Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    87% of your taxes go on health, education and social welfare. The rest is things like the security services, military, administration and a smattering of other services. None of which is remotely unique to Ireland or even slightly unusual compared to other countries. Which of these would you suggest we get rid of and make private and funded by commercial fees?
    Nearly all of them would cost way more for individuals to shoulder than spread out over society as a whole which is why we do them via tax in the first place.

Ireland is unusually dependent on income taxes to fund services. Property taxes and water fees were attempts at reducing this but both are severely hobbled.

Other countries can rely on a more diverse base of taxes to fund proposals like free travel. In the Irish context it makes little sense to tell a worker he doesn't have to buy a bus ticket anymore but now his taxes are higher to pay for it.

You need to consider what happens when the next recession rolls around the income tax receipts drop. Now your free public transport system is competing with health and education and will lose every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There already are flights subsidised by the taxpayer, I don't agree with it but they're there

If Dublin or another city gets free PT, Aran islanders would have a strong case for free flights. It's not as outlandish as it sounds (if you accept that free PT isn't an outlandish idea in itself)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Except free public transport won't get people out of their cars it won't do anything to reduce climate change or emissions. The only people who it may attract to use public transport would be people who already use sustainable modes of transport ie walking or cycling to use public transport instead. More people will likely end up using public transport to go short journeys which they would otherwise walk.

How do you know this?
    Have you studied what happened when free public transport was introduced in other places?
    Or is it just 'common sense'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

RayCun wrote: »
    How do you know this?
    Have you studied what happened when free public transport was introduced in other places?
    Or is it just 'common sense'?

The fact is within Dublin at least it is already cheaper to use public transport than to own a car. So if cost was the main basis as to why people don't use public transport then people would already be out of their cars and onto public transport. Public transport is already the cheapest form of motorised transport.

The fact is within Dublin at least it is already cheaper to use public transport than to own a car. So if cost was the main basis as to why people don't use public transport then people would already be out of their cars and onto public transport. Public transport is already the cheapest form of motorised transport.

It is cheaper to use public transport than to own a car. But many people own cars already, so they are comparing the marginal cost of taking a trip by car to the cost of public transport. Plus, the marginal cost of taking the car might be invisible - it means going to the petrol station more often but there isn't a felt connection between the petrol station and the morning commute.

It may be the case that free public transport doesn't change commuting habits to any great extent. But it sounds like a testable proposition, where we don't need to rely on uninformed opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

RayCun wrote: »
    It is cheaper to use public transport than to own a car. But many people own cars already, so they are comparing the marginal cost of taking a trip by car to the cost of public transport. Plus, the marginal cost of taking the car might be invisible - it means going to the petrol station more often but there isn't a felt connection between the petrol station and the morning commute.

I was more talking in reference to 9-5 commuters rather than occasional weekend or off peak public transport users such as families. Even if you already own a car with yearly costs such as tax and insurance and you are using it to travel to work or college it's going to be less to have a taxsaver ticket than it is to cover your weekly petrol costs incurred by daily commuting costs as someone who uses their car to get to and from work everyday is going spend an awful lot more on petrol than an occasional car user and that's not to mention parking charges aswell.

There may be a case for free public transport targeted at specific markets such as families. For example you could make an argument for schemes where children travelling with families goes free at weekends or on Sundays or all public transport is free on BH weekends but across the board I don't think it would make sense to offer free public transport across the board.

Even if you already own a car with yearly costs such as tax and insurance and you are using it to travel to work or college it's going to be less to have a taxsaver ticket than it is to cover your weekly petrol costs incurred by daily commuting costs as someone who uses their car to get to and from work everyday is going spend an awful lot more on petrol than an occasional car user and that's not to mention parking charges aswell.

That is going to depend on a lot of factors, surely - car type, journey distance, etc etc. I know I could drive in and out of work every day for much less than the cost of the journey on the LUAS. (less than 10k each way, free parking)

(I don't, but I could)

Plus even if we said, for the sake of argument, that public transport was a couple of euro cheaper a week, that might not be enough to move the scales for a lot of people. While 15 euro/week cheaper would be.

