Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to the USA permanently - help request

Options
  • 22-05-2019 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone,

Firstly I do apologise in advance to anyone this bothers. I realise there are a lot of threads out there on this. I've been doing my best to do my own research and have read plenty of sites and advice as well as Irish and US government sites. I do realise it's up to myself to get it done, but it is quite exhausting and confusing.

Anyway, I was hoping there might be someone here willing to engage with me directly to help me with this. If not, then it was worth a shot anyway!

To give a brief overview of myself. I'm 37, relatively recently divorced. I've lived in Dublin all my life, and now I want to relocate to the US to work and live. I've visited before and enjoyed it. I've given it plenty of thought. It's not a spur of the moment thing. It's time for a new chapter in my life, and this is what I'm aiming for.

I have a BA in Journalism (back from 2003) and 16+ years experience in the workplace in Events Promotion, Sports Journalism, Academic Administration and currently work in Admin in a sports-based company. I've never been arrested, charged or convicted of anything — clean slate across the board.

If anyone can help me with some advice as to how to best pursue this, then I'd be grateful for your help. From the process of applying to the best places to apply for jobs. Will my age and limited skill set count against me? All these questions and more.

As I said, I've read a lot of threads and pages, but it would be nice to engage with someone directly if there is anyone out there willing to help.

Thank you all for reading anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Do you have a visa? That's the first thing you should be looking at, trying to get. Does the company you work for have a US office...if so, they might be an option to help with this. Otherwise, it's the lottery every year.
    Keep looking/trying for options...not easy though. I've pretty much given up now. Hit 40 this year & 6 lottery entries later & nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lotech23

No, I don't have a visa. It would be a cakewalk if I did!

I'm more looking to see if getting a job and a sponsor is something that is viable and if there are recommended routes to try regarding to that. I know about the lottery, I'm trying to explore options that don't require such luck!

Thank you very much for your reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

lotech23 wrote: »
    No, I don't have a visa. It would be a cakewalk if I did!

I'm more looking to see if getting a job and a sponsor is something that is viable and if there are recommended routes to try regarding to that. I know about the lottery, I'm trying to explore options that don't require such luck!

Thank you very much for your reply though.

US labour laws make it almost impossible for an American employer to hire from abroad except in really limited circumstances.

When I was living in Australia, we had a project out in Nevada that would have taken about two months. I was literally the only person in the world who knew how to operate our prototype equipment and yet my company couldn't get it done. We were trying to do field trials with an American company and there was no way of getting me in there to work.

So instead they had to hire three Americans, fly them to Australia and I had to train them so they could go back and do the job.

This isn't the 1970s, it's basically impossible to move to the states unless you work in a critical area like medicine/software engineering or you're a world class academic/athelete/actor/investor etc.

You have to go with the lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

troyzer wrote: »

DV Lottery results (2018): S.Ire: 123 / N.Ire: 16

72/1 chance of success, based on est 10k? apps across the Island.
    Don't have any more recent data (DV-2019/20), but assume it's similar.

It's not like Europe, where you can show up on a dingy.

DV Lottery results (2018): S.Ire: 123 / N.Ire: 16

72/1 chance of success, based on est 10k? apps across the Island.
    Don't have any more recent data (DV-2019/20), but assume it's similar.

It's not like Europe, where you can show up on a dingy.

72/1 isn't bad when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Your problem as you likely know yourself is your age, your skillset, and Trump. There just isn't a shortage of supply of your skillset, nor such a demand for your skillset that can't be met by unskilled labour in the US or by outsourcing.

You've fallen at the very first hurdle here, and I'd almost park the idea before you build yourself up only to be bitterly disappointed. This isn't a sher I'll stick in an application and see how it goes. You are bottom of the pile, you haven't an asses hope in hell.

Speak with a crowd called Think Global Recruitment if you have to. I met their lead, an Abigail Stevens, a couple of months ago in Dublin and I'm very impressed by her. She's a fine looking woman as well, and very personable, but more importantly (to keep this professional here) her group are good people and they'll chat with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

72/1 isn't bad when you think about it.

72(+18)yrs might be well into pensionable age.

Estimate was for 10k applicants, imagine many final year Uni students or 20-somethings will take a glance at urban rental prices, unpaid intermships, then consider the likes of well paid working holidays (aus/can/nz), perhaps even slogging it over in Londonistan.

