Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Real Time App Update - Shows Live Position and Cancellations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The behaviour of the real time position is almost what I would expect. I don't think it would be hard to improve it. Depending on whether they are pushing or pulling the location data the bus could at least push when it is leaving a stop. But they are probably relying on cell signals. My point was that some people above are saying it is 100% accurate when in my experience it has been less than 5% accurate.

And I agree about the landmarks to some degree, but the stops should still be searchable by the street they are on/by address too rather than having to know the exact name of a randomly chosen building somewhat nearby. And might it be a more personal note but I think naming a stop the name of a religious building should be forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

devnull wrote: »
    I would argue that giving a road name is fairly generic and giving a landmark is a bit more precise in telling you where to look along that road. Some roads are very very long so it can be hard to know where to start for looking for a stop when you don't have any indicator as to roughly where it might be.

Across the pond where cities are grid like, stops are often named according to the two streets at the closest intersection. That doesn't work as well in older cities though so you're left with imaginative naming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Across the pond where cities are grid like, stops are often named according to the two streets at the closest intersection. That doesn't work as well in older cities though so you're left with imaginative naming.

For my local stop it is actually like on the Dublin bus website street1/street2. Searching for either in the TFI app returns no results. Which imo is a bug, stop names should at least match.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

When you have well over 1,000 buses being traced by RTPI over the country feeding into a system, if you are refreshing every few seconds that an awful lot of work to push everything from every bus, to a central server and out to all of the apps and signs every few seconds.The backend costs would be huge and reliability poor, so it's really not a runner. Every system of it's kind has a refresh window.
    GarIT wrote: »
    For my local stop it is actually like on the Dublin bus website street1/street2. Searching for either in the TFI app returns no results. Which imo is a bug, stop names should at least match.

It might work for some areas but in other areas you have a bunch of stops with pretty much the same name, there's some routes on Dublin Bus where the stop announcements call the same thing for a few stops in a row for example.

The TFI naming convention is superior to me because it should work in all areas unlike the DB ones where you have duplicate stop names and a name that tells you sometimes little as to where the stop actually is.

I agree that the DB stop names work in some places at junctions to roads where this is possible, but this doesn't work in all locations because of the reasons that another poster has pointed out.

GarIT wrote: »

These type of difficulties are inherent with text based search and give both data providers and app developers major headaches.

Which is why many apps (including TFI) offer location based search and map facilities. This takes unusual naming out of the equation.

• Advertisement

When you have well over 1,000 buses being traced by RTPI over the country feeding into a system, if you are refreshing every few seconds that an awful lot of work to push everything from every bus, to a central server and out to all of the apps and signs every few seconds.The backend costs would be huge and reliability poor, so it's really not a runner. Every system of it's kind has a refresh window.

Elaborating on this, take an example where AVL systems on buses push location every 5 seconds. These usually all go to a central server. Lets say that in GTFS based systems, the transit provider's server makes positions available for all buses on the network every 15 seconds. GTFS consumers like yourstop might also poll the transit provider for the latest positions of all buses every 15 seconds and store the information locally. Then in the specific case of yourstop, the client app or website is configured to refresh every 60 seconds from the server.

So in the worst case scenario you are talking about a bus position that is 5+15+15+60 seconds old. Which is why it is good to show the timestamp that is (often) transmitted with the GPS coordinates when showing location.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I am converted to using the Offi App, which I think CSalem recommended here. Refreshes itself as you move.

dfx- wrote: »
    I am converted to using the Offi App, which I think CSalem recommended here. Refreshes itself as you move.

Must be guessing at data then because the data updates from the vehicles and RTPI system don't get sent instantly for apps to latch on to, to show updates by the second etc.

Probably running off the old API as well.

Refresh button and functionality added now in todays update.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Still no sign of it on iPhone, app hasn't been updated in 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I received a notification earlier that the iPhone app will be updated soon and all favourites will be lost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iPhone app has been updated. It's very ugly even compared to the previous app. Obviously a poor port of the android version. I can't see anything better about it. I'd downgrade if I could. Need to find a new app now.

iPhone app has been updated. It's very ugly even compared to the previous app. Obviously a poor port of the android version. I can't see anything better about it. I'd downgrade if I could. Need to find a new app now.

The new app is using a different data feed that allows additional features to improve information accuracy that isn't open to all third party apps at the moment from what has been previously said, so you may want to bear this in mind.

The current version of the TFI App is a new app, not an upgrade of the older one, there is a different developer involved with this one, the same developer who has worked on similar systems for Transport for London.

The new app is using a different data feed that allows additional features to improve information accuracy that isn't open to all third party apps at the moment from what has been previously said, so you may want to bear this in mind.

The current version of the TFI App is a new app, not an upgrade of the older one, there is a different developer involved with this one, the same developer who has worked on similar systems for Transport for London.

Thanks for the info. If it's more accurate I might stick with it so. Hopefully it will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Even if the UI is very un user-friendly, the map and cancelled bus features are very useful. The amount of cancelled buses on some of the routes I use is shocking. The 41 in particular often has 1 in every 3 or 4 departures cancelled. Yesterday there were two 41s in a row and a 41c cancelled.

I also had a problem where a bus showed as real time in the app but at the stop the real time board didn't show the bus. The TFI app counted down to due and the bus never came. I've also had problems with inaccurate times.

It seems that the Dublin Bus app's information is more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

For a national transport app it’s shocking bad! Ui is crap could also do with some sort of explanation on what the wording triangles are every bus from tomorrow on a route I’d use has one

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is great that it is using a new data feed with better features, but the developer badly needs to hire a good UI/UX person.

