Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ToolSuppliers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Nice one Sparks, thanks for posting.
    BTW is that a leather strop on the right? Looks like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, it's just a piece of 2mm suede cowhide glued there using contact cement and charged with white polishing compound, all bought off ebay. Been using one for a while (just an offcut of 2x4 wrapped in leather that was nailed and glued in place), but everything was separate while I built the workbench and it was a bit of a pain if had to sharpen anything so I put it all in the one place.

I'm going to keep the other strop though, because it was a pain for fully sharpening an edge from the plates on up, but it is bloody useful to just keep near the work so you can pause for ten seconds every so often and just strop the chisel three or four times and touch up the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Sparks wrote: »
    BTW, its.co.uk have ultex diamond sharpening plates on sale at the moment for £10 each (coarse, medium, fine and extra fine). Got all four myself a fortnight ago:

They're not bad, they're as flat as my DMT plate and the channels don't seem to cause any rough running when sliding the chisel over the plate. They're cutting fast at the moment but I've not had enough time sharpening on them to break in the diamonds yet. But a full sharpening station for less than the cost of one DMT plate? That's worth a try.

Hi Sparks
    Thanks for posting. Tried to order today from ITS but they will only accept UK card. How did you put your order through?

Cheers

Used my normal card and used the address from addresspal in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea they certainly dont make it easy.. gave their own phone number as my home number, as it just wouldnt accept anything my own. As above, I used addresspal address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Cheers Lads
    Tried again with Address Pal so hopefully works this time

Whoops. Make sure you email sales@its.co.uk after ordering and have them put in your correct billing address (or they'll spam you with free catalogs at €3.50 a time via addresspal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

Whoops. Make sure you email sales@its.co.uk after ordering and have them put in your correct billing address (or they'll spam you with free catalogs at €3.50 a time via addresspal).

I sent an email yesterday just asking to be removed from the mailing list, did they get back to you?

Yes, they did and sorted it out quickly.

my stones arrived yesterday - the weight of em! very impressed. Thanks for the heads up.. I was a whisker away from ezelap ones from fine-tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

How are the UK sharpening stones holding up lads?
    Lovely sharpening station Sparks

Mine are holding up pretty well, I managed to dig a few lines into the 1200 when sharpening a card scraper but everything else is pristine still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Mods: hope this is ok to post here.
    Yours Truly is offloading a nice DeWalt 14.4V drill, trim saw, two batteries, and charger. Note that it's a 110V charger.
    The batteries are a bit old, so it's more suited to DIY use as opposed to 'trade use'.

http://www.adverts.ie/hand-tools/dewalt-14-4v-drill-circular-set-110v/12526758

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Im not sure if its ok for me to post this link to some tools I have for sale but if its a problem Ill take it down.
    Mostly 19th and early 20th century English woodworking tools but also some blacksmithing and bladesmithing tools.
    http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-72786

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

link doesn't work.

Thanks Wossack, I must have lost the final digit when I copied and pasted it.
    John

Ive just posted a video on youtube about making and using holdfasts, Thought you might be interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8fVM8EHrU

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Hi all. First post in here be gentle! I am a complete newbie. I want to set up my own woodworking shop for diy projects and making stuff as a hobby. I am moving house and I want to set this up in a detached garage. I need to buy everything!

Has anyone used http://www.clarkedistributors.ie

• Advertisement

What is an ok budget to get the stuff needed?
    Table saw or flip saw?
    Mitre saw
    Band saw
    Disc/belt sander
    Orbital sander
    Chisels/sharpeners
    Dust extraction
    Mortise
    Router
    Lathe
    Circular saw
    Japanese saws v hand saws?
    Planer
    All the usual bits like t square, rulers, marking knife, clamps, glue, sandpaper, etc?

I have jigsaw and drill and normal usual diy tools and crap workbench ( I will make the samurai workbench when I am confident down the line)

Any advice appreciated :-)

Oh and nail gun. I'm sure there is more I have forgotten. Would an air compressor reduce the need of gas canisters for nail guns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Poloman wrote: »
    Hi all. First post in here be gentle! I am a complete newbie. I want to set up my own woodworking shop for diy projects and making stuff as a hobby. I am moving house and I want to set this up in a detached garage. I need to buy everything!

Has anyone used http://www.clarkedistributors.ie

Mostly cheap rubbish.

You can get all the hand tools you actually need for less than €200, put together a set for my son recently.

It will be a slow start but don't buy any power tools (except maybe a drill) until you have made a few projects with just the hand tools. Then get good quality power tools as your use justifies them.

If you want to throw money at it you'll be doing it twice if you use clarke stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth going on an evening course (which are few and far between, unfortunately); i did one in hartstown in dublin 15, which covered making various types of joints with hand tools. €120, and they're open for registration for the autumn courses now.

Thanks guys. A guy at work told me the Clark stuff is crap so I will avoid. I have enough hand saws/hammers/drillbits etc so I will take your advice and start with hand tools first and then work away from that. As for courses there are some but I work shift so I would prob miss a lot of the course. There is a heap of stuff on youtube like samurai carpenter, wood by wright etc all very helpful indeed. Cheers

if you're thinking of making a work bench, be sure to check out paul sellers - he has about a dozen videos detailing construction of one from 3x2s and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Anyone ever buy CBN wheels for a grinder?
    Is toolpost.co.uk best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 don_carlos

Hi everyone. Recent blow in from America here. I am trying to source a ball vise. I am looking for something that is larger than the couple that are available on Axeministers website but because of my unfamiliarity with sourcing tools here across the Atlantic I am hoping to find out where I could get a large, nice, heavy ball vice. I guess the most ideal example I can furnish are the Monster Ball Vices made in the ol' USA.

http://www.monsterballvise.com/orderinfo.htm

Thanks!

Haven't seen many of those round here. There's the panavise types of things but they're not really meant for workholding where you'd hit the piece with a hammer, you'd destroy them. There's something like a ball vise here: https://www.workshopheaven.com/narex-clamp-mounted-ball-joint-carver-s-vice.html but I think the closest to what you're looking for is a pattern maker's vise and while they're fantastic, they're not cheap either:
    https://www.workshopheaven.com/pattern-makers-vice.html

• Advertisement

Ah rats, the Dublin Flea was last weekend when I could have gone if I'd known it existed :D Thanks MB, I'll head into it next time to take a peek. I do need to get a #7 or #8 for flattening the benchtop and I'd be paying €17 in postage alone from ebay.
    couple of lads selling planes at the dublin flea yesterday - i think i spotted about six bailey planes in total, and probably enough working parts between them for about three or four functional machines.
    i picked up a 4 1/2 with one screw missing for €8 - a little surface rust, but in working order.

Advertisement