So a free 5min DV entry application to the land of opportunity, might be high on their yearly checklist, actual numbers could be double+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If anyone can help me with some advice as to how to best pursue this, then I'd be grateful for your help. From the process of applying to the best places to apply for jobs. Will my age and limited skill set count against me? All these questions and more.

Easiest way is to marry an American. Second easiest way is to work for US-based company in Ireland and have them relocate you. Next easiest way is to find a job in a US institution that is exempt from the H1-B visa cap. After that there's finding a job that will sponsor you for H1-B visa and that you come up in the lottery.

Marriage visa would be K-1 or CR-1
    Intra-company transfer visa would be L1-A or L1-B
    Finding a job direct with US company would be H1-B but unless employer is cap-exempt, your chances are 1 in 5 or so even with a job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

I would advise you try the lottery regardless. It's certainly worth a go. Investigate other avenues. Perhaps you know someone who has relocated to the US who can be of at least partial assistance to you.

A friend of mine moved to NYC about 3 years back to work in a very mid level finance job. He certainly wasn't more qualified than every other American in his field so it's absolutley possible to get a job over there. Not easy by any means. But still possible.

I'd advise you to ignore people who talk to you about having fallen at the first hurdle and not having an assess chance in hell. Some of the input here has come across as dismissive and quite embittered. That's just my opinion though.

I certainly wouldn't let broad generalisations deter you. If you're at a point in your life where you feel like you want to attempt to do this then I just suggest you really dig into it.

Posters like circular flex are who you should pay attention to. He/she has provided some solid information and viable means of gaining entry.

It's certainly not a forlorn hope as some on here would have you believe.

You have a degree, a solid CV from what I can tell so perhaps looking for work with an American company may be something you can look into. It could certainly be a stepping stone in the process.

Good luck to you. Try and siphon out the good constructive advice from those who just want to paint doom and gloom is all I'd say!

Easiest way is to marry an American. Second easiest way is to work for US-based company in Ireland and have them relocate you. Next easiest way is to find a job in a US institution that is exempt from the H1-B visa cap. After that there's finding a job that will sponsor you for H1-B visa and that you come up in the lottery.

Marriage visa would be K-1 or CR-1
    Intra-company transfer visa would be L1-A or L1-B
    Finding a job direct with US company would be H1-B but unless employer is cap-exempt, your chances are 1 in 5 or so even with a job offer.

Thanks a mill. this was all very helpful

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill. this was all very helpful

No problems. It's worth researching the visas yourself. That list is not exhaustive but those would be the most common.

And I would echo the advice to ignore the naysayers here. It's definitely hard to get a visa for the US but it's not impossible. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time is all you need - for example, the company I work for was bought out by an American company and I got an L1 visa through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do some research on the US equivalent of your current job in Ireland.

Try to pick a few geographical areas that you might think you'd like to move to.

Find out who are the big recruiters in that area.

Get your CV in good order and send it out to them on spec and you might be lucky.

Make sure you tell them you need a visa, if you don't they will assume you already have one.

Thank you very much for your encouragement and advice. I'll obviously keep doing my own research and grunt work but some outside perspective is always helpful. Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

This is good advice. Depending on your circumstances, you might also consider starting a company in the US. Check out E2 visas (or, if you have $500,000 or $1,000,000 to spare, EB-5 visas.)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

the company I work for was bought out by an American company and I got an L1 visa through that.

Thats huge odds though. I don't think the whole 'work for an American company' is a viable route, because your fellow Irish team members would be sour if they found out you were just joining the team in order to move to the US office. There is a massive cost to the employer to transfer you too.

I worked for a huge multi-national tech company as a software engineer with dozens of recruiters regularly chasing me in Ireland. As soon as I mentioned I wanted a role in America I did not hear from them again.

Not being a nay-sayer, but you can only get you so far while here in Ireland. I would try reaching out to someone in a company you like or a role similar to yours (on LinkedIn). Get a rapport going. Mention casually you will be in town next month, can we grab coffee?. Basically book a return flight and spend a week or two networking in person. You never know.

Bottom line is it will be a struggle just to get somebody to consider you over the web. Start networking hard.

jme2010 wrote: »
    Thats huge odds though. I don't think the whole 'work for an American company' is a viable route, because your fellow Irish team members would be sour if they found out you were just joining the team in order to move to the US office. There is a massive cost to the employer to transfer you too.