The UI/UX of the app is terrible. It feels like something created by software engineers * technically fine, but poor understanding of UX.

For example why does the live bus icon look almost exactly like the bus stop icon (I know it is slightly different, but too slight)? As it is, it is very difficult to find the bus amongst all the bus stops on a busy road. Just colour the bus location icon a different colour and it will stand out much better. A green icon or something like that.

Hopefully the same data feed makes it into the better designed apps, like Google Maps, Moovit and Next Bus.

* I say that as a developer myself, writing code is a very different skillset and mindset to UI/UX design IMO.

Oh and looking at the route map for the 16, since when does the 16 go into Larkhill!

And there seems to be bugginess around showing the live buses, I can't quiet pin it down, but you some times need, to unselect and reselect the option to show live times to get it to work.

It is definitely a good addition, I can't wait to see this real time data come to the BE city buses in Cork. But the app needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Another thing to note is if you look up a route (e.g. 16), it gives one long list of all the available routes.
    It doesn't group the results by operator, meaning its not initially clear as to which route is the correct one.

bk wrote: »
    It is great that it is using a new data feed with better features, but the developer badly needs to hire a good UI/UX person.

The UI/UX of the app is terrible. It feels like something created by software engineers * technically fine, but poor understanding of UX.

It is done by Software ENgineers, these guys in fact:
    https://www.mentz.net/en/about-us/our-clients/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did the NTA take a look at their dog***** design website and think "that's just what we need"?

Or is this an EU mandated lowest tender fiasco?

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Did the NTA take a look at their dog***** design website and think "that's just what we need"?

Or is this an EU mandated lowest tender fiasco?

They're one of the market leaders in such systems and have clients all around the world including Transport for London, but it is fair to say they are more of a development company than interface experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're one of the market leaders in such systems and have clients all around the world including Transport for London, but it is fair to say they are more of a development company than interface experts.

It's a bit like saying "it's fair to say to they're more of a bunch of brick layers than architects" after you've paid em to redesign your house :o

Apps didn't exist in the 1970s but somehow they managed to make it look like a '70s app. It just shows how clueless the NTA are that they didn't see a problem

What bothers me is how open data is pushed round the world. In the UK you have the likes of the 2017 bus services act. In Ireland you have

https://data.gov.ie/

and I'm pretty sure countries like the USA and Canada have similar structures in place.

Don't get me wrong, this part of it is great and is the way to go. What seems to happen on the public transport side of things is that governing bodies pay a company to make the data open (still all good here) but then they pay the same company to bring the open data to the end user via an app or website.

It is the latter part that I would say is not good, in my opinion it is effectively a conflict of interest. Because once a government organisation invests in end user systems, there is very little incentive or interest in encouraging development against the open interfaces. It happens anyway but the feeling I get is that it is tolerated rather than welcomed.

In the case of the new TFI app, I do wonder why the new open data set release date is being pushed out yet the new app which is clearly using different data sources than before has been out for several weeks and is being continually enhanced and improved.

This phenomenon is not peculiar to Ireland either, rather it seems to be the way these things work. For example across the board, transport authorities will push their own apps. However you would be hard pushed to get them to list 3rd party apps on their website even though they are using their open data interfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

The user interface is dreadful, I’m really not sure how some suit in the NTA signed off on it. Buggy, slow, unclear, doesn’t fit the screen properly, etc. did they even bother to test the thing? The main word that comes to mind is unprofessional. No surprise there with the all conquering NTA.

How come their pet project Go Ahead’s buses don’t show their live position?

Kh1993 wrote: »
    How come their pet project Go Ahead’s buses don’t show their live position?

Probably because they are wanting to try the new feed and RTPI system with one operator first to see how it works before moving onto the next one. This is not uncommon for this kind of change. The old feed type doesn't support all of the functionality that the new app has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I assume that everyone is rating the add and leaving feedback on the App Store

I know, but you missed the point.

They clearly don't have any User Interface (UI) / User Experience (UX) person on their team. UI/UX is a different job to Software Engineer.

A good software development team has both Software Engineers AND one or more UI/UX designers. Ideally a separate UI and UX person as they aren't exactly the same thing.

The software engineers focus on doing the coding, while the UI/UX people design the interface and how the users interact with the app.

BTW There is definitely issues with the Real Time not matching reality. I waited for a 16 that was marked as "Real Time" today, which didn't appear on the RTPI screen and never turned up in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

bk wrote: »
    I know, but you missed the point.

They clearly don't have any User Interface (UI) / User Experience (UX) person on their team. UI/UX is a different job to Software Engineer.

A good software development team has both Software Engineers AND one or more UI/UX designers. Ideally a separate UI and UX person as they aren't exactly the same thing.

The software engineers focus on doing the coding, while the UI/UX people design the interface and how the users interact with the app.

BTW There is definitely issues with the Real Time not matching reality. I waited for a 16 that was marked as "Real Time" today, which didn't appear on the RTPI screen and never turned up in reality.

Same thing happened me in Limerick tonight. Ended up getting a taxi that cost me nearly €20, unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

I tried this update today for the first time, just to see how it works. Looked up a couple of busy stops in town I was near and the one thing I was amazed by was how many departures were cancelled, a huge amount for a Sunday I thought. It's quite an eye-opener when you see them all together like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

I was waiting for a bus at Dundrum on Saturday and the TFI Real Time app, TFI Journey Planner app and DB website were all showing different "real" times for the same bus at the same bus stop. Nowhere near the terminus either, they were all reporting live times. They also insisted that the bus had left my stop and continued to do so for the next ten minutes until the bus actually arrived.

Advertisement