Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD or RCSI?

• 20-05-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got 59 in my Gamsat so according to last years numbers I'll have enough for both UCD and RCSI.

I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Does anybody have a thought on any point of differentiation other than the obvious stuff on the websites?

Either will be great if the points don't go way up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

There's a lot on this in other threads already. It's also a big question for me, it consumes my days and nights :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

pc11 wrote: »
    There's a lot on this in other threads already. It's also a big question for me, it consumes my days and nights :eek:

Since I posted I've come across quite a bit. It seems to be down to hospital placement for alot of people.

Do you know how much time if any is spent in the rcsi stephens green building?

UCD seem to have a nice work/ life balance going on. (nice hols/ exams a little more relaxed).

I have RCSI down 1 but im pretty close to changing

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

From similar days and nights to pc11, there really is no difference between UCD and RCSI from an academic or clinical perspective. Every doctor I asked said the same thing.

My decision was based on convenience. Sandyford (RCSI first year) and Belfield (UCD) are a few minutes away from where I live, so first year would be easy. Vincents Hospital is convenient also, the Mater less so but still relatively quick to get to by bus, train or bike. Getting to Connolly or Beaumont would be a serious pain, and for RCSI that is where you will be for a lot of your four years. UCD wodul save me several hours traveling per day!

There are lots of other factors you can take into account, but try to only include the things you actually care about. Hopefully your decision can be made without scoring who had nicer coffee at the open day!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Similiar dilemma for me, except Im torn between either UCD or UL. I lived in Dublin for a few years and a lot of my good mates are there so that heavily tips in in favour. However Limerick is closer to home and prob comparatively cheaper. Im also (prob much more important than the previous points!!) non science background so I think the didactic teaching of UCD would suit me better than PBL in UL. Having said that, I was down in UL a few months ago and I was really impressed by their facilities. Im prob 75/25 in favour of UCD.

There's a lot on this topic here including my own thoughts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84402030

There is no difference in quality or reputation. The single biggest difference is the higher cost in RCSI.

The difference in travelling is also a factor. Bear in kind that UCD has lectures, labs and library all in one place in Belfield, with some time in the Mater. In RCSI you will be flitting between Sandyford, Stephen's Green, Beaumont in first year and Blanchardstown the second year. This adds time, expense and stress.

If money is a problem, like for me, the long summer holiday in UCD gives a chance to work, whereas the summer break in RCSI is very short. Added to the higher fees in RCSI, UCD is much the better option financially.

That said, if I was rich I would probably choose RCSI as I like the dedicated facility they have and the small class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

There's a lot on this topic here including my own thoughts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84402030

There is no difference in quality or reputation. The single biggest difference is the higher cost in RCSI.

The difference in travelling is also a factor. Bear in kind that UCD has lectures, labs and library all in one place in Belfield, with some time in the Mater. In RCSI you will be flitting between Sandyford, Stephen's Green, Beaumont in first year and Blanchardstown the second year. This adds time, expense and stress.

If money is a problem, like for me, the long summer holiday in UCD gives a chance to work, whereas the summer break in RCSI is very short. Added to the higher fees in RCSI, UCD is much the better option financially.

That said, if I was rich I would probably choose RCSI as I like the dedicated facility they have and the small class.

I've been scouring this forum as well for the various differences between RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL. I also read that thread you shared. I thought the person (persons?) who wrote about RCSI was very comprehensive, in particular. I think it was "Biologic"? UCD was well covered as well. I thought UCC could have been covered in more depth though. UL is too much of a risky proposition for me - it being PBL and the lack of cadavers in anatomy. So I'm going to focus on choosing between the others.

From a non-science perspective, the fact (according to that thread anyway) that at UCD the first two years don't count towards your final grade is reassuring as it gives me more time to catch up as it were with science grads. By contrast, the first two years are worth 10% at RCSI, if I can recall correctly.

Still, the more I read about RCSI, the more appealing it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

House_QC wrote: »
    From a non-science perspective, the fact (according to that thread anyway) that at UCD the first two years don't count towards your final grade is reassuring as it gives me more time to catch up as it were with science grads. By contrast, the first two years are worth 10% at RCSI, if I can recall correctly.