The vast majority of people I know who moved to the US did so on L1 visa so I actually think it's the most viable route. There's obviously a large number of US companies with a presence in Ireland and L1 can be advantageous for US employer as it ties employee to that employer. In any case, contracts that state that visa costs have to be repaid if employee leaves before a certain period of time are pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

EB1 green card is another route. Hugh requirements, but no job offer is required. You can self petition and self file, and also save money by not using a lawyer. Just be ready to do lots of research and writing to get your file in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've 28 other. Nations with free open visa access to you.

Don't fixate on the US op. Frankly I think you may need a bit more exploring

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Head to Canada instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

myshirt wrote: »
    Your problem as you likely know yourself is your age, your skillset, and Trump. .

Fyi. Trump is a proponent of qualified immigration, with points for suitable qualifications.

The OP is better off under Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Head to Canada instead.

what is the living cost like compared to the states

cena wrote: »
    Head to Canada instead.

what is the living cost like compared to the states

Depends where in Canada and where in the states.

Vancouver is more expensive than rural Montana. San Francisco is more expensive than a village in Alberta.

Easier to get a Canadian visa and eventually citizenship.

America doesn't want you unless you are really highly skilled in a field - medicines, sciences, IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The vast majority of people I know who moved to the US did so on L1 visa so I actually think it's the most viable route. There's obviously a large number of US companies with a presence in Ireland and L1 can be advantageous for US employer as it ties employee to that employer. In any case, contracts that state that visa costs have to be repaid if employee leaves before a certain period of time are pretty common.

But there are thousands of people who work for US companies in Ireland who never get the opportunity to get an L1.

Getting the opportunity to get a L1 all depends on whether the company require a particular employee or position to relocate to the US due to a whole host of reasons.

Finding a job in a company that fits that is a total long shot.

Thanks for all the input. However, this isn't a thread about moving to Canada so that's really not helpful to answer a question I didn't ask.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the input. However, this isn't a thread about moving to Canada so that's really not helpful to answer a question I didn't ask.

Thanks again

People made helpful suggestions as your original question is a complete non runner.
    The US is a closed shop to 99% of the world if you want to work legally.
    Consider going elsewhere if you want to emigrate. Journalists and administration staff aren't in demand in the United states.
    Good luck with your emigration, don't get focused on the USA, it's a big world.

People made helpful suggestions as your original question is a complete non runner.
    Consider going elsewhere if you want to emigrate. Journalists and administration staff aren't in demand in the United states.

The only way that Canada is easier is if you are under 35 and qualify for IEC program. Someone who is over that age with no Canadian work experience or Canadian education will struggle to get enough points to qualify for Express Entry. The only other options (aside from marriage/common law) are employer sponsorship through LMIA or one of the provincial nomination programs. LMIAs have no service standard for approval. can take 6+ months to be approved and have a high rate of refusal. PNP also needs some form of job offer and e.g. Ontario costs $1500 and BC also operates a points system for their PNP. Some of the prairie provinces have lower requirements but who the hell wants to actually go live in Mantioba? So Canada is not easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Just to point out as well, if you go over on a visa waiver (what some call a holidayor visitor visa but there is no such thing actually) you are not actually allowed to make any efforts to try and obtain a green card/citizenship, establish permanent residency, OR seek employment during your holiday. Technically anyway. It says it on the form.

Green Card (non lottery) application is i think 900 euro ish and takes years and you would need some kind of really solid connection to the states like an American spouse.

Just to point out as well, if you go over on a visa waiver (what some call a holidayor visitor visa but there is no such thing actually)

The US State Department would beg to differ https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html
    you are not actually allowed to make any efforts to try and obtain a green card/citizenship, establish permanent residency, OR seek employment during your holiday. Technically anyway. It says it on the form.

You are allowed to look for jobs and seek interviews on B1/2, you are not allowed to sign a contract or actually work and you cannot adjust status.
    Green Card (non lottery) application is i think 900 euro ish and takes years and you would need some kind of really solid connection to the states like an American spouse.

Generally most green card applications (outside of spouse green card applications) are filed by employers/sponsors and I believe they are liable to pay all associated fees. Depending on the employment category there could be wait for your filing date to become current. Once your date becomes current figure about 12-18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Honestly I don't get what posters like you gain from this. It's not a complete non runner as has been abundantly outlined by other posters. If you want to be dismissive of what the OP is trying to do fine but why bother commenting at all.

Answering questions that aren't asked isn't helpful either. And FYI a friend of mine got a job working as a broadcast journalist in Houston last year so you're also talking through your rear end. Apart from that it was a great post :rolleyes:

Advertisement