Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuberculosis Hospital in Upper Palmerstown 1900

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me if they would know if there was a Tuberculosis Hospital in Upper Palmerstown 1900, District of Clondalkin

My Great Grand mother died in 1906 at the there but i just cant find any records,

I know this is the right address as i have it on the death certificate

Unless there was a hospice or special home for Tuberculousis

Any clues or help??

please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

what's the name of the informant ?

If it's the manager or doctor for the hospice I might be able to locate details in a Thom's directory..

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Death certificate just gave the address as Upper Palmerstown

didnt say if it was a hospital

but she died 1st April 1906

Margaret Macfarlane (Parker)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

faolteam wrote: »
    Death certificate just gave the address as Upper Palmerstown

didnt say if it was a hospital

but she died 1st April 1906

Margaret Macfarlane (Parker)

Cherry Orchard Hospital...its on the edge of Palmerstown/Ballyfermot....its still there..and was used quite recently as a TB hospital....though now its for elderly people ..used as a nursing home.

as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I was gonna say cherry orchard as well... what about peamount ... i think it is bordering clondalkin or st lomans hospital

• Advertisement

as far as i know

actually there was another in Lucan close to Lomans near the old road to Clondalkin...I can just bout remember it....theres loads of houses built on it now.Peamount is more Newcastle/Lucan area.

as far as i know

Ballyowen Lane area....

i think the secret here is the time 1906, so what was around then that may not necessarily be around now

Palmerston Upper is a townland of 204 acres located in the civil parish of Palmerston, it's located right at the M50 M4 junction, and a large section of it is now occupied by the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

You can see it on the OSI maps - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,707825,735017,5,7

Select the Historic 25" map to view details from about 1890. The 6" maps are earlier (1820/1840), and show the townland boundaries in red.

I dont see any hospital in the townland on the 1890s map.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The key word for doing a Google search is "sanatorium"; a sanatorium was a hospital specifically constructed for the treatment of TB (not that there was much effective treatment in pre-Penicillin days).

Peamount was a sanatorium.

• Advertisement

i think the secret here is the time 1906, so what was around then that may not necessarily be around now

I found a sanatorium in Ballyowen ,but the date mentioned is 1953..I think the way the article is worded is suggesting that it was built then.

Here are links to the townland of Palmersto[w]n Upper on the 1901 and 1911 census. Maybe there's a relative of your Margaret, or the death cert informant listed ?

1901 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Palmerstown/Palmerstown_Upper/

1911 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Palmerstown/Palmerstown_Upper/

The 1911 building return (Form B1) shows mostly private house, plus a forge and the school - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000109580/

Shane

i can tell you that the person im looking for was alive living 1901 in ;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Upper_Mount_Pleasant_Terrace/1294559/

she is the person on the bottom of the list

with such an infectious disease is it possible because they were presbeterians she may have been staying with friends while she was poorily ??? mer death was Pulmonary Tuberculous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

As I said earlier, there was no effective treatment for TB back then. I think you are right to suggest that infectiousness was a concern, and she might have been removed from the family home for the sake of the rest of the family, particularly the children.

There was a belief that clean fresh air was good for TB sufferers, and sanatoriums were built in places where it was thought the air was clean. That obviously included the area to the west of the city, because Peamount was built there. Somewhere I have picked up the idea that the sanatorium was just a little later than 1906. It might be that she was sent to a private nursing home in that area, or perhaps to stay with friends or relations.

As mattjack mentioned earlier Cherry Orchard Hospital would be the nearest... if it existed at the time. The current hospital is located in the townland of Blackditch, and only about 1km south-east of the townland of Palmertown Upper.

As far as I can tell the hospital at Cherry Orchard only opened in the 1950s, when facilities originally based in Cork St. were moved there - see : http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2002/12/17/00029.asp

Shane

you asked me about an informant

i will try and get that for you tomorrow

is a E O'Sullivan

has on it ;

Superintendent Registar District south dublin union registar district clondalkinin the union of south dublin

her husband was present at death

So her husband was the informant and E O'Sullivan is the Registrar.

I was hoping that the informant might be someone we could search for in Palmerstown Upper to see if there were any clues there..

If her husband was the informant, maybe the family moved to the Palmerstown area from Ranelagh sometime after 1901...

He seems to have remarried and moved with the family to the South Circular Road by the 1911 return : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Usher_s_Quay/Circular_Road_South__Kilmainham/52630/

Shane

this that on the 25 November 1900 she gave birth to a son she was living at upper Mount Pleasant Terrace

then in 1902, she had another son born 9th August 1902, and they were living at mount pleasant parade

so from August 1902 till 1st April 1906 she Got tuberculocus and passed away in 1906 i guess they could have moved out to clondalkin but i find this a very big jump, as far as i know from family history, The husband Sisters came over from Scotland and minded the kids for a while and that when the

Mother died in 11 April 1906, that the husband married again on 7th January 1907 8 months later he had remarried and they were living in Knockarow terrace Kilmainham, so this is why i find Clondalkin a big Jump for teh whole family to move so teh story of their auntie coming over and minding them may be true,

From the details we've seen so far it sounds likely to me that William may have arranged to move Mary out into county Dublin for the fresh-air, which as mentioned earlier was the standard treatment for TB at the time. The children might have stayed south city with their aunts minding them.

The fact that William is the informant suggests he may have been temporarily living in Palmerstown - or was still based in ether Ranelagh or SCR and just happened to be there when she died.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I'm just looking at this old thread from 2011 and 9 years later im no nearer to finding an Answer but the Mystery Continues

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Please don't drag up old threads just for the sake of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement