Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beards

• 14-11-2018 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

It's official, sort of.

Every single woman from a study pool of 8,500 said that they preferred men with facial hair, which is remarkable when you think about it.

The womens were shown pictures of men who were clean shaven, then five days without shaving, then 10 days without shaving, and then four weeks without shaving. According to the study, men with 'heavy stubble' were deemed the most attractive, followed then by men with full beards.

What do the womens of Boards think?

Comments

So where was the research done?
    Who were the respondents?
    Some countries have a far higher 'beard' population than others.
    If the countries responding were countries were beards are the normal, then I would expect these results.

Where is the study & results of Irish women in relation to beard wearing men?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

bubblypop wrote: »
    So where was the research done?
    Who were the respondents?
    Some countries have a far higher 'beard' population than others.
    If the countries responding were countries were beards are the normal, then I would expect these results.

Where is the study & results of Irish women in relation to beard wearing men?

Looks like someone is clean shaven.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Looks like someone is clean shaven.

I really hope so!
    Haven't had to shave yet.......but ya never know as I get older.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Northern lights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Beards are great.
    But not on women.
    They're horrendous on women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It depends on the man. Beards suit some men, others they don't suit. I usually prefer stubble or clean shaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Panthro wrote: »
    Beards are great.
    But not on women.

Get a no no......

My beard is too dark if I let it grow so I have to keep it really short or be clean-shaven, both of which I dislike. Basically, I don't like anything, and I'm even going bald.

Hair can fek off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Weren’t mullets cool one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Stubble it is!

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

A total of 9991 participants (8699 female, 1292 male) completed this study. For this manuscript, we use only the response from women between 18 and 100 years of age whose Kinsey scale scores indicate they were at least as interested in men as they are in women (i.e. Kinsey et al., 1948, 1–4). This left a sample of 8520 participants for analyses. Participants in this study were predominantly of European descent.

Hm. To me, that seems quite a bias to build into the study. While I get the core tenet of more masculine = more dominant/better able to protect and provide, I've certainly lived in cultures where the general preference was for clean shaven men/men with no body hair.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Hm. To me, that seems quite a bias to build into the study. While I get the core tenet of more masculine = more dominant/better able to protect and provide, I've certainly lived in cultures where the general preference was for clean shaven men/men with no body hair.

Well it's more relevant to our culture. If we included 1.4bn Chinese people, the results would say beards are a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I hate shaving but I definitely don't want to be a beard-clone either. It's been a week since I shaved but I'm going to do it in a few minutes.

From the article:
    Beards may be more attractive to women when considering long-term than short-term relationships as they indicate a male's ability to successfully compete socially with other males for resources.
    Are these resources lumps of food they find in their beards? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

A full beard hides the obvious balding by drawing the eyes down in my opinion, that's why I have one but then you notice all the people around you stroke their faces after looking at you.A number of studies have suggested that both men and women perceive men with beards as older, stronger and more aggressive than others. And dominant men can get more mating opportunities by intimidating rivals to stand aside.Nigel Barber linked British facial hair fashions between 1842 and 1971 to the ratio of men to women in the marriage market. It found that in times with a greater proportion of single men competing for fewer women, beards and moustaches became more fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A lot of insecure men on boards I see, who cares what way you look, just enjoy life folks

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Well it's more relevant to our culture. If we included 1.4bn Chinese people, the results would say beards are a no-go.

Fair enough. But that isn't the point of the study.

After all, the title of the study is

"facial masculinity and beardedness interact to determine women's ratings of men's facial attractiveness",

not

"facial masculinity and beardedness interact to determine women's ratings of men's facial attractiveness (except the women who might throw off the result we expect to get)"

[edit]
    If we included 1.4bn Chinese people, the results would say beards are a no-go.

That's not how statistics work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

mike_ie wrote: »

It's fair to say the 90's-2000's boyband aesthetic is well and truly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

VeryTerry wrote: »
    It's fair to say the 90's-2000's boyband aesthetic is well and truly over.

Some guys look well with one. Others look like they've been dragged through a bush backwards. The beardy thing will pass too someday, it's all gone a bit copycat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Some guys look well with one. Others look like they've been dragged through a bush backwards. The beardy thing will pass too someday, it's all gone a bit copycat now.

That can be said for all trends. I still reckon we're a bit off peak beard. The only lads I know in their 30's that don't have one can't grow one. Lots of their fiancé's and wives will be horrified if they ever see them shaved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I always get the feeling that some dudes get very emotionally attached to their beard as it’s pretty much the only masculine thing about them - having no sporting prowess (computer gaming doesn’t count), courage, strength etc. It’s hardly an amazing feat to have one in fairness - you simply stop shaving. It’s not like you’ve to have special powers to grow one.

For many men, a beard provides a way to partially disguise that they are uttterly hideous looking individuals. Even though their pathetic beard makes them look like a dweeb at best, and a sex criminal at worst. It’s a price they are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I always get the feeling that some dudes get very emotionally attached to their beard as it’s pretty much the only masculine thing about them - having no sporting prowess (computer gaming doesn’t count), courage, strength etc. It’s hardly an amazing feat to have one in fairness - you simply stop shaving. It’s not like you’ve to have special powers to grow one.

For many men, a beard provides a way to partially disguise that they are uttterly hideous looking individuals. Even though their pathetic beard makes them look like a dweeb at best, and a sex criminal at worst. It’s a price they are willing to pay.

This guy definitely cannot grow a beard

This guy definitely cannot grow a beard

As I said, all you do is stop shaving. It’s not exactly a super power you require. Tried the beard once or twice and doesn’t suit me. Which is fair enough. You could argue that regular grooming is a more masculine trait - rubbing sharpened steel down your face.

Listen, if you want a beard then grow one. Just be aware it probably looks terrible on you. Plenty of lads end up looking like Harold Shipman without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Panthro wrote: »
    Beards are great.
    But not on women.

877048_v9_ba.jpg

She is just as attractive as any so called model these days ...
    If you disagree you are a transphobic bigot.

877048_v9_ba.jpg

She is just as attractive as any so called model these days ...
    If you disagree you are a transphobic bigot.

What the fûck is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

For me it's a weather thing. I shave it off every spring so I'm not as warm during the hot months, and I grow it back in Autumn so I'm warm as I cycle / motorcycle about the place.

My wife has said she prefers the beard though, but that doesn't stop me shaving it off when it gets warm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

As I said, all you do is stop shaving. It’s not exactly a super power you require. Tried the beard once or twice and doesn’t suit me. Which is fair enough. You could argue that regular grooming is a more masculine trait - rubbing sharpened steel down your face.

Listen, if you want a beard then grow one. Just be aware it probably looks terrible on you. Plenty of lads end up looking like Harold Shipman without realising it.

I may have found your issue, if you just stop shaving then yes you will look ridiculous. How ever if you do a hit of trimming and general shaping and styling then you will look far from ridiculous.

Unless of course you are one of the men who only grow in patches

+1 beards

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

If your Dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two Moms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

VeryTerry wrote: »
    That can be said for all trends. I still reckon we're a bit off peak beard. The only lads I know in their 30's that don't have one can't grow one. Lots of their fiancé's and wives will be horrified if they ever see them shaved.

And vice versa. Makes some lads look like right ould men.

Advertisement