Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I really should of thought to suggest doing it the other way. Anywhos.

Are you using the same PC for this Xbox as with your xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Yep! Just a different xbox, and ISO disc. I'll giveit a go and report back.

ongarite wrote: »
    Sorry man, that just can't work at all, and this is coming from a guy who has modded lots and lots of xboxs.

You HAVE to have the xbox HDD powered by the xbox power supply or it will never unlock and give you access to the HDD partitions.
    The xbox HDD is locked at all times until you power it on and the eeprom of the motherboard unlocks the code flashed to the HDD.

The xbox would be powered by the PC though. No difference. I dont see how it works but if he's done one before like that then perhaps perhaps perhaps!

Edit: I seem to have quoted a ghost!

weird, but the constant power method is on this thread! I can't remember the page but its there... Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Vasch, what do you mean you bricked it? Does it give an error code?

EDit: is xbins down for anybody else?

• Advertisement

ok I've tried every which way and I can't do this one! If any of the athlone boys can help I'll pay you in you your drug of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Send me a PM and I'll try do it on sunday.

I think Heroin would be best :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I have being runing in to problums moding mine im trying to start from the start again but when it comes to puting a music track on to the hard drive i get this error

"unable to create new soundtrack you reached the maximum 100 soundtracks"

There is no track's on the harddrive that i can see but it still play's one and the time of track is 0.00 ?

when i get to step 2 of it wrireing the new fimeware i ger this

read error: input/output error

And i am sure i have made the disc the right way i have made a load of them thinking maybe i did it wrong the frist time but i am sure it is right

Any one else ever see these error's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Wow, this thread's 21 pages now, and almost 10,500 views, this could turn into a cottage industry! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

In the guide it say's

9) Boot the pc up off the cd you burned earlier, when you get to the screen below disconnect the ide cable from the Xbox to its hdd and connect the pc ide cable to it (must be connected to the end of the cable).

But when i have it at the end of the cable it does not see the xbox hard drive it only see's it when it is in the middle of the ide cable :confused:

• Advertisement

120 brought me his xbox today and it wasnt working for me either. It was finding the drive but not finding the partition.

I tried putting it on the middle connection of the IDE (slave?) and worked grand!

Thanks Night rider for the suggestion!

Thats the first one like this in about 10 xboxes like this

indeed! thanks again witness!

Strange. had to do a Xbox there now and Microplop had the jumpers set to cable select. Wouldn't let me Xbrowser. Changed them and all went sweet. Its great now at this stage having the 5713 kernel CD-R and whatever other ones i have. open the box and plop the CD in. Niiiiceee

I like.

Ok. First brick. hard drive seems to have come off its spindle and i can hear the disk itself spin when i shake it.
    Whats the first thing you should do when you mod an xbox??? back up the EEPROM.
    Now its an xbox with an everlasting unleashx screen. Keeps flicking on and off like the dash keeps resetting.

Can i do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Original xbox modding service available: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52225

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

I don't like spammers who charge money for a free product.

Ditto.

But this has been argued out already and it seems like the majority of people ignored it.

Let it pass.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ok. First brick. hard drive seems to have come off its spindle and i can hear the disk itself spin when i shake it.
    Whats the first thing you should do when you mod an xbox??? back up the EEPROM.
    Now its an xbox with an everlasting unleashx screen. Keeps flicking on and off like the dash keeps resetting.

Can i do anything?

I'd just use an eeprom from another xbox, of course only one of them can ever be used on xbox live afterwards, you can have one of mine if you like, I only use my xbox's for xbmc so dont care about using online.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No way. Thats fecking brilliant. I thought the eeprom was binded to the motherboard flash. Nice. Am i right in assuming i can use one of my old softmod CD's with a full C: and E: on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As far as I know all you should need to do is follow Blacknight's guide - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055265739

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Yeah i mean the "hard drive backups" and eeprom from one of my other installations stemming from Blacknights new HD guide.

Edit: you just get the error code 6 (canot unlock HD) They are paired with the motherboard.

I was thinking about removing a daughterboard from a working seagate drive and replacing it with my broken ones daughterboard with the EEPROM....
    Too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is it possible to mess up your computer by doing this? Is there any Internet browser on XBMC and do remotes work with it or do you have to use the Xbox controll?

Its possible to break your PC by doing this, in the same way that its possible to get struck by lightning also. If your are careful you can't go wrong.

No net browser on XBMC, memory is very limited on XBOX (64MB). Using browser on SDTV is a horrific experience.

Your DVD remote works with XBMC and is the preferred method of control.

Edit: There was a project to integrate web browser into called Linksboxs but it was discontinued a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Cheers ongarite. Is it possible to put Linux on it using this method?

Same for Linux. Lack of memory and no native drivers and SDTV resolutions. AFAIK Linux versions for XBOX have all been discontinued years ago and would be very very basic.
    Far less functional than XBMC which is the only XBOX project still under active development.

In short, the XBOX is not suitable as PC replacement, basic web browser. If you want to really check e-mail, there is an excellent e-mail plugin for XBMC.

Yeah i mean the "hard drive backups" and eeprom from one of my other installations stemming from Blacknights new HD guide.

Edit: you just get the error code 6 (canot unlock HD) They are paired with the motherboard.

I was thinking about removing a daughterboard from a working seagate drive and replacing it with my broken ones daughterboard with the EEPROM....
    Too optimistic?

Its worth a punt. I'm sure someone here has one that arent using anymore (cough~ black_kinght probably has one ~cough)

Its worth a punt. I'm sure someone here has one that arent using anymore (cough~ black_kinght probably has one ~cough)
    Whats all this talk about?

Edit:

Im sure ive at least 1 seagate at the house. Its yours if ya want it, ill be in athlone next weekend if you pass anywhere near there, or know anyone that can bring it to ya. Or any other ideas....

Im in tullamore. Nicely nicely. Tahnks guys. At least if it doesnt work it'll be fun to try. If it does work though. Im macguyver.

You can read the eeprom from the motherboard too, somehow! Looks complicated though, will definitely be building one when i get back to college, earlier if they have the stuff at work (Be damned if i have to pay for stuff :pac::pac:)

• Advertisement

For some reason I thought dublin. Tullamores not so bad so. If you can wait until next friday or saturday i can meet ya then

Advertisement