Again, the best way to settle this is not by us trading scenarios but by looking at real-world data on the effects of free public transport on commuting patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not too many junkies and winos in Luxembourg, I imagine.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not too many junkies and winos in Luxembourg, I imagine.

Struggling to understand this post and the thought process that created it

• Advertisement

What's to stop undesirables from riding around all day for free just because they can?

Life ain't always empty.

What's to stop undesirables from riding around all day for free just because they can?

Not sure I follow you, all the junkies get onto buses for free at present. It's the normals who have to pay.

Actually they don't.
    It's the Luas they get on for free, but so can anyone else if they want to risk it, and if caught without a ticket can be thrown off

Life ain't always empty.

Actually they don't.
    It's the Luas they get on for free, but so can anyone else if they want to risk it, and if caught without a ticket can be thrown off

I think you're just being silly now, I see junkies daily getting on to buses with their 'disabled' free pass, they used to be paper and now there's an electronic version.

Drug addiction does not qualify for a free pass, there must be some other reason.
    Do you want to give anyone and everyone the right to hang around on public transport all day if they want, with no possibility of ejecting them for not paying? How is that a good idea?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Luxembourg has a few differences going for it to Ireland in relation to their free travel proposals.
    • It has a chronic road congestion problem that urgently needs tackling.
    i think you mistakenly put that in the list of the differences between luxembourg and ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

i think you mistakenly put that in the list of the differences between luxembourg and ireland.

I don't think we have chronic congestion.

I think there is appalling attitude from people, which has developed from a lack of knowledge of how to use those roads.

The utter lack of a will to enforce basic legislation just makes it worse.

The RSA and their advertising campaigns do not help

Drug addiction does not qualify for a free pass, there must be some other reason.
    Do you want to give anyone and everyone the right to hang around on public transport all day if they want, with no possibility of ejecting them for not paying? How is that a good idea?

Yeah, ok, so they say they've a bad back so, point is, junkies are regularly using dissabled passes on buses as things stand.

So that's an argument for tightening up the existing rules.

Free public transport doesn't do anything good for working commuters, apart from a relatively small saving (and tney already get tax relief on taxsaver tickets.)

What it does do is enable undesirables to take advantage of a public resource to the detriment of those who contribute to society.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't think we have chronic congestion.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-one-of-worst-cities-in-world-for-traffic-congestion-1.3791651

if you accept the methodology of the above study, we have some of the worst in the world.

• Advertisement

also, if the main objection to the notion of free public transport is 'because junkies', i suspect we're not looking at the issue with any rigour.

for example, a simple solution could be four free trips per day on leap card. after that, you pay. that would probably cover a considerable majority of people who have a pass anyway, and would not allow people to surf the luas/bus all day.

I think people are confused about what 'the problem' is. The problem isn't that the cost of public transport is prohibitive or that not enough people use it.

The problem is that there is not enough PT capacity to accommodate existing users, much less accommodate new ones
    If you have a car and free work place parking, you'll drive, no matter what PT is on offer.
    If PT were free the first impact this would have is moving people who cycle and walk onto PT, which is counter productive given the limited capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Free public transport doesn't do anything good for working commuters, apart from a relatively small saving (and tney already get tax relief on taxsaver tickets.)
    The saving from free public transport for working commuters would be significantly more than the pittance of relief they get on taxsaver tickets, particularly those on the lower rate of tax. Even if public transport were free those who have to drive to the bus/train station would still have to pay parking costs so it wouldn't be completely free for them.
    What it does do is enable undesirables to take advantage of a public resource to the detriment of those who contribute to society.
    I agree but junkies do add a bit of colour to the red luas :D

