look for it.

You can't just say that all music nowadays is bad as there is so much of it and you don't say which music you don't like.
    Chart music is definitely worse today - and in the 70s Elton was in the charts with songs like Tiny Dancer, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Benny And The Jets, and Song For Guy... I'd say that's what the poster means.

But certainly there is still plenty of great non chart music today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Chart music is definitely worse today - and in the 70s Elton was in the charts with songs like Tiny Dancer, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Benny And The Jets, and Song For Guy... I'd say that's what the poster means.

But certainly there is still plenty of great non chart music today.

Agree about chart music, lots of R n B stuff that all sounds the same.

I just don't listen to music on the radio nowadays. Grew up in the 70s/80s and think that generation was spoilt.

Thankfully through Spotify and Apple Music I'm spoilt for choice with other stuff and there's plenty of good stuff coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

...So the most anticipated Christmas Ad has dropped

Fcuking hate that stupid term "dropped".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Probably referring to it in the turd in the toilet sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

****ing Christmas ads in November.....

Oh well at least there not ruining anymore Smiths songs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

[QUOTE=How Soon Is Now;108633416]****ing Christmas ads in November.....

Oh well at least there not ruining anymore Smiths songs![/QUOTE]

Next year they will probably start before Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Next year they will probably start before Halloween.

Why wait ffs lets just keep the tree up and leave the lights on all year round!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

To be fair… he’s a fat fûck. A talented fat fûck, but a fat fûck none the less. A mega ritch extremely talented fat fûck…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm not sure what to think of the ad, it's good I suppose but just doesn't feel like a Christmas ad. We'll made definitely, and very nostalgic. The problem I would have is it feels like a trailer for his film that's coming out next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Not a Christmas ad that we are accustomed to but its a good ad but a sneaky promo for that new EJ film coming out. Im glad the ad wasn't politicised in any way to do with gender, race, creed or political stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The John Lewis Christmas ad is yet another attack on the family, the destruction of which is the ultimate goal.

Christmas is seen as a family time so they portray a homesexual musician who hates his father and shows his mother and grandmother in a positive light while excluding any positive masculine influence.

(Warning this view may be complete BS!)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The John Lewis Christmas ad is yet another attack on the family, the destruction of which is the ultimate goal.

Christmas is seen as a family time so they portray a homesexual musician who hates his father and shows his mother and grandmother in a positive light while excluding any positive masculine influence.

(Warning this view may be complete BS!)

Wasnt he estranged from his mother for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Ha ha all the young ones who are big in the music industry these days, have less creativity than Elton has in his baby finger.

Which one is his baby finger (-;

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Elton John is an untalented over rated one hit wonder.

He's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Beautiful piece of work

Well done to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Awww I thought it was lovely. He has a great voice.
    Did think, hang on a sec - a piano for a Christmas present! That's a bit steep.

(But having read SafeSurfer's analysis I fear I may be a pushover for embedded Illuminati programming :( )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I like it.
    For me, the idea of an aging/aged famous musician, thinking back over his career to getting his first piano at Christmas is about as Christmassy as it gets.

There. I said it.
    And its a beautiful song.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like Elton but the advert was meh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Zorya wrote: »
    Awww I thought it was lovely. He has a great voice.
    Did think, hang on a sec - a piano for a Christmas present! That's a bit steep.

(But having read SafeSurfer's analysis I fear I may be a pushover for embedded Illuminati programming :( )

Pianos were ten a penny when Elton was a child in the 1920's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

AdrianLM wrote: »
    Correction, Elton John did not write this, Elton John only wrote 1 song which was ever performed by himself and it was terrible. Bernie Taupin is the talent behind Elton John and has only gotten the recognition in more recent years.

Elton wrote and performed the music, Taupin wrote the lyrics. Elton composed all his music, in much the same way Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber worked. Therefore, 'Your Song' was written by both men in the same way 'Jesus Christ Superstar' was written by both men.

Anyway, I love me a bit of Elton and that ad gave me little tingles. Reminds me a bit of the video for his song 'This Train Don't Stop Here Any More' which features Justin Timberlake playing a young Elton (and looking remarkably similar!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Elton wrote and performed the music, Taupin wrote the lyrics. Elton composed all his music, in much the same way Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber worked. Therefore, 'Your Song' was written by both men in the same way 'Jesus Christ Superstar' was written by both men.

Anyway, I love me a bit of Elton and that ad gave me little tingles. Reminds me a bit of the video for his song 'This Train Don't Stop Here Any More' which features Justin Timberlake playing a young Elton (and looking remarkably similar!)

Here is said video. Based on this JT would have been a good choice to play Elton in the forthcoming biographical film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuHAn54wPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Elton John is an untalented over rated one hit wonder.
    We obviously disagree on the meaning of "one hit wonder".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Here is said video. Based on this JT would have been a good choice to play Elton in the forthcoming biographical film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuHAn54wPs

Such an underrated song! Great video too.

I agree, Justin looks uncanny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I liked that.

Not a lot.

But I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pelvis wrote: »
    We obviously disagree on the meaning of "one hit wonder".

He’s an underrated ten hit wonder.

Advertisement