That's correct, but the 10% comes from 2nd year. At that point, the playing field is well and truly leveled with regards to science v non-science.
    Also, we spend minimal time in Beaumont until final year. Our third year is spent bouncing around different hospitals, which I'm sure UCD do too. RCSI will pay for your accommodation if you're in a peripheral hospital or give you a travel allowance. It's worth checking if UCD do this too, in order to get a better idea of finances.

Similiar dilemma for me, except Im torn between either UCD or UL. I lived in Dublin for a few years and a lot of my good mates are there so that heavily tips in in favour. However Limerick is closer to home and prob comparatively cheaper. Im also (prob much more important than the previous points!!) non science background so I think the didactic teaching of UCD would suit me better than PBL in UL. Having said that, I was down in UL a few months ago and I was really impressed by their facilities. Im prob 75/25 in favour of UCD.

I would have taken ul gladly if I got 55 but luckily I done well enough to get back up to Dublin. Anyway, from what I've read the pbl in ul is tough tough goin compared to trad didactic in ucd. Plus less holidays, more pressure cause it's a relatively new course.

There seems to be a member of staff dedicated to usmle applications in RCSI. Is it true that you have a better chance of placement in the states through RCSI or is this a myth?

It really is a nightmare picking between the two.

Why are the points higher for RCSI? Why do people seem to have a preference for it or is this down to the lower number of places?

Finally, the hospitals.

Blanch or Vincents? Does it make a bit of difference other than convenience of location?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

The big concern for me is the bank loan. Is it easier to get a bank loan with one of those colleges versus the other?

• Advertisement

The big concern for me is the bank loan. Is it easier to get a bank loan with one of those colleges versus the other?

For UCD/RCSI? No difference whatsoever. Both are with BOI and processed by the same team.

The relevant difference is the extra fees in RCSI which are not covered by the loan, about 2K per year.

(EDIT: also applies to BOI loans for UL and UCC)

For UCD/RCSI? No difference whatsoever. Both are with BOI and processed by the same team.

The relevant difference is the extra fees in RCSI which are not covered by the loan, about 2K per year.

Thanks! RCSI use AIB aswell though don't they and its a €75,000 loan. These numbers are so hypothetical talking about them here but in reality the thought of owing that type of money is so scary!

I have RCSI down as number 1 at the moment but I'm still not 100% sure. I really wish I'd gone to their open day. I might give them a call and see can I have a look around during the week. I've already seen UCD and there's no denying their new facilities are so impressive!

Thanks! RCSI use AIB aswell though don't they and its a €75,000 loan. These numbers are so hypothetical talking about them here but in reality the thought of owing that type of money is so scary!

I have RCSI down as number 1 at the moment but I'm still not 100% sure. I really wish I'd gone to their open day. I might give them a call and see can I have a look around during the week. I've already seen UCD and there's no denying their new facilities are so impressive!

Ive been onto rcsi, theyre very good about showing you around. The students are doing exams so you might not get to talk to one of them but they will give you the tour.

I heading up next week to see sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

I'm sure it's been said on other threads here that AIB have stopped the GEMS loans entirely for new entrants.

letsdothis wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been said on other threads here that AIB have stopped the GEMS loans entirely for new entrants.

I went into AIB and they said once I got all the documentation (i.e the acceptance from RCSI) they'd process the request for a graduate loan for RCSI. Maybe when you apply there's a different story, but they seemed optimistic.

I was just about to post this. I *think* it may be possible to take out a regular loan with AIB, rather than a GEM loan, but it will be more expensive and probably hard to get.

BOI (and UB in UL) are your only realistic options, as far as I know.

EDIT: see update in the next post

I just spoke to AIB. There is a loan available but it is at crazy terms and I can't see how anyone would want it, or even be able to get approved for it. it is a standard student loan, they have no GEM loan.

You have to pay the interest while still in college at 10.3% APR! It is re-applied for and reviewed every year and the guarantor is re-approved every year and it it would not be uncommon to have the loan stopped half-way through.