Seriously you are right about free public transport taking advantage of a public resource. OAPs are well behaved and pleasant and have contributed to the system. However the introduction of free travel all the time rather than at off-peak times significantly contributes to congestion on public transport at peak commuting times. Last week an entire train carriage was taken up by members of a 65 plus women's group on the 17.35 Heuston to Waterford. This meant the train was more congested than usual at the outset. Imagine a carriage full of junkies and they mayhem they would cause! :eek:
    cgcsb wrote: »
    If you have a car and free work place parking, you'll drive, no matter what PT is on offer.
    I have a car and free workplace parking but I would rather brave public transport than the hell of the N7 particularly at the moment with the snail's pace of work in progress.
    If PT were free the first impact this would have is moving people who cycle and walk onto PT, which is counter productive given the limited capacity.
    I don't agree. I used to live within cycling distance of work. Nothing then would have induced me to take public transport to work, even if it had been free. Many people who walk and cycle choose to do so for health reasons instead of sitting on public transport.

Also public transport routes may not be convenient for those who walk and cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Give emoyees who need to commute leap cards, simalier to the Taxsaver scheme but with a 75% tax credit. Reduce fares and cut out companion passed as part of the free travel unless the person has a disability that requires somebody else to travel with them.

Routes and services will also have to change to suit those who use the service daily. A service from Balanchardstown centre to Sandyford would save plenty of M3 commuters the track into the city or save many others from Driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Free transport just won’t work in Ireland the capacity just isn’t there and I wouldn’t trust any party in this country to invest the money thats needed to bring it up to scratch, small improvements should be what is focused on starting with the bus connect plan and electrification of Dublin commuter rail lines.

Emme wrote: »
    I have a car and free workplace parking but I would rather brave public transport than the hell of the N7 particularly at the moment with the snail's pace of work in progress.

I don't agree. I used to live within cycling distance of work. Nothing then would have induced me to take public transport to work, even if it had been free. Many people who walk and cycle choose to do so for health reasons instead of sitting on public transport.

Also public transport routes may not be convenient for those who walk and cycle.

While that's great, and good on you, this is personal anecdote. Modelling shows the Dublin commuter is highly cost insensitive, as one would expect from a City that has already 70% suburb-city sustainable mode commuting.

Once BusConnects, MetroLink and expanded DART network are in place, I'd expect the focus to shift towards the Oslo model, which penalises driving by effectively removing all street parking, bar loading, ev charging and some disabled parking. The multi storeys must also be tackled, starting with BTs and Arnotts, more space should be handed over to walking and cycling. A new Tallaght-Beaumont metro and new luas lines should also be invested in. With a bit of momentum, Dublin can be the new Copenhagen. We spent so long aping what was standard practice in provincial parts of the UK, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Once BusConnects, MetroLink and expanded DART network are in place, I'd expect the focus to shift towards the Oslo model, which penalises driving by effectively removing all street parking, bar loading, ev charging and some disabled parking. The multi storeys must also be tackled, starting with BTs and Arnotts, more space should be handed over to walking and cycling. A new Tallaght-Beaumont metro and new luas lines should also be invested in. With a bit of momentum, Dublin can be the new Copenhagen. We spent so long aping what was standard practice in provincial parts of the UK, time to move on.

I wouldn’t be confident of any of them all three have been delayed and redesigned at least once

I wouldn’t be confident of any of them all three have been delayed and redesigned at least once

Probably. Sure look we can just move to the Middle East for a while, wait for Ireland to implode, come home and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not saying we should. But if we were to move to free travel, then you'd want to get rid of the Leap cards and ticket machines.

You'd at least save on the cost of those and you would benefit from speed up dwell times. You could even start movign to 3/4 door bus operation.

But yes, I don't think we have the capacity for this at the moment. The buses/trains/trams are already full.

Perhaps we could use the eventual move to congestion charging to do this. Use the funding from congestion charging to give free travel, expand numbers of buses, etc. and it would look good to help ease in congestion charging. So not such a wild idea from that perspective.

Advertisement