If you eventually get to a 60K loan after 3 years, the interest-only repayment would be around 460 per month while still in college!!:eek:

When you graduate you apparently have only 4 years (not 5 as published) to repay it. This means monthly payments of €1506 per month for a 60K principal. This is obviously impossible.

I asked if anyone has actually taken out such a loan in recent years as it seems they have no wish to actually issue any such loans, and they wouldn't answer me directly, but it seemed like very few.

So, unless you have a very rich daddy, AIB is out.

You deffo got through to someone who was more open about giving information! Fair play. Glad I know that now. I was really hoping it was a solution to getting the loan for 2k extra for RCSI. I know it's not that much, but when I'm paying for rent, and living expenses that seems like a lot to try and save.

You deffo got through to someone who was more open about giving information! Fair play. Glad I know that now. I was really hoping it was a solution to getting the loan for 2k extra for RCSI. I know it's not that much, but when I'm paying for rent, and living expenses that seems like a lot to try and save.

Don't forget, the prospect of fees increasing over the course of the 4 years cannot be ignored either....

I like to stay in my bubble and pretend these thing wont happen. Maybe UCD could be the better option so since it's cheaper. It may be a decision based on finances.

• Advertisement

I like to stay in my bubble and pretend these thing wont happen.
    Ha!
    Maybe UCD could be the better option so since it's cheaper. It may be a decision based on finances.

You've clearly been looking for something to put between the two courses. It's sad if it has to be money but I'm sure you won't regret going to UCD!

Ha!

You've clearly been looking for something to put between the two courses. It's sad if it has to be money but I'm sure you won't regret going to UCD!

Both colleges seem like outstanding colleges and I just can't make up my mind so it's coming down to factors like finance. I'm still hoping someone comes out with some deciding factor that will leave me in no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

Has anyone ever asked RCSI why their fees are higher than UCDs, for example? Do they offer a valid reason for it?

Don't forget, the prospect of fees increasing over the course of the 4 years cannot be ignored either....

Yes, and it is my understanding that these increases will NOT be covered by the loan either, you will have to pay whatever increase they ask for.
    In my spreadsheet plan I have assumed a rise of 1K each year, which is a total of 6K over the 4 years of college. This is not small.

Update!!

Have been speaking to two more gps. One went to surgeons and recommends surgeons!! No surprise.

The other has two kids in med, one in surgeons, one in ucd. On their feedback it's another tick for surgeons. They look after you better, there's a " your one of us now" feel to the place he says.

The only thing is that it's all med, not a diversity of departments, but I've done my undergrad and I'm all set for freeing my mind/ finding myself.

Defo leaning toward rcsi a bit now

My issue with RCSI is that they have no benefits over UCD which justify €2,000 extra! I went out to see their facilities in Sandyford as well- I know it's only for a year but so far UCD 2: RCSI: 0

My issue with RCSI is that they have no benefits over UCD which justify €2,000 extra! I went out to see their facilities in Sandyford as well- I know it's only for a year but so far UCD 2: RCSI: 0

Rcsi smaller classes, earlier clinical exposure, international rep as a med school,
    These are the things I'm hearing from the people I've spoken to.

Higher fees is a bother alright but you do get the laptop with the notes

Not a whole lot between them, I'd be as happy to go to ucd but for now, surgeons is1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JennyJ87

It's hard to comment on this question as I haven't been to both but I can say UCD is a superb medical school and from any of the objective measures seems to be in a different league to RCSI.

I'd rather be taught in a group of 50 by a consultant than in a group of ten by a junior doctor, that's my opinion as a final year.

Good doctors come out of both but if your daddy isn't paying for your ski holidays and your mini cooper you'll probably be better off in UCD, ironic I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My partner studied in both for a while (don't ask) he thought that though UCD had the better facilities, RCSI was better with less bs labs and random microbiology lectures that made little/no sense!

Oh and JennyJ is right, RCSI is still very much a daddy's little rich kid exclusive club! They come from America with their money and think they are better than you. A few thought their parents paying nearly 50grand a year meant they were better than you even though the Irish students got their solely on academics! Though in all fairness, that attitude is in a lot of areas of life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JennyJ87

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    even though the Irish students got their solely on academics!

There are more than a few backdoors in from what I've heard

Advertisement